Spyderco fixed blade users...rank them!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Re: Spyderco fixed blade users...rank them!

Post by tvenuto »

GoldenSpydie wrote:It looks like you also need the 440C Golden-made Whale Rescue Blade.
I also notice a lack of a bushcraft blank. AMAZING FB collection, though. I'll rank my 4...

1. Aqua salt SE - handheld chainsaw, great sheath
2. Mule Team 15 - a nice little around the house fixed blade
3. Warrior - I've cut my wedding cake with it...not much else, though
4. Bushcraft blank - one day I'll get around to putting some scales on this badboy, but for not it's never left the box

Admittedly, my FB collection is small, and I use them very seldom. Folding knives for EDC are far more practical for me, as carrying a concealed FB is illegal where I am. I do lust after MANY of Spyderco's FB designs, and only wish I had more use for them. One day I'll live out in the country...
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

tvenuto wrote:
GoldenSpydie wrote:It looks like you also need the 440C Golden-made Whale Rescue Blade.
I also notice a lack of a bushcraft blank. AMAZING FB collection, though. I'll rank my 4...

1. Aqua salt SE - handheld chainsaw, great sheath
2. Mule Team 15 - a nice little around the house fixed blade
3. Warrior - I've cut my wedding cake with it...not much else, though
4. Bushcraft blank - one day I'll get around to putting some scales on this badboy, but for not it's never left the box

Admittedly, my FB collection is small, and I use them very seldom. Folding knives for EDC are far more practical for me, as carrying a concealed FB is illegal where I am. I do lust after MANY of Spyderco's FB designs, and only wish I had more use for them. One day I'll live out in the country...

Isn't that it down below the lower Schempp Rock and Whale Rescue? On the box?
Going back to Caly.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I wish I had more of a reason to carry the warrior. It's a bad *** knife.

And I always thought the vagabond was a really good design for throwing in a tool box or glove box or even pocket without needing to worry about a sheath. I personally think it's a great design for throwing out LC200N into the mainstream.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I think the Lum Tanto is BEEEEE-YOUUUUUU-TEEEEE-FUL!

Problem is I don't know what to do with it. So it just sits and I just admire it.

My SE Aqua Salt on the other hand gets used almost daily as a kitchen knife. It works great with rotisserie chicken and other cooked meats, especially with cutting pieces into child-sized bites.
Reject

Post by Reject »

For processing wood, the Hossom is king. It cuts more like an axe than a knife.

For EDC, the Street Beat, the first version just for style. Though the new light weight would work just as well.

For larger EDC it would be a toss up between the Perrin Street Bowie and the Aqua Salt. Near salt water, the Aqua would win.

Camp knife, one knife to do it all would be the Temperance. The Moran if for camp and hunting.

And how could you not love the Ronin?

Then there is the unique Vagabond.

Have only jumped out of a plane once and the chute did tangle. Didn’t know it until I started spinning. I’ll have one of these with me next time.

And love the Maddox.

I think you are starting get the picture, :o they are all great knives. Each is built to serve a particular need and they all excel at their job.
How much can a Koala bear?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpeedHoles wrote:
tvenuto wrote:
I also notice a lack of a bushcraft blank.
No that's the woodcraft mule, FB27. That one was never made as a full knife as far as I know. The bushcraft blanks were sold directly from the SFO only, like mules, and are just unscaled bushcrafts.
Reject

Post by Reject »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
Reject wrote:The Ronin2 :D is the next on the list to get, and then there is the Sprig when it comes out.

:( There are a couple of models of the Spot missing.
Then there is the elusive model FB13 :spyder: ; beautiful knife, :o but almost impossible to find.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think there was such a thing as an FB13? :confused:

It looks like you also need the 440C Golden-made Whale Rescue Blade.
Sorry! :o I was joking about the FB13.
Just throwing a bit of bait out there to see if I could get a bite. Image

Image I did not know about the 440C Whale Rescue Blade.

That :confused: is going to be a hard one to find.
tvenuto wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:
tvenuto wrote:
I also notice a lack of a bushcraft blank.
No that's the woodcraft mule, FB27. That one was never made as a full knife as far as I know. The bushcraft blanks were sold directly from the SFO only, like mules, and are just unscaled bushcrafts.
:) FB26SPEC Bushcraft W/O handle, centre row 5 down.
Last edited by Reject on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
How much can a Koala bear?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Reject wrote: :) FB26SPEC Bushcraft W/O handle, centre role 5 down.
Ha there it is plain as day. I stand corrected, you've really got them all!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Reject wrote:Image I did not know about he 440C Whale Rescue Blade.

That :confused: is going to be a hard one to find.
Indeed. They were only made for the rescue agencies, and I have never seen one on the market.

Here's a link to the Spyderco page concerning them:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For quite some time now I've used both my TEMPERANCE 1 models ( PE & SE) almost everyday for the longest duration of just about any knife I've ever owned. I do admire the refinement and functional beauty of the TEMP 2 but there is just something about the TEMP 1 model that tells me that they got it right the first time around ;) I've also used my STREETBEAT a lot more in the past year and a half I've been EDCing it at least once or twice a week. Sometimes I'll EDC one of my TEMP 1 models when I'm going to do outdoor type cutting chores or especially during most of my food prep chores as well.

I really would love to see the TEMP 1 in a Sprint Run with one of the newer/better supersteels>> I also believe it could be a real big hit if they woud ever put it in the H-1 Salt Series. Until I got to using my TEMP 1 models ( PE & SE) and STREETBEAT model I never really used a fixed blade much but now I actually use them about as much as I do my folders.

There truly was something really special about Spyderco's early model fixed blades. I am glad that the MORAN models have attained a permanent spot in the main line up but I hope that the TEMP 1 will someday be resurrected :cool:
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

1) Rock Salt
2) Ronin
3) Warrior
4) Spot
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My favorite. MT18 ;)

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

SpeedHoles wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Enuff was a great user but I had the 1st gen sheath that sucked and sold it as a result. I bet the 2nd gen sheath rocks

Next up: "Spyderco Factory Sheaths...Rank them!" :)
Would definitely be a different story, like all my Spydies but some like my Enuff I still haven´t used outside of my house because the sheath is useless.. The sheath on my ARK was quite bad as well but the ARK being so lightweight that could be helped with a rubber band.

Favorite fixed blade Spydies are the Perrin designs, also the ones that have seen alot of use.
(#1 Street Beat)
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

I have Ronins and a Temperance, and they are too different to rank, each blade/handle design being suited to some tasks, and less-suited for others. In each case, these are the originals; I bought most of my present knives from the Nineties to about 2004. It is not that newer Spyderco products are not good; I simply reached a kind of "set point," with all needs met.
Last edited by RexGig0 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Joris Mo wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Enuff was a great user but I had the 1st gen sheath that sucked and sold it as a result. I bet the 2nd gen sheath rocks

Next up: "Spyderco Factory Sheaths...Rank them!" :)
Would definitely be a different story, like all my Spydies but some like my Enuff I still haven´t used outside of my house because the sheath is useless.. The sheath on my ARK was quite bad as well but the ARK being so lightweight that could be helped with a rubber band.

Favorite fixed blade Spydies are the Perrin designs, also the ones that have seen alot of use.
(#1 Street Beat)

What was the complaint with the Enuff sheath?
Going back to Caly.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

SpeedHoles wrote:
What was the complaint with the Enuff sheath?
The sheath is cheap and doesn't fit properly. They tried to use the same sheath for all of the Enuff blade shapes. The knife rattles and moves inside the sheath. I also never carry my Enuff because the sheath was a major fail. Too bad.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

If I have to rank them by actual usage, the kitchen knives win by a loooong shot
1. K04 SE
2. K05 PE
3. Southfork
4. Mule
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Brock O Lee wrote: 1. K04 SE
2. K05 PE

Have you made sheaths for them yet? :p
Going back to Caly.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

SpeedHoles wrote: Have you made sheaths for them yet? :p
The thought has crossed my mind... :) I took them camping in Oct as food prep knives in their cardboard "sheaths" and left the Southfork and Mule at home! I just cannot bear the thought of my SF being subjected to the typical abuse my paring knives see. Most family members have no sympathy for a fine edge, even after several lessons from my side, and I don't want to supervise everyone the whole time.

Thats the beauty of good but inexpensive knives, be it Victorinox SAKs or Moras, or some Spydercos: you can use them at 110% without concern for damage or loss or worry about how difficult they will be to sharpen later.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bodog wrote:I wish I had more of a reason to carry the warrior. It's a bad *** knife.

And I always thought the vagabond was a really good design for throwing in a tool box or glove box or even pocket without needing to worry about a sheath. I personally think it's a great design for throwing out LC200N into the mainstream.
I've gone on record in the past two months saying that the older/discontinued VAGABOND model would be a great candidate for a Sprint Run in either the H-1 Salt Series or in one of the new supersteels>> and I also like what "Bodog" says about the possibility of it also being made with the LC200N which Spyderco has used in the TUSK model.

But first I would more so like to see the TEMP 1 return in a new blade steel. Because the TEMP 1 is the best "user" fixed blade I've ever owned>> even in VG-10 it's a work-horse dream knife. Also I wish that Spyderco would offer up more fixed blades in Spyderedge.