Fixed Blades versus Folders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Fixed Blades versus Folders?

Post by JD Spydo »

When I first got bit by the Spyder back in 1995 when I got my very first Spyderco folder ( GIN-1 Mariner SE) at that time Spyderco didn't have a huge presence in the fixed blade sector of the knife market. But in the past 12 to 14 years Spyderco has more than made their presence felt throughout the knife industry in the fixed blade sector as well as their superb quality folders.

Just in the past 5 years or so I've really come to further appreciate high quality fixed blade knives and in some cases more so than the folders that I love so dearly. The one fixed blade I'm just become fanatical about is the older FB05 TEMPERANCE 1 model>> Yeah I like the TEMP 2 as well but the TEMP 1 makes me say that they had it right to begin with. The main thing I loved about the TEMP 1 model is that it was one of the very few Spyderco fixed blades available in plain edge as well as their superb Spyderedged variant>> and there is just something about the handle fitting me almost perfect and the blade geometry almost flawless IMO.

What I'm wanting to know is what you all prefer and why? Do you all prefer Spyderco's fixed blades or their great Folders? I'm finding that by working a lot more with my TEMP 1 model as well as my STREETBEAT I seem to have just a bit more confidence working with fixed blades anymore. Oh don't get me wrong because I just couldn't get through a normal day without either my C-36, M390 Military model or my hallowed C-60 Ayoob, VG-10 model folder. I also heavily rely on my old vintage 440V, full SE NATIVE model which has become sort of a permanent fixture in my daily edged tool usage>> it's my pitbull, demolition blade that I'm not afraid to use on any job.

But as time goes on I'm finding myself gravitating more and more over to the use of fixed bladed Spyders than I am with the folders. I'm wondering what most of you all have to say about it? Sure a folder has a convenience aspect to it but a fixed blade has sort of a fool proof safety feature to it and I just feel more confident processing food or doing a really hard cutting job with a fixed blade Spyde knowing it isn't going to fold up on me >> Albeit I do with that they would make more Spyderedged fixed blades.
SG89

Re: Fixed Blades versus Folders?

Post by SG89 »

My advice : get all the Spydercos you can- fixed and folded. That way you will be able to tackle any situation with the right knife for the job :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have many fixed blades but only 2 Spydercos.. Swick 3 & 4.. The 4 gets more belt time than the 3.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I adore fixed blade knives but own very few of them. The Temp1 seems to have all bases covered.

Personally tho legal carry is the main problem. For that reason and a lack of outdoor activity they hold the same spot as butterfly knives and automatics...fun toys which are seldom purchased over legal ones.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I will usually take a fixed blade over a folder if I have a choice. I do like to carry a folder as an EDC knife because I can pull a folder from my pocket, open it, use it and put it away all without looking down. With a fixed blade I have to look down to find the sheath when i put it away. For this reason I actually find a folder easier for quick things throughout the day. If I am going to be doing any work for any length of time then I would certainly favor a fixed blade. I have been known to EDC a fixed blade knife and thankfully that is fully legal here in CO. I just recently picked up a Street Beat and like it a lot.

I think fixed blades leave some people underwhelmed with their simplicity. There are no moving parts and definitely no flippers and certainly no fun locks to play with. They lack the toy aspect in some ways. They are just less fun to play with. I know they are tools and not toys but we all play with them at least a little.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

I sometimes carry a small fixed blade in my pocket instead of a folder. The main reason I don't own any Spyderco fixed blades is because that would be a new dimension of my addiction, and I'm not quite ready to go there.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I only wish they release a small city edc fixed blade with a nice compact leather sheath such as Bark River City.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I love fixed blades also but find I rarely get a chance to use them so most of my collection is made up of folders. My favorite :spyder: fixed blades are the Mule teams and swicks but really want that Bradley Bowie.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
PM1

Post by PM1 »

I haven't bought any of the Spyderco bigger fixed blades, since I'm already set on larger bushcraft and hunting knives; however, I do have 2 smaller EDC type Spyderco Fixed blades that I like quite a lot.

The original Street Beat micarta is awesome. It is just small enough to EDC carry, and the ergonomics are superb. It is a classic and top quality.

I more recently got a Swick 4 and I really like that too. It is so small, thin and light that it is very easy to carry. I never installed the belt clip, since I just slide it in my pocket. It doesn't have as much cutting edge as the Street Beat or the quite the same level of ergonomics, but it's a fixed blade you can always have at hand when needed. Compared to a light, thin folder, the Swick 4 will have way more strength. I'll be in Germany soon where locking one-hand opening knives are illegal, so the Swick 4 and my PITS folder will be my go-to knives there.

I do also have an Enuff Salt, but I have never really warmed-up to that knife like the Street Beat and Swick 4. I don't like the sheath, so that means that it doesn't get carried.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

If I had to chose one or the other to rely on, it would be a fixed blade knife. KISS, form follows function and bare metal basics says that to me. Finding the right size, ergonomics, steel and carry system are the critical requirements.

Lust plays a significant role.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Carrying a concealed fixed blade is illegal where I am, but I have no blade length limit on a folder, or any other limits really. It's a strange law, but it is what it is. I'm really in love with a bunch of Spyderco's fixed blade designs, but I rarely use them due to the laws and convenience of carry. I also have a nearly complete lack of yard work, since my back patio is a 10x10 concrete slab. The closest thing to yard work I do is trim a few errant branches off of my Christmas tree each year.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

If I'm out in the woods, I usually carry a Mule of one sort or another, but in town if I carry fixed, they're quite small, and only one of the three is a Spyderco, the Swick. I was super excited about the Enuff when it was announced, but the blades are so thick that I never even considered buying one. I was so disappointed that I had to console myself with a custom. ;) I've lusted big time over the Puuko, the South Fork, and the Proficient, but I just can't justify the prices.

Gordon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like knives for more than their function, I also like them for the engineering that goes into them, especially lock and pivot designs. I can appreciate a well designed fixed blade, with a tapered tang that is balanced just right, there is a lot of skill that goes into such a simple thing like that, but overall a fixed blade is much more boring to me than a folder. Plus, 99% of my knife uses are day to day utility type uses that a folder can handle just fine.

Now, that said, if Spyderco would produce some smaller fixed blades, along the lines of a ESEE Izula, then I'd reconsider. I carry a Candiru everyday in my wallet and it's a very useful little knife. The problem with most fixed blades is they tend to be much larger, and since they don't have to fold and enclose the blade into the handle, they tend to have far more blade than a typical folder, which is great for when you need it but not always an advantage in EDC. We talked about a Dragonfly fixed blade recently, I would be all over something like that. I'd even be interested in something similar to a Kiwi in shape and ergonomics. The closest I've been to buying a Spyderco fixed blade was the Streetbeat, which is a gorgeous knife, but still a tad large for my taste.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Spyderco fixed blades are so expensive. I'm sure they're good but I don't think I'll ever buy one. Plenty of good fixed blades out there for much less than Spyderco's.

The only fixed blades I have right now are machetes.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

zhyla wrote:Spyderco fixed blades are so expensive. I'm sure they're good but I don't think I'll ever buy one. Plenty of good fixed blades out there for much less than Spyderco's.

The only fixed blades I have right now are machetes.
You use a machete in your kitchen?! Or a folder? :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Ha! It has happened, but no I made my own kitchen knives.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I strongly prefer folders to fixed blades. I do have quite a few Spyderco fixed blades, and I like them. But they are pretty much collection pieces. I really hate having to mess around with bulky sheathes. Folders have a self-contained elegance and efficiency about them that no fixed blade can match. Because I don't really hunt, fish, camp, etc., folders are far more suited to my EDC tasks.
:bug-red-white
Reject

Post by Reject »

Image What! :eek: no photos in this thread yet?

:rolleyes: Well I'm doing the rounds. :D There ya go.

How much can a Koala bear?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wow, Reject..... I think you are the king of fixed blade Spyderco's!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

I like collecting folding knives. I have many more of them than I do fixed blades. I tell my wife that I do not wear jewelry, expensive clothes, and I have no tattoos. My individuality is expressed through my edc gear and therefore folders.

Having said that, I prefer a fixed blade any where I possibly can. The only reason I can think of to really prefer a folder is for convenience, I am sure there are other reasons, but none that come to mind right now.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!