Fixed Blades versus Folders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheOutdoorNerd

Re: Fixed Blades versus Folders?

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Holy cow, it looks like you mugged Santa this year, Reject!

Still no Spyderco fixed blades for me, but I did get a Becker BK7 for my birthday though.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I stayed away from fixed blades for the longest time just because it was more normal carrying some kind of folder. It's just what I knew. Over the last year it's gotten to the point where I could care less what kind of folding knife I have. I'd honestly be ok with a small SAK or something. I usually carry a 9 to 10 inch overall length fixed blade knife as my main working tool. They're so much more versatile and reliable. And I'm not paying for all the pointless titanium or arguments about ceramic vs stainless bearings or worrying about detent strength. Basically all the "keeping up with the joneses" froo froo upgrades. I throw on my fixed blade knife and go. I use it and then go home. Sometimes I wipe it down, sometimes I don't. It's just a tool to me, an important tool, but still just a tool.

And I agree, it seems the fixed blade offerings are on the high side. I don't know how S90V fixed blade can cost the same as or more than an S90V folder. Same with any steel. Oh well, the lack of fixed blade offerings and high prices from the big production companies let's the smaller guys get into the game so I'm not complaining.

I would like to see a normal wharncliff design in something like cruwear at 62 RC with cryo offered by spyderco with a good kydex sheath for about 200 or 250 bucks. I think that'd be a good thing. If a small maker can do it for those prices, I'd think mass production methods could, too.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

There were some nice fixed blades like the Lum Tanto or the Kumo.
Personally, I stopped buying Spyderco fixed blades after the unneccesary hole in the blade was implemented in 2008.
I can understand the reason behind this, but nevertheless this made almost all fixed blades less appealing to me.

Let's praise the glorious past...

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:There were some nice fixed blades like the Lum Tanto or the Kumo.
Personally, I stopped buying Spyderco fixed blades after the unneccesary hole in the blade was implemented in 2008.
I can understand the reason behind this, but nevertheless this made almost all fixed blades less appealing to me.

Marcus I can kind of see where you're coming from being annoyed by the Spyderhole in many of the recent fixed blade models. That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the tiny notch toward the heel of the blade in my ultimate, all time favorite FB05 TEMPERANCE one fixed blade model. For the life of me I can't figure the necessity or practicality of such a feature and it is annoying as **** when touching it up on the 204 Sharpmaker :mad:

I'm sure Spyderco simply views the SpyderHole on their newer, more recent fixed blade models as an equivalent to a logo or trademark of sorts>> not saying it's right or wrong but I do understand your concerns with it. I'm so overtaken with the beauty and functionality of many of Spyderco's fixed blades that it's just not a problem for me at all at this point. The small notch in the heel of the blade on the TEMP 1 to me is just not right at all and I would love to know why it was put there :confused: .

Oh yes the "GLORIOUS PAST" as you reference it :cool: Let's face it buddy you and I and very few others here at Spyderville just simply see the genius of many of Spyderco's earlier models. It's obvious that those earlier models truly paved the way to where they are today. Many of the GOLDEN AGE Spyders truly set the bar extremely high in the commercial knife market. It's like I've said many times "They Got It Right The First Time Around". Oh yes there have been some great new designs come forth in Spyderco's main line up but when you see one of the models out of what I affectionately refer to as the "GOLDEN AGE OF SPYDERS" 1998 to 2003 go up for sale the immediate response and interest most of the time is similar to ROLLING STONES tickets going on sale or in some cases even better :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is a sharpening notch or sharpening choil. I have heard it called both. They are supposed to make sharpening easier but not on the sharpmaker and definitely not when using the corners to do serrations. With a plain edge and when using bench stones they let you easily sharpen right up to that notch. Some argue that they can grab fabric or rope when cutting. I have no issue with them but also don't find them necessary either.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I prefer sharpening notches, without them, the blade starts to look really weird as more steel is sharpened away.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Here in CA it is illegal to carry a concealed fixed blade. Open sheath carry doesn't fit my urban environment, so folders are what I wear. Fixed blades get used in the shop and kitchen, sometimes the yard. Folders seem poor for food prep in the kitchen because hard to clean.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

MarcusH wrote:There were some nice fixed blades like the Lum Tanto or the Kumo.

Curiously, the newer Spyderco kitchen knives don't have the trademark hole in the blade. I wonder why?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Bill1170 wrote: Curiously, the newer Spyderco kitchen knives don't have the trademark hole in the blade. I wonder why?
Because food gets stuck in the hole and that's not very sanitary.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Over this past year I have started gravitating towards fixed blades more. I carry one most days as well as a folder. The only Fixed blade Spydies I have that are legal to carry are a Swick 2, 3 , Serrata,and a Ronin 2. I really don't have a reason to carry a fixed blade most of the time, but I have grown picky when it comes to lock play lately. The only way to eliminate that is to go to a fixed blade.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

v8r wrote:Over this past year I have started gravitating towards fixed blades more. I carry one most days as well as a folder. The only Fixed blade Spydies I have that are legal to carry are a Swick 2, 3 , Serrata,and a Ronin 2. I really don't have a reason to carry a fixed blade most of the time, but I have grown picky when it comes to lock play lately. The only way to eliminate that is to go to a fixed blade.
Same thing here, but for different reasons. You just don't need to worry about things anywhere near as much with a fixed blade. I really believe if people can carry a fixed blade, they should. Well, for a couple of months anyway. I think a lot of people would find they prefer them if they get over the stigma of carrying an EDC fixed blade.

The stigma doesn't just exist in your own mind, though. Most guys I work with called my mule blades "pig stickers" when they saw me carrying one. I kept my opinions to myself about that! Anyway, after they got used to seeing me with one now I carry one with a 4.5 inch blade and no one thinks twice about it.

It's all about having a good sheath and carrying it with some level of respect for those who may not be used to seeing it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Bodog wrote:
Bill1170 wrote: Curiously, the newer Spyderco kitchen knives don't have the trademark hole in the blade. I wonder why?
Because food gets stuck in the hole and that's not very sanitary.
I think I remember a post from Sal where he said it was an oversight, and the hole would be added on the next production runs.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Bill1170 wrote:Here in CA it is illegal to carry a concealed fixed blade. Open sheath carry doesn't fit my urban environment, so folders are what I wear. Fixed blades get used in the shop and kitchen, sometimes the yard. Folders seem poor for food prep in the kitchen because hard to clean.

As a Californian this is about it. I love fixed blades but open carry is pretty "out there" as you literally scare people. So I carry folders.

I prefer fixed blades and have a very large fixed blade knife collection. I have many very old Busse knives. I have many Spyderco users fixed blades. A couple of very old Dave Beck WSK. Plus many other random fixed blades.

I also like folders for there design and because it is what I can carry here. It is fun to get a new folder and check out the design. If I don't like it I flip it and if I like it I tend to accumulate more.

When I am outdoors I carry both.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Bodog wrote:
v8r wrote:Over this past year I have started gravitating towards fixed blades more. I carry one most days as well as a folder. The only Fixed blade Spydies I have that are legal to carry are a Swick 2, 3 , Serrata,and a Ronin 2. I really don't have a reason to carry a fixed blade most of the time, but I have grown picky when it comes to lock play lately. The only way to eliminate that is to go to a fixed blade.
Same thing here, but for different reasons. You just don't need to worry about things anywhere near as much with a fixed blade. I really believe if people can carry a fixed blade, they should. Well, for a couple of months anyway. I think a lot of people would find they prefer them if they get over the stigma of carrying an EDC fixed blade.

The stigma doesn't just exist in your own mind, though. Most guys I work with called my mule blades "pig stickers" when they saw me carrying one. I kept my opinions to myself about that! Anyway, after they got used to seeing me with one now I carry one with a 4.5 inch blade and no one thinks twice about it.

It's all about having a good sheath and carrying it with some level of respect for those who may not be used to seeing it.
I typically carry with my shirt untucked, so most people do not know I have a fixed blade on me. If they are worried about a knife they sure wouldn't like the site of a 5" barreled 1911 I have on me as well.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Spydergirl88 wrote:My advice : get all the Spydercos you can- fixed and folded. That way you will be able to tackle any situation with the right knife for the job :)
I really like this line of reasoning - have lots of both if you can ;).

BTW you need some Mules Reject!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Archimedes wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:Here in CA it is illegal to carry a concealed fixed blade. Open sheath carry doesn't fit my urban environment, so folders are what I wear. Fixed blades get used in the shop and kitchen, sometimes the yard. Folders seem poor for food prep in the kitchen because hard to clean.

As a Californian this is about it. I love fixed blades but open carry is pretty "out there" as you literally scare people. So I carry folders.

I prefer fixed blades and have a very large fixed blade knife collection. I have many very old Busse knives. I have many Spyderco users fixed blades. A couple of very old Dave Beck WSK. Plus many other random fixed blades.

I also like folders for there design and because it is what I can carry here. It is fun to get a new folder and check out the design. If I don't like it I flip it and if I like it I tend to accumulate more.

Just out of curiosity, if it's legal to open carry fixed blades, why not just carry one? Most people aren't freaked out by one unless you're going out of your way to try to look as intimidating as possible. A knife with some really nice wood handles inside of a understated leather sheath rarely gets a second look. I guess if you're carrying it in a long dangler or with skulls and sharp saw teeth all over it then some hippy may freak out. In the end though, what's it matter if it's legal?
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Bodog wrote:
Archimedes wrote:

Just out of curiosity, if it's legal to open carry fixed blades, why not just carry one? Most people aren't freaked out by one unless you're going out of your way to try to look as intimidating as possible. A knife with some really nice wood handles inside of a understated leather sheath rarely gets a second look. I guess if you're carrying it in a long dangler or with skulls and sharp saw teeth all over it then some hippy may freak out. In the end though, what's it matter if it's legal?
Yes it is legal. But it calls unwanted attention to yourself. Be the grey man sort of thing. Plus the libertarian hippies of yester year would celebrate it. They are freedom loving. I like a real hippy. There are very few left. I have a friend who truly is a Nor Cal hippy and he is the only guy I know who carries a traditional Puuko knife on his belt open carry. It is the bourgeois progressive liberals who are the problem. Yet at this time in history they are probably staring at there I phone 6s and have no idea I am even there with a knife. Who knows? I could probably carry. I do work to blend in so I will continue to carry a concealed folder.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Just a random thought to add here: the moving company that moved me 5 years ago to my current home had a crew come into a restaurant I was in. Out of the 5 guys 3 had Bear Gryllis fixed blades carried openly. No one gave them a second look besides me...a true knife whore. I had to make the conclusion in moving furniture and all that goes with packng a house out, a fixed blade is a helluva tool vs a folder.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Bodog wrote:
Archimedes wrote:

I don't prefer calling attention to myself unduly. A belt sheath is awkward driving a car. The folder is so much more practical for my needs, even at work. My pants already have pockets and a folder is its own sheath. Also, I can deploy, use, and put the knife away, quickly, with one hand, and without looking. All a fixed blade would give me over a good folder is ruggedness I don't really need, and faster deployment which I also don't need.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

It is the bourgeois progressive liberals who are the problem.

Good correction. Absolutely the tyrannical class of America, yet they're scared of their own shadow.