Need help on a new slim EDC - no lockbacks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

Need help on a new slim EDC - no lockbacks

Post by ZMW »

I need some opinions! I am looking for a small/mid sized EDC knife. Slimmer is better. Sub $100. But, I do not like lockbacks. I am fine with liners, compression, axis/ball bearing, etc.

Any ideas? The best fit I can find is the sage 1, but I was hoping for something a little less wide/more pocket friendly. I am fine with any handle type. Just slim EDC with no lockbacks.

What do you guys recommend?
Cujobob

Re: Need help on a new slim EDC - no lockbacks

Post by Cujobob »

What sort of specs are you looking for?

The GB Air is on sale at Massdrop right now. It's slim, I believe.
A lot of knives, without the pocket clip, are pretty slim. The Sage 1 may be slimmer than most that aren't FRN lockbacks.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Your criteria may be a little specific for Spyderco's lineup. Most of their knives are backlocks and with the hole not many of them are slim. Then throwing in a $110 limit. Options may be limited. Here are a few. The Sage is a nice knife. :D Raising your budget would open up a few more options like the Positron.

des horn
air
equilibrium
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

oops
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'd grab an Air, so much goodness packed into such a small package.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Roadie?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I know I am getting picky here, but was trying to see if there is a great knife that I did not know about. I am still eyeing the Sage 1, but was curious what you guys think are some good options.

If a Delica came in any other lock option that would be an instant win for me. But, I will check out the GB Air, I did not know about that little guy. No pocket clip though, but it looks amazing!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Well, since you didn't say specifically that it had to have any lock at all, I'll recommend the UKPK. It comes in FRN currently, but with a little searching and waiting you can find them in titanium, carbon fiber, and G10.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Another popular wee-ish :spyder: is the Techno, more of a tank than a slicer but a lot of folks dig it. :cool:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
sal

Post by sal »

Perhaps the Mantra?

sal
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

The Mantra looks impressive! A little pricey for my budget, but I will take a good look at it. Thanks Sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Try Positron
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Maybe the cat or persistence? Gonna agree with others though. The spyder hole makes these knives wider in most instances. The air might be pretty close, but is above the price you set I think. My advice, get a solid spyderco (delica, chaparral, dragonfly, sage, PM2, etc), but budget enough to also get a slim knife of another brand. Urban trapper, leek, swindle, etc. My bet is that you will favor the spyderco over those as you use them. My first 20+ knives were not spyderco, but since I bought some I understand why they are so widely liked.

I didn't like back locks for a long time. I always thought of the buck 110 and didn't enjoy it. To me, it seemed like framelocks were what were used on nice knives. Then I bought my spydercos. I actually like the sage the least of the ones I bought because I have begun to favor the backlock used on the chaparral and caly 3. The way they are designed as a mid-lock makes them more ergonomic. All of my spyderco backlocks are flickable (except maybe the chaparral), and they are easy to close with one hand safely.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm assuming width as the distance from scale to scale instead of height (a good point by EDC Honeybee).

You certainly are going to be best with single-liner/scale designs. That and thinner blades. The Air is quite thin but I expect ones like the Mantra would be even more slim.

Here is a great thread. I would grab a Cricket if you don't have one. :)

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=52094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Blerv - I was think width as scale to scale, and scale to back of the blade (in closed position). Does that make sense? For example, the Manix is far wider than an endura due to the leaf shape blade

Height is not a concern.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Why no back locks? Some of my favorite knives are back locks!
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Mostly due to ease of closing the knife one handed. I know you can close a lockback one handed, but its nothing like liners, axis, etc. It is a pet peeve. Maybe I can get it over it because it does push a lot of great affordable knifes out of the mix.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Des Horn, air, memory
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Des Horn
TheOutdoorNerd