Q Identification

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bengaiser

Q Identification

Post by bengaiser »

Do any of the Q experts out there know who this version was made for and what the cutout represents? The pic isn't mine, but was part of an auction that ended recently.
Unknown C35SBK Q model.
Unknown C35SBK Q model.
The final price was almost $340 for a possibly used model with no box or clip :eek:
DutchBlades

Re: Q Identification

Post by DutchBlades »

Guess we'll have to wait for Sal or Qcrazy for more info... But the logo isn't one I've seen before.
Could be a rare little guy you've got there!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Definitely interesting.....Kinda reminds of some record label....or with squinted eyes, a sellotape dispenser :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Never ever seen that one>> Not sure what the logo, design or code represents>> I've owned a few of the Q model in my days but the one that alluded me that I always wanted was the one with the "Jolly Roger" design on it. It's even getting tough to find the "Spyder & Web" model anymore which was the last one I ever owned. Personally I always loved the original skeletonized R model much better myself.

That has got to be one of the more rare Q models for sure.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wondered about that one myself. Definitely not on Barry Carithers' list. Has to be an experiment of some kind, but whether it was done by Global for Spyderco, Global for themselves, someone else for Spyderco, or someone else aftermarket is the question.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I was the second highest bidder on that and still kick myself for not going higher. The 3-4 hundreds seems to be about the value of extremely rare Qs. I wanted to take it into Golden and find out the story, but oh well. This one went the same way as that cranberry Lum...
sal

Post by sal »

I don't remember. I'll see if we have any around.

sal
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

sal wrote:I don't remember. I'll see if we have any around.
sal
Well bengaiser, atleast you know it's rare :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi all! Since reading this thread this morning, it bugged me that I was pretty sure I had seen that logo before. So, after some sleuthing around the internet, I found the company: Gravis Footwear, a subsidiary of Burton Snowboards. Apparently, they're no longer in business in the US, but are still selling clothes and footwear in Asia. Hope that helps, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Hi all! Since reading this thread this morning, it bugged me that I was pretty sure I had seen that logo before. So, after some sleuthing around the internet, I found the company: Gravis Footwear, a subsidiary of Burton Snowboards. Apparently, they're no longer in business in the US, but are still selling clothes and footwear in Asia. Hope that helps, Radioactive :)
Radioactive, your Google-Fu is strong. I am impressed!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice! That'll make a nice addition to the ol' collection!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Wow, nice digging, thanks everyone! I wasn't the high bidder either, but I had to know more about it since in 15+ years of collecting I've never seen or heard of another one like it.