I'm going to really miss Amazon!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
can't freehand

I'm going to really miss Amazon!!!!

Post by can't freehand »

Just bought a Nilakka from Amazon itself, no third party, for $109, %65 off lmao :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p

And yes, I'm making this post to spite the Knifecenter induced MAP. Considering that I already Amazon'd S110V, the core models and snagged the S90v native for $100, this will be the last Spyderco I buy brand new for a very long time!

Post other ridiculous deals you've made! Let this be a Knifecenter tears thread!

Btw, it's now selling for $108!! Let that be $192 Knifecenter never sees!
Liquid Cobra

Re: I'm going to really miss Amazon!!!!

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm glad you got a deal on a knife you wanted. perhaps I could interest you in some light reading:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

They must be off sale now. Saying $165
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

While I do try to find better prices than KC's 36% below msrp I always feel a little funny when I pay 50% of msrp or less. At that point the seller is losing money, especially with the free shipping we have come to expect. I guess Amazon is big enough to absorb a good amount of that. It certainly doesn't support anybody in the knife industry. At least KC doesn't sell fakes, that alone is enough of a reason to buy from KC over Amazon. Glad you found the deal you wanted. :) I am not joining the KC lynch mob though. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

If you look at Amazon's earnings reports, they lose money on their retail business. They make about $500 million per quarter on their Amazon Web Services, where they have such a large lead over everyone else, it's silly.

Amazon can afford to sell items below cost (and drive all competitors out of business) because they can. If Amazon were a national company selling product below cost internationally, they would be accused of "dumping" and be sued through the WTO.
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

I just made a purchase from KW today, and CS yesterday. When I started buying Spydies I eliminated Amazon as a place to buy instantly. If I can't support a B&M store, than at least I can shop at "knife" sites that support us as well. Look at the exclusives these companies put out. Plus I have 0% worries about getting a fake Spydie. And I can return with no hassle. I guess me being in business for myself I can understand that cheapest is not always the best. I will continue to support my favorite knife sites once MAP gets introduced.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:If you look at Amazon's earnings reports, they lose money on their retail business. They make about $500 million per quarter on their Amazon Web Services, where they have such a large lead over everyone else, it's silly.

Amazon can afford to sell items below cost (and drive all competitors out of business) because they can. If Amazon were a national company selling product below cost internationally, they would be accused of "dumping" and be sued through the WTO.
It's really all about the internet and company identity, Amaon got in first and is now essential to e-commerce, same thing with Wal-mart and traditional retail. With the internet, overhead expenses are dramatically lower, it's the shifting nature of the market, not Amazons fault.

I never cease to be amazed by the naive, virgin like innocence some people on here have about commerce. Cut someone else's throat or someone else will do it for you.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am sorry that nobody wants to join your mob but you don't need to insult our intelligence just because we don't agree with you. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think I've ever bought a knife from Amazon, I prefer to buy from knife specific retailers or especially my local shop.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am sorry that nobody wants to join your mob but you don't need to insult our intelligence just because we don't agree with you. :D
Right? If we attempt to analyze Cliff Stamps' line graphs I think we can "keep up" with Amazon's Econ 101 business strategy... :rolleyes:

I won't miss Amazon's stance on the market one bit; screwing over a bunch of sporting goods stores who don't know jack about knives. I'm a knife snob who thinks long-term. I buy from places like CS, Howes, and the others whenever possible even if it means a few extra bucks. Not only are they good businesses who offer more than fair prices but their receipt of sale is worth it's weight in gold. I just sold a Sebenza on eBay with the price tag on the box and receipt from New Graham Knives. A PM2 with a receipt from Cutlery Shoppe is probably even more valuable these days to anyone remotely informed.

I've purchased a couple knives from Amazon. Usually as supply dries up on discontinued Spydies. Never felt confident one bit but never paranoid. Throw enough dice though and eventually you are going to crap out.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Shockwave wrote:I just made a purchase from KW today, and CS yesterday. When I started buying Spydies I eliminated Amazon as a place to buy instantly. If I can't support a B&M store, than at least I can shop at "knife" sites that support us as well. Look at the exclusives these companies put out. Plus I have 0% worries about getting a fake Spydie. And I can return with no hassle. I guess me being in business for myself I can understand that cheapest is not always the best. I will continue to support my favorite knife sites once MAP gets introduced.
Really well said and I agree 100%. What knives did you buy?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

can't freehand wrote:1. I never cease to be amazed by the naive, virgin like innocence some people on here have about commerce.
2. Cut someone else's throat or someone else will do it for you.
1. I'm completely aware of what a "race to the bottom" means for society. All you have to do is walk into any Walmart, look at all the cheaply-made junk from China, to see the result. Pandering to the lowest common denominator in search of short-term gain is not progress.

2. Rationalizing "taking someone out" without empathy, figuratively or literally, is a trait of both sociopathic and psychopathic behavior. I think working with someone as part of a community is infinitely more rewarding, but what do I know.
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Shockwave wrote:I just made a purchase from KW today, and CS yesterday. When I started buying Spydies I eliminated Amazon as a place to buy instantly. If I can't support a B&M store, than at least I can shop at "knife" sites that support us as well. Look at the exclusives these companies put out. Plus I have 0% worries about getting a fake Spydie. And I can return with no hassle. I guess me being in business for myself I can understand that cheapest is not always the best. I will continue to support my favorite knife sites once MAP gets introduced.
Thank you!

I bought a few X-mas gifts for friends and family. I got 2 Santoku's, 1 for my Mom and 1 for my Sister.
I got 2 SE utility kitchen knifes, 6.5" , 1 for my Mom and 1 for me :)

I got a Para-2,black G-10, satin blade for my best friend. I owe him a bunch so the price doesn't matter. I'm trying to get him off gas station knives and I figured go big or go home with para-2.

Oh yea I have a GB 2 on pre order and a Pacific Salt sitting with it in limbo at KW that I bought with my X-mas bonus.

Spreading the Spydie love this Christmas :) :spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Shockwave wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thank you!

I bought a few X-mas gifts for friends and family. I got 2 Santoku's, 1 for my Mom and 1 for my Sister.
I got 2 SE utility kitchen knifes, 6.5" , 1 for my Mom and 1 for me :)

I got a Para-2,black G-10, satin blade for my best friend. I owe him a bunch so the price doesn't matter. I'm trying to get him off gas station knives and I figured go big or go home with para-2.

Oh yea I have a GB 2 on pre order and a Pacific Salt sitting with it in limbo at KW that I bought with my X-mas bonus.

Spreading the Spydie love this Christmas :) :spyder:
So you're articulate, thoughtful and generous! Welcome to the forum!

@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm glad you got a deal on a knife you wanted. perhaps I could interest you in some light reading:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

Liquid Cobra wrote: So you're articulate, thoughtful and generous! Welcome to the forum!
Thanks again :) That's another reason I was attracted to Spyderco and this forum. Most other forums I shy away from posting on. But this place is very mature, and friendly. A great extension of an already amazing company. I'm glad to be a part of Spyderco as a user moving into 2016!

BTW you have the coolest screen name. I've caught myself saying it out loud in a cobra commander voice when I've seen it on the screen. lol
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I thought about this more and there's one real reason nobody should miss Amazon..

When's the last time you saw an Amazon knife exclusive? Ever see Amazon listen to customers and commission a knife? Didn't think so. This is more than wanting those awesome dealer exclusives, it says a lot about Amazon's relationship and involvement with the hobby.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

sorry double post computer illiterate
Last edited by Shockwave on Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

double post :)
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

Evil D wrote:I thought about this more and there's one real reason nobody should miss Amazon..

When's the last time you saw an Amazon knife exclusive? Ever see Amazon listen to customers and commission a knife? Didn't think so. This is more than wanting those awesome dealer exclusives, it says a lot about Amazon's relationship and involvement with the hobby.
Yes, I agree. We are all somewhat serious about knives and Spyderco to begin with if we are posting here. That's why I decided to support the guys that do the exclusives, and the sites that are involved in the "community"