I'm going to really miss Amazon!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Re: I'm going to really miss Amazon!!!!

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

can't freehand wrote:Just bought a Nilakka from Amazon itself, no third party, for $109, %65 off lmao :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p

And yes, I'm making this post to spite the Knifecenter induced MAP. Considering that I already Amazon'd S110V, the core models and snagged the S90v native for $100, this will be the last Spyderco I buy brand new for a very long time!

Post other ridiculous deals you've made! Let this be a Knifecenter tears thread!

Btw, it's now selling for $108!! Let that be $192 Knifecenter never sees!
Just because the website says you are buying it directly from Amazon doesn't mean you really are... they ship out stock from third parties from their warehouses and everything gets mixed up. Also, since they deal with so many SKUs they are not experts in anything they sell, so if someone buys a real one and returns a fake knife the supply line gets contaminated.

I'm glad you are happy you got a great deal, but just to have peace of mind, I only buy from reputable dealers. Also, for me it is worth an extra couple of dollars to support people who support the hobbies we enjoy.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I don't get this loyalty to retailers. They do a simple job and make a good cut of money for that job. Not hating on their profession whatsoever, it's just that I don't believe they deserve to be overpaid for what they do. Good knives sell themselves, or good products, sell themselves with enough exposure. They don't require large marketing to do their job. If this was an economy without the internet, I would likely feel differently, but we do not. I prefer to shop at two different popular places because I'm treated well, but price is a huge factor. If the Spyderco knife has issues, Spyderco itself will work to take care of me. There's not a lot of service you actually require from an e-retailer. In a perfect world, I would be buying these knives straight from Spyderco w/o the added overhead (but with some to cover their employees/service obviously).
PM1

Post by PM1 »

Cujobob wrote:I don't get this loyalty to retailers. They do a simple job and make a good cut of money for that job.
I buy from a B&M because I can hand select the expensive Spyderco knives that I'm buying. All aspects of the knife are 100% before I pay. To me, that is very valuable.

However, if Amazon is dumping knives below my B&M's cost (in their quest for world domination or whatever their business strategy can be summarized to be) then eventually my B&M will cease to exist. In other words, my retailer and many others are NOT making "a good cut of money" for the job their are doing, because they are trying to compete against a mega-company that could care less if they make ZERO money on a sale.

Call me crazy, but I like being able to go out in my home town and buy products from local retailers. I still make online purchases as well, but I don't want a situation where "Main St." of "Everytown" has turned into some weird post-apocalyptic looking scene where store after store lies vacant and abandoned because Amazon was the sole victor of the retail war.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I will pay a few bucks more to buy a knife from Amazon. I buy almost everything from them, they have good prices, great customer service, and ship stuff fast.

I haven't been following the MAP thing much. I guess no more steep discounts in the future. Too bad.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

PM1 wrote:
Cujobob wrote:I don't get this loyalty to retailers. They do a simple job and make a good cut of money for that job.
I buy from a B&M because I can hand select the expensive Spyderco knives that I'm buying. All aspects of the knife are 100% before I pay. To me, that is very valuable.

However, if Amazon is dumping knives below my B&M's cost (in their quest for world domination or whatever their business strategy can be summarized to be) then eventually my B&M will cease to exist. In other words, my retailer and many others are NOT making "a good cut of money" for the job their are doing, because they are trying to compete against a mega-company that could care less if they make ZERO money on a sale.

Call me crazy, but I like being able to go out in my home town and buy products from local retailers. I still make online purchases as well, but I don't want a situation where "Main St." of "Everytown" has turned into some weird post-apocalyptic looking scene where store after store lies vacant and abandoned because Amazon was the sole victor of the retail war.
Businesses need to do what is best for them, not every area is going to be able to have a knife shop because the demand needs to be there. If companies aren't offering products they can make a sustainable income off of, they can choose other companies with higher profit margins. That is their choice. It is in Spyderco's best interest to make a quality offering that is a good value, that's how they will stay successful. They can market their products without needing retailers to do so for them. If Amazon best serves Spyderco's business, it allows them to expand and be successful. Who would you rather see profit in the long run? Retailers or the company designing and building the knives? Retailers are dying off because they didn't/don't offer value. Enough people have to want to pay the higher price for it to be a reality.
QUICKSILVER

Post by QUICKSILVER »

Will miss amazon's prices too. Choice is always good. Bought an Air and a Caly 3.5 at about 50% off before the floor is imposed. Probably won't buy the Hap40 series. Really enjoy the Super Blue series. Not a price thing. They won't be available below MAP anyway. Just have too much money in Spydercos already. Almost two whole sets of mules and about two dozen others. MAP got me thinking and I decided it is time to move on.

Cheers,

Bill Maier
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Lotta knickers in a knot over pricing. I don't get it. Fancy knives are a luxury item. Luxury items often sell for more from places with good service and manufacturers of luxury items often try to control discounting to defend their image. Seriously, the only reason I carry a nice knife is because I think it's cool. A SAK is all I really need and more practical to boot. The Buck Stockman I got in 1974 is still going strong ... if I don't buy another knife for the rest of my life I will have far too many ... luxury, pure and simple. So get over it and pay up. ;)

Gordon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cujobob wrote:I don't get this loyalty to retailers. They do a simple job and make a good cut of money for that job. Not hating on their profession whatsoever, it's just that I don't believe they deserve to be overpaid for what they do. Good knives sell themselves, or good products, sell themselves with enough exposure. They don't require large marketing to do their job. If this was an economy without the internet, I would likely feel differently, but we do not. I prefer to shop at two different popular places because I'm treated well, but price is a huge factor. If the Spyderco knife has issues, Spyderco itself will work to take care of me. There's not a lot of service you actually require from an e-retailer. In a perfect world, I would be buying these knives straight from Spyderco w/o the added overhead (but with some to cover their employees/service obviously).
It's no different than any loyalty to any seller of any product, it applies the same to everything from a car dealership to your family doctor. You feel comfortable doing business with them and that's all it takes.

I also think the bigger issue here, to me at least, is supporting small businesses. When Amazon sell below cost, how can anyone compete with that? People may like those prices but don't expect that product to be available forever if you expect to get it so cheap. The next thing you know a company is shipping all their jobs overseas and everything is made in China. Then those same people have the nerve to preach about made in the USA, when they do everything they can to save a buck and cut the throats of American small business owners.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

I just bought a Bradley Air on Amazon for $109 (it's showing $134 now). I would not have bought it if it were not such a great deal so who are the winners and losers in that scenario?

And I know what you mean about shipping jobs to overseas.. I mean before you know it a company will start making a bunch of stuff in Taiwan and.. umm.. wait. Anyway, the free market is constantly evolving and is a complex beast. Consumers are free to overlay politics, religion, ethics, or morality on their participation. Just don't expect much consensus or for non-monetary positions to ultimately matter much in the grand scheme of things.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote: it is worth an extra couple of dollars to support people who support the hobbies we enjoy.
See, the thing is, those people ultimately don't "support" anything except you paying them money for a knife, just like anyone else, they're not special because they sell knives. Knifecenter thought they could keep the traditional retail fraud and just plug in the internet, and so they were out-done by others who better understood the cost benefits afforded by the internet. And there's no "jobs" being lost here: you have a couple of sales associates making how much, larger operating costs and then a small clique at the top. It's a very peculiar, tenuous service industry within the service industry.

and what about all the third parties that rely on Amazon for help with their small businesses? They have small businesses too, smaller than Knifecenter, so presumably, since "small business" is so sacred, smaller would mean even more special, right? What about Knifeworks.com and cutleryshoppe.com?

and the people operating in politically cost prohibitive states: that is a problem to be solved politically. That issue should be enough to cause people to wake up to the wider fraud affecting our lives. But no, they ironically turn around and complain about how much they "care" to Spyderco, a business that has outsourced manufacturing to China and Taiwan purely because of cost, unlike Japan where we get products that are otherwise unique to that country.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

Evil D wrote:The next thing you know a company is shipping all their jobs overseas and everything is made in China. Then those same people have the nerve to preach about made in the USA, when they do everything they can to save a buck and cut the throats of American small business owners.
You mean like Spyderco, which has outsourced manufacturing to China and Taiwan, away from the US, purely because of cost?

and "small businesses" are being affected negatively by the MAP. They are able to match Amazon because they run their business the same way: minuscule operating costs, I think cutleryshoppe is run by like two people and exists solely on the internet, with a bare bones, purely functional webpage and no hyped-up, marketing BS like Knifecenter? And Amazon is not selling these knives: its third parties, those "small businesses" you so love, that depend heavily on the security afforded by Amazon so they can stay running. What about them?
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am sorry that nobody wants to join your mob but you don't need to insult our intelligence just because we don't agree with you. :D
Why would I care if an imbecile like you agreed with me? Actually, that you don't is a very good sign indeed!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

National Knives has the Manix 2 LW s110v at a better price than Amazon. :)
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:
can't freehand wrote:1. I never cease to be amazed by the naive, virgin like innocence some people on here have about commerce.
2. Cut someone else's throat or someone else will do it for you.
1. I'm completely aware of what a "race to the bottom" means for society. All you have to do is walk into any Walmart, look at all the cheaply-made junk from China, to see the result. Pandering to the lowest common denominator in search of short-term gain is not progress.

2. Rationalizing "taking someone out" without empathy, figuratively or literally, is a trait of both sociopathic and psychopathic behavior. I think working with someone as part of a community is infinitely more rewarding, but what do I know.

eh, the "race to the bottom" is all that's left at this point in history. Look no further than Spyderco. Why do they have factories in China and Taiwan? Look at the evolving nature of their catalog: less utility, more pocket jewelry (from Taiwan). And Walmart is not an indication of only Walmart: it is an example of the world. There isn't a single aspect of life now that is unaffected by the bottom-line. Pretending like it isn't, and that the knife industry for example is a "community" of people who "care", is foolish.

How many people on here support increasing income taxes so we can provide more welfare to the needy? Probably none, knives and guns are of course the province of "conservative" individuals, yet that in principle is exactly what's going on. In the face of oblivious double-standards, invoking "rationality" is just another layer of marketing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

can't freehand wrote:
Evil D wrote:The next thing you know a company is shipping all their jobs overseas and everything is made in China. Then those same people have the nerve to preach about made in the USA, when they do everything they can to save a buck and cut the throats of American small business owners.
You mean like Spyderco, which has outsourced manufacturing to China and Taiwan, away from the US, purely because of cost?

and "small businesses" are being affected negatively by the MAP. They are able to match Amazon because they run their business the same way: minuscule operating costs, I think cutleryshoppe is run by like two people and exists solely on the internet, with a bare bones, purely functional webpage and no hyped-up, marketing BS like Knifecenter? And Amazon is not selling these knives: its third parties, those "small businesses" you so love, that depend heavily on the security afforded by Amazon so they can stay running. What about them?
You should check your facts man. I'm not getting into a mud slinging contest with you, because you clearly know what you want to know, not what is fact.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Who says I can't still be friends with both Amazon and Spyderco? I have no plans to abandon either, and a real friend wouldn't pressure me to choose ;)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I think we can all have a discussion without insults...take out your frustrations by pushcutting phonebook paper :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Spydergirl88 wrote:I think we can all have a discussion without insults...take out your frustrations by pushcutting phonebook paper :p
Preach it sister girl.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

can't freehand wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I am sorry that nobody wants to join your mob but you don't need to insult our intelligence just because we don't agree with you. :D
Why would I care if an imbecile like you agreed with me? Actually, that you don't is a very good sign indeed!
At least I can freehand. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Seems like you go to a bad place a lot freehand, why do you have to be so negative all the time, the only reason I even see your responses to threads is because you get quoted....if you know what I mean. :rolleyes: :spyder:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."