Lost My Chinook: Please Share Your Loss Stories

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Lost My Chinook: Please Share Your Loss Stories

Post by Cheddarnut »

Its unbearable. Still in the honeymoon stage, and it disappeared out of my pocket today. Hoping u guys can put things in perspective, but ive never felt more defeated.
JAfromMN

Re: Lost My Chinook: Please Share Your Loss Stories

Post by JAfromMN »

I had my dyad,centofante 2 and a ss endura stolen back in the day.

I feel your pain.

You lost a nice one.
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Sorry for your loss. Never lost a Spydie, but I feel your pain.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sorry for your loss, but keep your chin up. Your knife may turn up when you're least expecting it. I've lost knives over the years, just never a Spyderco. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Cheddarnut, I am sure you tried this already but let's do this: Think back to where the last known place where you had it was, the Chinook, and then go from there. That helps me sometimes when I am looking for a lost item. Were you indoors or outdoors? And could it have fallen behind or under something? Just trying to help.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I lost my Southard for a couple of weeks and then found it in my couch. Maybe it will turn up. I have lost a few SAKs and slipjoints over the years which is why the pocket clip rocks. Once I almost lost my Military at work. I got off a forklift and the seat belt stole my knife. I noticed a little while later and when I went back retracing my steps it was clipped right there to the seat belt. Do you have any idea where you lost it?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
millwright

Post by millwright »

My first spydie was a foliage green g10 endura. I hadn't had it 6 months or so when I tossed it to a friend who was at the front of my boat. He used it and instead of just tossing it back he threw it back to me like I was gonna go long for a touchdown. It went over the side right to the bottom of the Mississippi River.
I didn't try to replace it for a year or two and the foliage green g10 version had been discontinued. So needless to say I've never really got over it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Luckily I haven't lost any Spyderco knives yet but it was losing a knife that got me back into Spyderco knives so it was a blessing and a curse.

My first Spyderco was a SE Native, and I carried that knife until it got dull and I had no way of sharpening it so I stopped carrying it (we're talking 10 years ago here before I knew anything about sharpening).

I went a few years after that carrying a Gerber EAB because I was so ignorant to sharpening and this was a lazy way out of having to learn. But, on a whim one day in a sporting goods store I bought a Buck Rush. I liked the assisted opening and I liked how they did the safety lock on that knife, and that knife was the first one I started learning to sharpen on after buying a Smiths sharpening kit (cringe) which is a similar tool as a Lansky but not near as nice.

Anyway I lost that knife at work and never saw it again. I had really gotten into sharpening at that point so I had to find a replacement. I happened to be at flea market one day and saw some Spydercos and was reminded of how much I liked that Native, so I bought a standard black Delica.

That knife also brought me to this forum. My first thread here was asking if it was a fake or not, because my only experience with Spyderco had been the Native, which proudly listed Golden Colorado on the tang, so when I saw Japan on the Delica and since I was at the dirt mall anyway I thought it was a knock off. I got so much feedback and welcoming to the forum in that thread, and with Sal himself welcoming me here, I decided I might hang around for a bit. Lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

I might have lost my Blanchard Lone Wolf Pro-Venator. I'm still hoping that it turns up but I've looked all over the house and truck with no luck. I only had it out for pictures and never carry it. It was one of my very first Spydercos and it was a gift from my wife. I am lucky enough to have a second one, but I still feel sick every time I think about it. Thanks for bringing it up, BTW. :D
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I haven't lost a Spyderco knife *yet* but my worst cutlery "loss" was a vintage Schrade hunter auto, that my room mate's scumbag friend stole out of my apartment... not only are they worth several hundred bucks these days, but it had belonged to a close friend who passed away, I'll always remember the knife as a great piece of cutlery, but more so as a talisman of our friendship.

I'm still pi$$ed off about the situation 30 years later :(
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
timlara

Post by timlara »

Oh man that sucks, Cheddarnut!

I know I've told this story before on here, but the only Spydie I've lost was my Gray Almite R2. I went to a concert with my then-girlfriend and forgot that I was carrying it until I saw that security was searching people for "weapons" at the door. We had walked quite a way from the car, so I didn't want to take the time to go all the way back before the show, so I got the bright idea to stash the R2 behind a vending machine, then come back for it later. Well...apparently somebody must have seen me do it, because the knife was of course gone when I came back after the show.

My then-girlfriend felt really bad about it -- especially when she found out it was a discontinued and somewhat hard-to-find model -- so she secretly set out on a quest to find one, succeeded, and surprised me with it as a gift later!

Coming up this next July, my then-girlfriend will have been my now-wife for 10 years! :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've lost a few in my life, seems to me it happens most often around vehicles for some reason, getting in/out. Check there for sure. I've also had the clip snap on things like curtains, blankets and such.

The last high $ item I lost was my Fellhoelter Ti bolt pen. Picked up a box at work and the clip caught perfectly in the corrugated cardboard lid, lifted it right out of my shirt pocket without me noticing, carried the box out to my truck and put it in the back seat. Noticed it missing a little while later while at my desk, searched the office for over an hour kinda freaked (I love this pen :o ), I actually ordered another before leaving the office for the day, just couldn't imagine being without it. Now for the funny part, on the way home I looked in my rear-view mirror and there it was sticking up from the box :eek: well now I have a nice new back-up.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Interested in Spyderco knives, so I bought a brown Delica 4. Then I went for the Dragonfly 2, black. Wow! Took off the clip because I like the ergonomics and feel of the FRN. One day it wasn't in my pocket. Still hasn't shown up. Then I got an orange DF2. Walked down to town and back. Knife gone! Retraced steps. Talked to everyone I met on my previous jaunt. Nada. Bought another DF2, black. The clip stays on.
Now, the DF2 isn't your higher priced Spyderco with the more exotic steels and handles, but I love the Dragonfly 2. It is easily as effective and useful as many knives twice its size, it is light, thin, cuts like a laser and in my price range.

Maybe I should just get another one for the just-in-case scenario.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I feel your pain...my Meadowlark was stolen in the gym's looker room,and i was pissed off although it was a 20$ knife.
Try to retrace your steps,not mentaly,but actually go back step to step from where you think you loosed it to where you started with your knife on you,looking even in the most unlikely places.
I found this way my Uzi tactical pen in my drive way where it fell from my pocket.
Good luck.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

The worst I've had happen was a Pink Jester getting lost in the mail, ugh.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I once lost a Spyderco knife...sometimes I freak out because I think that I have lost one...only to find it clipped to my pants after it has gone through the laundry..at least it got cleaned.....reminds me of a story...when I was first married some 35+ years ago I went to home depot and bought some items that needed to be attached to the roof of my car...the guy from home depot was helping me but did not have a knife to cut the cords attached to my items...I pulled out an original 1977 AG Russel "Sting"..a double edged dagger with a white micarta handle that my wife bought for me as an engagement present and cut all the cording and proceeded to leave the knife on the roof of my car as I drove off from the loading dock. Lucky for me when I returned home I had no knife on my person to cut the items off of the roof of my car roof ....then realizing that I left the knife on top of the car when leaving the loading dock..omg..had to be about 7 hours later....my heart sunk as I realized I might never see that knife again, which had real sentimental value, so I feel your pain.....I drove back to home depot, brought a flashlight cause it was the middle of the night and really dark and low and behold there is was sitting on the
pavement with only a minor scratch.....I still have that knife to this day...thank god. Once I mentioned on a thread that I had lost an H1 Ladybug, don't know what happened to it or even how I lost it as I always have a ladybug in the watch pocket of my jeans.....within 72 hours I went to the mail box much to my amazement and surprise I found that an anonymous forum member here just sent me a new one....That's the kind of people who are forum members here and though I never found out who sent it....I was very grateful....sorry for your lost...wish I had an extra Chinook in my stable of knives to send you...it would have been nice to "pay it forward" for sure.....Doc:)
Reject

Post by Reject »

I lost my Caly 3 CF

As soon as I got the Caly 3 it was love, loved everything about it. It had to become my EDC because I couldn’t leave it alone. And some how it felt like it wanted to come along with me.
When I clipped it into pocket it felt so natural, so right you wouldn’t know it was there.
And there lies the problem, if you don’t know it there, you don’t know when it’s goes missing.

It was a cold winter’s day, which is very appropriate.
We don’t get bad winters here, it doesn’t snow. Some times it feels like it should, but the brass monkeys are fairly safe here.

I got home from work and went to take the Caly out to open a package, it wasn’t there. :eek: AAARRHH! Got the heart going again and started to run over in my mind of where it could be. I had traveled over 300 kilometers that day, (for you Yanks that’s like miles but shorter) had worked on the side of country roads, had climbed over barbed wire fences about ten times and some of the grass I walked through had been fairly long.

Then a vain thought or hope occurred to me that maybe I didn’t take to work today.
So the home got ripped apart, but no it wasn’t there. Then the cabin of work vehicle was emptied, but no again.

It was already dark so it was to late now but it had to be done. I was going to have go back to the locations I had worked and search for it. I didn’t hold out much hope but I couldn’t leave it out there without at least trying. It was going to be hard cover with my work; they will want me to work in other areas. If told them I wanted go back to search for knife, they would say it only a knife leave it, **** what do they know.

Over the years I have learnt a few tricks about findings things that have gone missing.
1. Stop looking.
2. Buy a new one
3. Ask a woman to look for it.
4. When you have looked in all the logical places; start looking in the illogical and ridicules places for it.

So with trick number 4 in mind I thought of the tool bag. I never put it in there, there is no reason I would put it in there, it’s illogical and ridicules place for it to be. Yep! That’s the next place to look.

I open the back of the work vehicle and there hanging on the side of the tool bag with body of it to outside, just hanging by clip. Imagine if you will, a kitten, wet, cold, bedraggled, shivering, hanging for dear life by its front claws. That was the Caly.

Amidst the feelings of relief; some else hit me. (Now I wasn’t drinking or on drugs) It was surge of emotion that seemed to be going from the Caly, one of disappointment, betrayal, abandonment, loss of faith, a whimper. Image How could you desert me, how could leave me like this.

So I took it inside, cleaned and dried it with soft cloth, oiled it with my finest oil, used my Spyderco sharp maker to touch up the blade and rested it in nice warm place.

Image I don’t think it was ready to go back in my pocket yet.

Somehow when carrying the tool bag at my side it had hooked the clip of the Caly and dragged it out of the pocket. It easily could have fallen to ground, it should have, but it didn’t. It hung on to the bag, how and for how long I don’t know, but I’m glad that it did.
How much can a Koala bear?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Sorry to hear all these loss stories. Makes me sad....I do have issues where I lose a knife for a day or two- normally when swapping coats or trousers and I forget which pocket it was clipped to.

I did lose my Squeak twice in the space of 6 months-
First time it must've got caught on the seatbelt of the car then ended up in the footwell for about a week (when I realized I hadn't seen it for a while and started looking for it- after checking about 450 pockets combined on all my clothes).

Second time was during the house move after carrying it as a secondary alongside my D'alarra for 'box'n'parcel' duties.
I remember putting it down 'somewhere' in the house after opening a wrapped piece of china.
Then my brain has one of those 'SCENE MISSING' cards like in a silent movie and could I remember where it'd gone?
After about a 2 weeks of searching, I gave up and bought a new one......And then pulled the last box from under the spare bed to find my Squeak at the bottom of one of them.
I'm convinced the cat managed to bat into the box.

I also lost a Hattori fighter for 6 months- it turned up in the otherwise empty bathroom cabinet in the new house, for reasons I'll never understand, but are probably related to alcohol intake. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

All mine seem to leave when I am on my bike.

This year I lost both of my USN Hawk bill Ladybugs. Before that it has been about 10 years since I lost a Spyderco. My first Spyderco, a 90's vintage stainless Harpy, fell out of my back pocket while mountain biking after holding on to it for about 6 years. On my current companion, I have about 8k miles on a foliage green SE Delica but use a lanyard clipped to my belt now.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Mine wasn't a spyderco, but I lost the first knife I ever made. It was a strange little beast intended to fit sheath and all into the coin pocket on my jeans. Made it with no belly, but a sharp point/modified wharncliff/reverse tanto. I was so so pleased with it. I even designed it with a hidden lanyard hole. Then one day I went to the grocery store. I know I had it in the car with me because I trimmed a string from my shirt. Turned out the grocery store was closed. My only guess is that I must have set it in my lap and it fell out onto the parking lot when I got out of the car. But when I returned less than an hour later I couldn't find it. Felt sick to my stomach all night since I was so attached. RIP little guy. Heres to hoping some responsible 13 year old found it and enjoys it now. I know I always loved finding stuff like this as a kid. Here are some pics in its memory.