2015: Year of the Lightweight Native 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

2015: Year of the Lightweight Native 5

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi folks,

As the year is swiftly approaching its end, I wanted to post a few pics I took today of my lightweight Native 5 collection. AFAIK, these 8 knives are all the versions of this knife that Spyderco has released since late last year (in the last 14-15 months). With all these models released recently, it's easy to say that 2015 was certainly the year of the lightweight Native 5!

Some of you may remember a thread I put up a while back where I disassembled a serrated version to swap its blade into a G10 frame. Some cool shots of the innards and engineering of the lightweight and the G10/SS liner versions can be found here:

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=67925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After chasing down the S110V and PS S35VN versions this morning from my PO, I was able to get the entire family together. They were getting ready to send them back to NGK since the package was "undeliverable", but the address looked pretty clear to me and I was happy to see the package hadn't been put back on a truck headed out of town. The F&F on these two new ones are just as great as every other version I have. It's really an amazing knife, and if you're interested to give one a try, the 2015 Forum knife is still available!! Onto the pics!

From L to R, we have models C41PSBN5 (note these tan Natives are now "brown" per their catalog code; older ones were C41TN variants), C41MR5, C41PPN5, C41PDBL5, C41PBK5, C41PSBK5, C41SBK5, and C41PSBBK5.

To be continued... :)
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: 2015: Year of the Lightweight Native 5

Here's a few more pretty shots of the group. Please feel free to use this thread to share your own pics of any of these beauties and share your experiences with this great updated model of one of Spyderco's mainstay knives. Thanks Sal for giving us such a variety of great EDC users and I hope everyone likes the pics!

Cheers, Radioactive :)

Those edges!! :eek:
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very, very impressive collection, Sir. We'll done! I love the tan Native too. Too bad they aren't for standard sale. Anyway, are you a Spyderco CC member? I noticed you have number 087V.

Congrats!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

SpyderNut wrote:Very, very impressive collection, Sir. We'll done! I love the tan Native too. Too bad they aren't for standard sale. Anyway, are you a Spyderco CC member? I noticed you have number 087V.

Congrats!
Thanks! No, I'm not a CC member. I prefer the CC #'d blades (for my own crazy reasons), and I was constantly requesting the 087 version of knives NGK was selling. They just asked me one day (semi-recently) to let them know which ones I don't want to buy ;) and they very nicely let me have first dibs on the ones I do want to purchase.

As for all these Natives, I wanted to have them all I guess to keep the collection complete, I just didn't figure Sal would come out with so many varieties! Cheers, Radioactive :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

This is why we collect, nothing looks better than complete sets, nicely done sir. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is a great idea! :D And it is really cool how NGK worked that out for you.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Wow, nice, and beautiful photos. You sir are a genius.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Beautiful! The native 5 is so great
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very nice. I wish us civilians could get tan too (minus the serrations). It doesn't just go with desert.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

The more I handle the N5 LW the more I see that it is, as Sal described it, a very refined design. And that is what you see and feel on the outside. A view inside, as in the link above, reveals many details that show that the design is a product of a lot of thought and experience. Study the pictures and ask why each little feature is there. As an example, see how the opposing scale has features that enclose and reinforce where the spring is inserted into the handle when the two halves are put together. Kudos to Sal and the whole crew for this fine engineered product. On top of that every sample I have seen has been well executed with a very good blade grind.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

I agree "Year of the :spyder: lightweight Native 5 !"

I did buy 2 this year ! :D

Native is on my top 3 ... :cool:
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
gone2thedogs

Post by gone2thedogs »

I bought a native 5, has not been carried yet, just fondled and put in and out of pocket a few times, whittled on a fresh 1/4 cypress branch dozen or so cuts to get feel then put up, a week later went to edc it for the day and noticed the handle screw near lanyard hole fell out, can I request a screw for purchase or do I need to send her in to the shop? Thanks you
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I really like that very first photo! Awesome shot.

Really shows good depth on the texture of FRN and makes it looks desirable, IMO. Which can be difficult to do in photos. :spyder:
Now I just want to grab onto one of my FRN knives! :D

I feel a bit ashamed to say I don't own an N5 LW. Your collection there is incredible, and now has me considering one! :)
Going back to Caly.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

So what are the chances that we'll see a Native 5 Lightweight Black FRN handle with a Black DLC Straight Edge (no serrations) blade?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I agree that Spyderco within a year produces quite a variety colors, edges and steels of N5 LW. I hope to see more steels, not necessary production. Sprints, limited runs or dealer exclusives will be fine. I* am not a fan of carbon steels, but will not be able to resist N5 with CPM M4.

SpyderNut wrote:And it is really cool how NGK worked that out for you.
From my own experience NGK is a bunch of very good people. Very nice and friendly.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RadioactiveSpyder

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Please feel free to share more of your thoughts on this model and your own pics in this thread, that's what it's for! :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:I agree that Spyderco within a year produces quite a variety colors, edges and steels of N5 LW. I hope to see more steels, not necessary production. Sprints, limited runs or dealer exclusives will be fine. I* am not a fan of carbon steels, but will not be able to resist N5 with CPM M4.

From my own experience NGK is a bunch of very good people. Very nice and friendly.
You're absolutely right about that, Roman. It's been a while since I've purchased through New Graham, but every time I've used them in the past has been a very positive experience. :) Maybe this is a good excuse to try them out again? :D

bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:
bh49 wrote:I agree that Spyderco within a year produces quite a variety colors, edges and steels of N5 LW. I hope to see more steels, not necessary production. Sprints, limited runs or dealer exclusives will be fine. I* am not a fan of carbon steels, but will not be able to resist N5 with CPM M4.

You're absolutely right about that, Roman. It's been a while since I've purchased through New Graham, but every time I've used them in the past has been a very positive experience. :) Maybe this is a good excuse to try them out again? :D
I am already looking at this dark blue Native on their web site :o
Just wondering if I will blame Paul in my spending in conversation with my wife, will it work to my benefits?????????? :) :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Quick Draw

Post by Quick Draw »

Your collection is awesome! I just ordered a Forum N5 yesterday. If it's as great as it looks, they'll be a dark blue S110V in the near future for me.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

I am already looking at this dark blue Native on their web site :o
Just wondering if I will blame Paul in my spending in conversation with my wife, will it work to my benefits?????????? :) :D
I wouldn't think so, but it's sure as heck worth a try. ;) I would simply tell your wife that as the Official Spokesman for the Spyderco Native, it is only fair and appropriate for you to buy the 110V model too. :D