Disco'd models on your to find list

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Disco'd models on your to find list

Post by Larry_Mott »

I got a BNIB Lum Chinese folder, black nishijin weave scales, so now that one's off the list :)
Always looking for blue G10 Ambitious (only blue value line folder missing), Breeden Rescue, Citadel and Spyderfly
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Larry_Mott wrote:I got a BNIB Lum Chinese folder, black nishijin weave scales, so now that one's off the list :)
Always looking for blue G10 Ambitious (only blue value line folder missing), Breeden Rescue, Citadel and Spyderfly
I've really enjoyed trying to figure out what Jason Breeden intended when he designed the Captain model of which I've enjoyed as an occasional user model. The Breeden RESCUE is one model I've intended to check out for some time now. It really looks like a well designed RESCUE type blade. I always loved the grip/purchase of the handle on the CAPTAIN model and I am anxious to try out the Breeden RESCUE as well. I'm hoping that we will see more of Jason Breeden's designs in Spyderco's pipeline.

Spyderco has really done well with some of the more obscure knife designs and many of them probably wouldn't be touched most other commercial knife companies.

The Spyderfly I've always thought at some point would be a super collector piece because of it's lackluster sales while it was in the main line up. You don't hear much fanfare anymore about the butterfly knives that Spyderco did a few years back. The two I owned seemed a little heavy for me but I never was much of a fan of butterfly knives to begin with. However I've always wondered about the one Laci Szabo did with Spyderco a while back?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Mainly just bumping this thread because it's one of my favorites and to see if anybody's had success in their searches or added new items to their want-list. I've put a Dodo user back on my list, since I realized how light they are, but they're priced totally out of sight for me now.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hmm... I can honestly say that I've found every discontinued knife I've ever wanted. Now I focus on Spyderco's new models. I sold off much of my collection at the beginning of the year and that included many discontinued models. Now don't get me wrong, if I ever came across a good deal I would certainly jump on it.

Out of everything I sold the only one I really truly missed was the orange g10 UKPK. So when a collector club number appeared on eBay a few weeks ago I had to pull the trigger. Ok I also miss having a Lum tanto, but don't tell my wife haha.

I think I'll go back to the beginning of this thread and see if I've commented on my past hunts. Neat thread.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I've attained zero of the knives I mentioned in my first post here about 5 months ago, lol.... not really actively disco hunting though, and struggling to save for upcoming models I'd rather have.

Still very happy with what I currently have!
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Thanks for the bump Doug, this is also one of my favorite topics. I have managed to pick up a couple I've been searching for:

JD Smith sprint:

T-Mag:

Two that I'm still seriously searching for at a decent price are the Lum Tanto folder sprint and the Persian with red handle. I will eventually have both but am focusing on new releases (sprints/exclusives) right now.

edit: Add a Tuff to the list, really kicking myself for not grabbing one when they were plentiful, They're getting stupid expensive on the secondary now.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Sun May 15, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Chinook1
Renegade
Superhawk
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SpeedHoles wrote:I've attained zero of the knives I mentioned in my first post here about 5 months ago, lol.... not really actively disco hunting though, and struggling to save for upcoming models I'd rather have.

Still very happy with what I currently have!
I found my original post. Seems I was looking for g10 ukpks back then too hahaha
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Being this great thread has been resurrected with some new input I want to add a few more to my collector/user list. First and foremost I want to find a C-54 big Calypso in Spyderedge :cool: With EVIL D's discovery of full flat grind blades making excellent cutting machines in Spyderedge I want that big original Caly model along with a C-50 Centofante in Spyderedge as well.

I won't stop there either>> I want a replacement for the G-10 Harpy that got stolen from me. And I want at least two more of the original AUS-8 Spyderedged Catcherman models. And that's only for starters :D
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Scorpious, centofante 2 and a spyderfly\smallfly\ of some sort i got a craving to do someflipping
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Had I posted when this thread was first made, the Starmate and PM1 would have been on my list, and they have both been successfully captured! Obviously the Starmate wasn't very hard to find, and I'm glad I did. Very nice knife. Handsome, strong, unassuming, much like myself! :D An original one would have been neat, but the latest version is plenty cool.

All I can think of that's left is a Captain and a Superhawk. Otherwise I'm more looking forward to future models.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
swigert

Post by swigert »

Jester is one is really like.
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

I just picked up a VG-10 Caly 3.5 for a great deal on BF. Still searching for "reasonably" priced original large Persian and CF stretch.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

i'd love a rock lobster...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:i'd love a rock lobster...
Yeah that's one I missed out on unfortunately and I'm really thinking it's about time to consider it for a Sprint Run in one of the Supersteels. It and the Caspian Salt were two I just couldn't get the funds up at the time or I had other models that took priority.

I've also got this sense of urgency about grabbing all the Spyderhawk models I can get my hands on as well. I'm not very optimistic that the Spyderhawk will ever return unfortunately and I do hope I'm wrong about that model.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I may be interested in the CF/S30V Cat.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Very short list. Chinook....if they do a Sprint Or something I'm good with that, I just need one.....I like the look of the Rhino, it looks like a mini chinook, but too small for me.
FDE

Post by FDE »

Ronin (the original - Ronin 1?) fixed blade. I can't believe how difficult it's been to find one of these.
Good luck to everyone on their search!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BTG wrote:Very short list. Chinook....if they do a Sprint Or something I'm good with that, I just need one.....I like the look of the Rhino, it looks like a mini chinook, but too small for me.
Not really wanting the RHINO you're speaking of but there was a variant of the original Lil Temperance that everyone referred to as the Rhino Horn version ( upswept, trailing point blade version). And I always wondered why they never did a Spyderedged version of the Rhino Horn Lil Tempoerance :confused: Because the leaf blade Lil T in Spyderedge was like a demolition type blade :cool:

But the Rhino Horn Lil T was truly one of a kind>> Spyderco never made another of any model that even remotely resembled it. As popular as the Lil T has been over the years I'm just totally perplexed as to why it never returned :confused: at least in a Sprint Run if nothing else. There was a lot of talk of a Lil T 2 but nothing ever came of it as far as I know.

I'm also encouraged that so many of you mentioned the RENEGADE model>>I've been saying for a long time that a Sprint Run RENEGADE with one of the newer/better blade steels would be an instant sell-out.
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment

]Got this one the way from a member on BF. Stoked!!
Attachments
image.jpg