Sal what are the longterm Caly plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Sal what are the longterm Caly plans?

Post by sal »

We have a Caly 3 in -the-works in HAP 40. We also have Horn model to honor Jess. They will tell the story.

sal
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

sal wrote:We have a Caly 3 in -the-works in HAP 40. We also have Horn model to honor Jess. They will tell the story.

sal
Thank you :D :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:We have a Caly 3 in -the-works in HAP 40. We also have Horn model to honor Jess. They will tell the story.

sal
Thank you sir.
Is any chance for new Caly3.5? This is not that I do not like Caly3. I love it. Just it will be great to have new Caly3.5 as well :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Got them both on pre-order, Sal. Thanks!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

sal

Two of my most anticipated upcoming models!

Excited to hear when they'll be released.

Murphjd, glad you bumped this thread back up. Good to hear there are still users out there freshly realizing the brilliance in the Caly.
I agree with what Roman said, it is a king among EDC knives.
Going back to Caly.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Thank you kindly Sal! That is good news, Moki makes some beautiful knives that is for sure. Who has the caly 3 up for pre order? I would like to get in line.

Thanks speedholes, I'm starting to think I need some more Moki in my life!
Josh
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

The specs for the C113GPGR Caly 3 list the weight as 4.1 ounces. That is very surprising to me, as previous Caly 3 models (in CF and G10) came in at 3 ounces - not to mention that the Paramilitary 3, with G10 handles, also weighs in at 3 ounces. Anyone know why it is so heavy? Much as I would love a Caly 3 with G10 handles, the 4 ounce weight is a deal-breaker for me.
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

The specs for the C113GPGR Caly 3 list the weight as 4.1 ounces. That is very surprising to me, as previous Caly 3 models (in CF and G10) came in at 3 ounces - not to mention that the Paramilitary 3, with G10 handles, also weighs in at 3 ounces. Anyone know why the new Caly 3 is so heavy? Much as I would love a Caly 3 with G10 handles, the 4 ounce weight is a deal-breaker for me.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Will Rogers wrote:The specs for the C113GPGR Caly 3 list the weight as 4.1 ounces. That is very surprising to me, as previous Caly 3 models (in CF and G10) came in at 3 ounces - not to mention that the Paramilitary 3, with G10 handles, also weighs in at 3 ounces. Anyone know why the new Caly 3 is so heavy? Much as I would love a Caly 3 with G10 handles, the 4 ounce weight is a deal-breaker for me.
We were discussing this recently. That big of a weight difference has to be a misprint.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
attila

Post by attila »

murphjd25 wrote:Who has the caly 3 up for pre order? I would like to get in line.
I pre-ordered from Knifecenter, and I thought I saw one other retailer permitting pre-orders but don't recall which.
$128.97 is how much I signed up for.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP113G ... sprint-run
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
bh49

Post by bh49 »

attila wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:Who has the caly 3 up for pre order? I would like to get in line.
I pre-ordered from Knifecenter, and I thought I saw one other retailer permitting pre-orders but don't recall which.

This is one known issue with pre-orders at KC. Sometimes they take more pre-orders than they can deliver. So keep your eyes open on what is going on at another dealers as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

attila

Post by attila »

bh49 wrote:
attila wrote:

This is one known issue with pre-orders at KC. Sometimes they take more pre-orders than they can deliver. So keep your eyes open on what is going on at another dealers as well.
I wasn't aware of that issue, so thanks for the heads up.

Can you recommend a better place to pre-order from?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Donut

Post by Donut »

attila wrote:
bh49 wrote:
attila wrote:

It usually turns out better if you read the forum once a day and when you hear that they are being released, you keep an eye on some of the big dealers. Usually when something is being released, someone will start a thread and when people are looking for one for themself, they will post where they are available from.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
attila

Post by attila »

Donut wrote:
attila wrote:
bh49 wrote:
attila wrote:

It usually turns out better if you read the forum once a day and when you hear that they are being released, you keep an eye on some of the big dealers. Usually when something is being released, someone will start a thread and when people are looking for one for themself, they will post where they are available from.

Thank you. I chose to preorder this time to avoid that whole waiting-and-rushing-to-buy game.

Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Will Rogers wrote:The specs for the C113GPGR Caly 3 list the weight as 4.1 ounces. That is very surprising to me, as previous Caly 3 models (in CF and G10) came in at 3 ounces - not to mention that the Paramilitary 3, with G10 handles, also weighs in at 3 ounces. Anyone know why the new Caly 3 is so heavy? Much as I would love a Caly 3 with G10 handles, the 4 ounce weight is a deal-breaker for me.
We were discussing this recently. That big of a weight difference has to be a misprint.
OK - so when the sprint run is released, Spyderco will publish the actual specs, and I can make a decision at that time whether to buy the knife.
Donut

Post by Donut »

attila wrote:
Donut wrote:
attila wrote:
bh49 wrote:
attila wrote:

Thank you. I chose to preorder this time to avoid that whole waiting-and-rushing-to-buy game.
I'll tell you what, though. I've been on a few pre-orders and it isn't uncommon to be sitting on a pre-order and the product comes out and if I'm paying attention two weeks go by with products being in stock at various dealers before mine would ship.

I think it has a good deal to do with how the products are distributed.

A basic mock-up: If there are 1,000 products and there are 20 dealers and each dealer gets 50. I don't think they get everything in one shipment. If your dealer gets two shipments of 25 and you're pre-order #26, you could be waiting a while.

That said, I've been getting better service from the dealers who don't take pre-orders. Back in the day of the Blue Manix, I was on pre-order for like 6 months and the dealer never filled my order, I had to order it from someone else.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Generally speaking, With this maker, we are shipped about 200 pcs per month of a 1200 pc run. We have about 20 US distributors, about 40 overseas, which service many dealers worldwide. Dealers and distributors place their orders for the sprint. Kelly records, tally's and tries to fairly distribute the available product. Above all else, she will be fair. Even our own store (SFO) has an allotment.

We never know if there will be demand until after the orders are placed. Some designs may not get enough orders to sustain inventory. Some designs sell out in a few days. Right now, the maker is producing the HAP 40 Caly 3 (1200 pcs) and the Jess Horn "memory" version. (1200 pcs) The samples were surprisingly good. We're waiting on production. We should have the samples at the SHOT show. The first 400 pcs generally go out to "collectors" and "Premier" distributors first

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

So that's pretty awesome that you're so impressed with the new Caly and baby Horn samples Sal!!! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sal,
Thank you for sharing. You know, we are waiting for new Caly a long time. All of us really appreciate that you listening and taking care of our desires.
Thank you,
Roman

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Roman,

I work for the ELU.

sal