Making a mini Southard, any tips?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DigDug72

Re: Making a mini Southard, any tips?

Post by DigDug72 »

alright, finally wrapped 'er up. lighting is suckin bad tho, so pics tomorrow.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Thanks to everyone here who helped me via advice and/or encouragement! You guys made it all possible for this rookie to make his grail come into being. So hyped, thanks again Spydie community! Glamour shots:
SouthardMod_Final1_sml.jpg
SouthardMod_Final2_sml.jpg
SouthardMod_Final3_sml.jpg
SouthardMod_Final4_sml.jpg
SouthardMod_Final5_sml.jpg
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Final glam shots:
SouthardMod_Final6_sml.jpg
SouthardMod_Final7_sml.jpg
SouthardMod_Final8_sml.jpg
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Special thanks to Evil D and SpeedHoles for your invaluable advice and feedback!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Hey, no need to thank me! I'm just writing stuff on an internet forum!

YOU did an incredible job there, digdug! For a rookie, nobody would know! Seems you've mastered a good technique with an awesome result! I really dig the line on the finished product! Looks like it must feel great in hand, too.

Such a long long way from polishing a turd, lol. :D
Going back to Caly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The finished product looks great, Dig! Nicely done. :) What's next?? :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Even more special when you do it yourself! If you ever tap holes for the pocket clip, just know you need to go up one size for the actual hole before you tap. A few threads on BF where some known modders do in depth about this topic.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Looks awesome man, like it could have come from the factory that way. Well done.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

It's so cute!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Well done, that's a fantastic looking knife!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Thanks you guys! Cjoe - I appreciate the advice, been goin back and forth about a pocket clip for this. Might still happen, but I love the way it feels without.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

SpyderNut - what's next is the million dollar question for me. I'm hooked bad on this modding thing now! Was checking Smock's mini PM2 for inspiration, but wasn't doin it for me. i have a viper dan2, and a boker mini-kwaiken on the way (forgive me Spydie gods!!!), but neither seem itching for a mod. any of you guys seen any super awesome mods (outside of spketch and others' amazing scale work, which is out of my league) that might inspire my next project?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DigDug72 wrote:SpyderNut - what's next is the million dollar question for me. I'm hooked bad on this modding thing now! Was checking Smock's mini PM2 for inspiration, but wasn't doin it for me. i have a viper dan2, and a boker mini-kwaiken on the way (forgive me Spydie gods!!!), but neither seem itching for a mod. any of you guys seen any super awesome mods (outside of spketch and others' amazing scale work, which is out of my league) that might inspire my next project?

Alright, here's the next challenge - identify a Spyderco model that could be potentially modified to be the first functioning Spydie front flipper! :D
Might start a new trend if you find one that works!
Going back to Caly.
flatearth

Post by flatearth »

SpeedHoles wrote:
DigDug72 wrote:SpyderNut - what's next is the million dollar question for me. I'm hooked bad on this modding thing now! Was checking Smock's mini PM2 for inspiration, but wasn't doin it for me. i have a viper dan2, and a boker mini-kwaiken on the way (forgive me Spydie gods!!!), but neither seem itching for a mod. any of you guys seen any super awesome mods (outside of spketch and others' amazing scale work, which is out of my league) that might inspire my next project?

Alright, here's the next challenge - identify a Spyderco model that could be potentially modified to be the first functioning Spydie front flipper! :D
this guy modded a GB1 that can front flip:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43214&start=2440#p1054609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

flatearth wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:

this guy modded a GB1 that can front flip:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43214&start=2440#p1054609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link! I even posted on that same page, but somehow apparently missed that. :o
Going back to Caly.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

man, I didn't even know what a front flipper was, had to look it up on the interwebs! and realized that my new viper dan 2 is just itching to be modded into one. hmmmm.....(gonna haveta jump forums tho!) Love the action on that knife already, but a flipping version would be insane.
definitely interested in this whole realm, thanks for gettin this rolling SH!
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

thanks for that link flatearth, really intriguing me now. I remember seeing those pics before and just dismissing the mod, but now I'm catching on to the magic of opening in that way...
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DigDug72 wrote:man, I didn't even know what a front flipper was, had to look it up on the interwebs! and realized that my new viper dan 2 is just itching to be modded into one. hmmmm.....(gonna haveta jump forums tho!) Love the action on that knife already, but a flipping version would be insane.
definitely interested in this whole realm, thanks for gettin this rolling SH!

Is the Viper Dan a slipjoint? If that's the same knife I am thinking of, it has some great lines! Almost jumped on a used one, but when I found it was a slippie, I decided to pass...
Going back to Caly.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

yep, its a slipjoint. was skeptical, but the blade shape and contoured scales made me wanna try it, and I'm glad I did. feels super solid open, and with a thumb on the spine its not going anywhere while cutting - only done some food prep, cardboard cutting, and a lil whittling so far, nothing even remotely hard, but she's handled em like a champ. give it a whirl if you have the opportunity, it's an awesome knife.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DigDug72 wrote:yep, its a slipjoint. was skeptical, but the blade shape and contoured scales made me wanna try it, and I'm glad I did. feels super solid open, and with a thumb on the spine its not going anywhere while cutting - only done some food prep, cardboard cutting, and a lil whittling so far, nothing even remotely hard, but she's handled em like a champ. give it a whirl if you have the opportunity, it's an awesome knife.

You should post a photo of it in the "what else are you carrying" thread in the off-topic sub forum. ;)
Going back to Caly.