Amsterdam Meetsters

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Amsterdam Meetsters

Post by sal »

Eric and I were discussing the A'Dam meet with Bart. He was in Denver for a forum on his Solar powered boats that ride on foils (great project BTW, (TU Delft). He made a few suggestions that we thought were good and we thought perhaps we could get more on improving the meet?

sal
DutchBlades

Re: Amsterdam Meetsters

Post by DutchBlades »

Hmm... I'll surely be joining the meet again if I get a seat this year and I'd love to see name tags/stickers so we know who's who ;)

Perhaps a small factory seconds sale for those that can't get to the one in Golden?
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I'd like to see a few other things included in the SpyderCollector pictures and descriptions: in hand pictures and more specs including weight.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

As discussed at the seconds sale, what we really need is a Golden meet. ;)

I know that's not the topic of this thread, but I wanted to make a reminder that some of us would greatly enjoy a U.S. meeting.
sal

Post by sal »

We're considering a Golden Meet.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The name tag idea is a good one. Forum name and first name would probably help people get acquainted.

Sal, if you do one in golden you might have to rent out Sports Authority Field at Mile High lol.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

people will be camping out for it like the seconds sale if you do one in Golden!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:We're considering a Golden Meet.

sal
Is any chance for North East meet? :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
sal

Post by sal »

Right now, we're trying to improve the concept of the Meet. If we can get it right, I would guess there would be possibilities of several.

We've had a couple in the UK which went well.

sal
Ulf

Post by Ulf »

Would be great if purchase of some merchandise could be possible.
Sale of (of course a limited variety of) seconds sounds too good to become true for us Europeans :cool:

Why not integrating a small "exibition"? People can bring their modified / customized Spydies - I' m sure people would love to bring, see and discuss. And you might get some ideas for upcoming sprint runs ;)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Ulf wrote:Would be great if purchase of some merchandise could be possible.
Sale of (of course a limited variety of) seconds sounds too good to become true for us Europeans :cool:
That plus engraving the blades
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

How about feedback, does Spyderco get enough feedback from the meet? Maybe a survey at the end?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

How about a hosted mixer or a dinner gathering? In the mixer, everyone would come to a banquet room, wearing a name tag with user name and first name. There would be drinks and snacks for purchase (perhaps an entry fee to offset cost?). This could be done one evening. Also, there could be a tour of the city attractions set up for the Spydie Group, too.
I would also suggest a laser engraver to etch the blades with a commemoration of the event.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sal,

I really like the sound of this. Would the Golden Meet be about the same size as the Amsterdam Meet (i.e. around 80 participants) or perhaps a bit larger?

I can't think of too much to add, except I think it would be very informative and fun if a few of the knife designers/collaborators could attend the Meet too. It would give the participants an opportunity to ask questions, discuss concepts, etc., behind the new designs.

Regardless, I've been dreaming of this for a long time. I've also already received pre-approval from my wife to attend. Sign me up! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I would very much be more able to make it to a Golden Meet than Amsterdam. I'd like to see Amsterdam one day, very much, but for a Spyderco meet I could definitely do Golden (And would certainly). Amsterdam is a very optimistic "Maybe" however. If a Golden meet happens however, I'll be there for the first one.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I know it may not be possible but the one thing I've always missed is seeing the prototypes. If you can't be there in person, it would be cool to be able to see them online somehow.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I wish I was an Amsterdam Meetster! Such a funny title.

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:I know it may not be possible but the one thing I've always missed is seeing the prototypes. If you can't be there in person, it would be cool to be able to see them online somehow.
I think people get to see them at various knife shows around the U.S. So if you could make it to one of those you would be able to have a look. There is shot show and one in Oregon if I'm not mistaken.

@liquid_cobra
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Evil D wrote:I know it may not be possible but the one thing I've always missed is seeing the prototypes. If you can't be there in person, it would be cool to be able to see them online somehow.
I think people get to see them at various knife shows around the U.S. So if you could make it to one of those you would be able to have a look. There is shot show and one in Oregon if I'm not mistaken.
More meets! I wonder how many others of us only get to handle the Spydies that we buy?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Doc Dan wrote:How about a hosted mixer or a dinner gathering? In the mixer, everyone would come to a banquet room, wearing a name tag with user name and first name. There would be drinks and snacks for purchase (perhaps an entry fee to offset cost?). This could be done one evening. .
If the logistics of that could be worked out, it'd be excellent.

Putting faces to usernames is part of the attraction of the Meet IMHO :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/