Amsterdam Meetsters

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Re: Amsterdam Meetsters

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I think it would be interesting to have a Q&A session. A panel chaired by Sal or Eric and with maybe 4 or 5 other designers could take questions from the audience or pre-submitted questions from the forum and then discuss amongst themselves. I watched the round table discussion Nutnfancy videoed at SHOT Show this year with Sal, Eric, Gayle Bradley, Ed Schempp, Phil Wilson and Brad Southard and it made for fascinating viewing.

It might be fun to do some workshops as well. For example Sal could do a knife sharpening demonstration using some of the knives in the current line up, educating us on getting the best performance out of our knives. A cutting demo would be fun to watch as well using current knives and maybe a little contest between Sal and Eric? Also a self defence workshop would be interesting. Maybe Michael Janich could give us a demonstration of Spyderco's latest SD knives and teach a few basic moves people can practice at home.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Name tags seem like they might be a sensible addition. Quite a few people who know each other there but makes it easier on the rusty brain and in general for people who haven't met everybody yet, which is probably most of us.
A seconds sale would off course be greatly appreciated but I presume that one of the reasons to do it is to not have to drag stuff all over the world so I would not consider that a real option.
Somehow make time stop a few hours because it always seems to be so many knives in so little time, trying to pay attention to the talks while you're checking out some great new knives. Also a reason I don't think there would even be time for a seconds sale.
It is such a great unique event that I find it hard to come up with sensible upgrades.. Off course always great to have other designers as guests when possible. (like Farid Mehr last year)
The above suggestions sound good, if time can be found to do them.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Sal, it was great to be able to attend the meet last time, and I definitely have some suggestions for improving the experience. I should mention that as one of the few Americans in the bunch, and being someone that doesn't speak dutch, my thoughts are mostly on getting the opportunity to speak more with the other attendees as well as provide more effective feedback. While everyone spoke english when addressing the spydercrew during the presentation, side conversations were often in dutch, which made it impossible to jump in a conversation and get to know people. Also, the rapid pace of the main portion, while totally necessary due to the large amount of prototypes, limited the amount of time each person could handle each prototype and generate opinions about it.

First, name tags with forum name are a very good idea, and the ability to see whether or not someone is a forum member will go a long way towards getting people to introduce themselves. For instance, I met IG-88 at the meet, but I think he introduced himself and that was a chance meeting.

Second, perhaps there could be a "focus group" portion of the day, where everyone splits into groups of 5-8 and each group gets handed one of the prototypes to handle for a more extended amount of time and discuss among themselves. After this, everyone in the group could fill out a feedback card with notes about the prototype they got. This way, the spydercrew could get a bit more in-depth feedback on a given design, with the side benefit of generating some discussion among the attendees.

Otherwise I think the meet was great, and a once in a lifetime experience. A unique tradition that shows Spyderco's deep connection with its customers.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Streaming video would allow the ninety-some percent of Spyderco forumites who can't attend in person to at least see some of the goodies. Might be too late to implement it for '16, but still something to consider for future years.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

The Deacon wrote:Streaming video would allow the ninety-some percent of Spyderco forumites who can't attend in person to at least see some of the goodies. Might be too late to implement it for '16, but still something to consider for future years.
Great idea! I'd pay for this service
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

The Deacon wrote:Streaming video would allow the ninety-some percent of Spyderco forumites who can't attend in person to at least see some of the goodies. Might be too late to implement it for '16, but still something to consider for future years.
The A'dam meet was always a pleasure for me, but I doubt that any streaming video might be possible, because Sal and Eric always showed some concept models which were not determined for a public sphere. The knives were always handpicked so that Wouter could photograph them.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:I know it may not be possible but the one thing I've always missed is seeing the prototypes. If you can't be there in person, it would be cool to be able to see them online somehow.
live broadcast on youtube?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Liquid Cobra wrote: I think people get to see them at various knife shows around the U.S. So if you could make it to one of those you would be able to have a look. There is shot show and one in Oregon if I'm not mistaken.
If I am not mistaken, shot show is only for industry professionals. So only Oregon and Blade. Closest is 1000 mile away from my home. :(
IIRC, Spyderco used to come to NY custom shows years ago. It is too bad that it was stopped.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MarcusH wrote:
The A'dam meet was always a pleasure for me, but I doubt that any streaming video might be possible, because Sal and Eric always showed some concept models which were not determined for a public sphere. The knives were always handpicked so that Wouter could photograph them.
I'm aware of the concept model secrecy issue. It would certainly call for discretion on the videographer's part, but I don't see it as impossible, as long as he knows what can and cannot be shown clearly. Intentionally blurring the focus, or pointing the camera somewhere else, while those particular knives are being shown comes to mind. Wouter's photos would continue to be the primary method for giving us high quality images of the new prototypes that the world is allowed to see, Real time streaming video would be more a way to allow folks to share the overall experience.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

DutchBlades wrote:Hmm... I'll surely be joining the meet again if I get a seat this year and I'd love to see name tags/stickers so we know who's who ;)

Perhaps a small factory seconds sale for those that can't get to the one in Golden?
Could push me to move to Amsterdam !

Ulf wrote:Would be great if purchase of some merchandise could be possible.
Sale of (of course a limited variety of) seconds sounds too good to become true for us Europeans :cool:

Why not integrating a small "exibition"? People can bring their modified / customized Spydies - I' m sure people would love to bring, see and discuss. And you might get some ideas for upcoming sprint runs ;)
Nice idea !!
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Thanks for the question Sal!

I have been to all the Dutch meets so far and have enjoyed them a lot! Every year there seem to be more knives on the table. Last year I thought there were almost to many...

My suggestion would be to focus in your presentation on new knives, and prototypes and what kind of input you would like from us, as well as perhaps a talk/discusion of where you see knife design and Spyderco going in the future. In that case you would not pass all the knives around, just a selection. This would give more time in the afternoon for people to come to the table and talk to you and Eric as well as more time for people to talk among themselves.

A Sal and an Eric clone! ;-)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Nasgul wrote: Could push me to move to Amsterdam !
Come on, in Europe everything is within driving distance.
You can probably drive to Amsterdam during your lunch break :)

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

RamZar wrote:I'd like to see a few other things included in the SpyderCollector pictures and descriptions: in hand pictures and more specs including weight.
Thank you and 'great minds think alike'. For that past few years I've added in-hand pictures for all the prototypes. And I've been thinking about bringing along some sort of scale and callipers to get even more and more precise specs.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Meet as it is now is IMO, a great awesome concept, period. The early meets seemed to have had a bit more interaction. It was a much smaller group and setting, so each new prototype seemed to get an immediate roundtable discussion. And I liked that a lot. With the current size this is much more difficult, and sometimes, people in the back get the prototype in hand and then a third or fourth proto is being discussed. I'm not sure I have a concrete solution, but I think it could be nice to see if we can create more interaction throughout the meet. Either with a mixer-type idea, allowing little tables to show off each other's 'best collectible' or 'hardest working edc etc...'.

Or to incorporate everything I mentioned. How about if the meet starts with a 'walk-in/mixer/reception style setting'. All the prototypes are on the table and Sal and Eric handle all questions etc... elsewhere in the room there is the opportunity to showcase your best collectible/hardest working EDC etc... And there's room/opportunity for everyone to catch-up. At the same time, everyone has to pick the 15 or 20 most favorite prototypes that they want to see Sal and Eric's presentation on. After lunch, the meet continues with the set-up that's been done so far. Eric and Sal present the chosen number of prototypes indepth. Using a more limited number of prototypes for this type of presentation, could possibly result in more discussion/interaction with the crowd. Anyways, that's just a first brainstorm.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

And totally irrelevant but just for giggles, couldn't help but notice the title Amsterdam Meetsters, the masters in "Dutch Masters" (as in painters) are meesters in Dutch.. Just had to mention for the non Dutch speakers. ;)

Irrelevant intermezzo and please carry on with the good ideas. :D
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Mr Blonde wrote:
RamZar wrote:I'd like to see a few other things included in the SpyderCollector pictures and descriptions: in hand pictures and more specs including weight.
Thank you and 'great minds think alike'. For that past few years I've added in-hand pictures for all the prototypes. And I've been thinking about bringing along some sort of scale and callipers to get even more and more precise specs.
One of the good ideas and would be well appreciated!
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

As a spydie-holic and member of the forum I am interested in these discussions, but sadly I doubt the Amsterdam meet is in my future ... a Golden meet, while far more likely is a stretch ... now a North East meet ... or a South East meet ... or an ANY East meet ... THAT I would most definitely do!
Looking forward to hearing more details on any of the above - team player and all ... ;)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Mr Blonde wrote:
You're a valuable resource to upcoming Spyderco products and personally greatly appreciated. Love your pictures.

Including more in-hand pictures (for some reverse grips if called for) and possibly relevant comparison pictures (for instance Mantra next to a Delica) would be appreciated. More specs are always great specially the weight.

Text never seduced me as much as the facts. That is, unless the designer had a certain philosophy behind a feature (right or wrong, subjective or objective) that seems pertinent.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

bh49 wrote:
Nasgul wrote: Could push me to move to Amsterdam !
Come on, in Europe everything is within driving distance.
You can probably drive to Amsterdam during your lunch break :)
Not during lunch time... To travel to Amsterdam, it's 500 kms... A bit less than 5 hours driving...
Come on in the US, you don't drive, you take a plane :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Maybe another idea for the future would be to have a second meet in Brussels the weekend after the Amsterdam meet? Imho, Brussels is far easier to get to from the UK, France, Germany and there are plenty of low cost airlines flying in from southern and eastern Europe. And not wishing to upset our fellow Dutch Spydie fans but the Belgians do make better beer :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon