Des Horn latecomer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Des Horn latecomer

Post by SG89 »

Amazon had a great lightning deal on a Des Horn earlier this week so I got one thinking it would be a present to my self for getting a good paying job. Never really a knife that caught my eye but the deal was too good to pass up. First impressions: Beautiful Taiwan fit and finish as always (can Taiwan make a bad knife? lol). Love the design and size. Is it a beater? No. But it sure is interesting and nice on the eyes and pocket.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Chinook3

Re: Des Horn latecomer

Post by Chinook3 »

Hi Spydergirl, I almost had to get that deal too! Such a good price but I did resist (it was tough, you understand :D )
Cool knife I bet it's even nicer in the hand like a lot of Spyderco's, enjoy your Des Horn and congratulations. :spyder:
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have one. It is super duper nice but the tip is so fine. It is a great light duty EDC with a splinter picker point. I bought mine at the seconds sale for about what you paid. I haven't used it much in the last two weeks but I am glad that the blade is so long for the handle because at some point I am gonna mess this tip up and have to grind some spine off. I'll probably try to make the tip a little less acute if I do have to regrind it to get a tip back. It really is a unique knife. There was a thread recently about a shirt pocket knife. This is it. I carried this in the front pocket of a flannel shirt on turkey day and couldn't even tell it was there. Very light weight. Plus, I am a tip down guy and I had to have the only Spydie with a tip down wire clip.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I grabbed one when Sierra closed them out. I sure am glad I did. I'd been eyeing it for a while, but I had no idea that I'd like it so much, since the handle looked like it might be a little insecure. Not in the least. I love it. Had I seen the lightning deal, I might have gotten a pre-need replacement. :D

Gordon
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Congrats, Spydergirl88! I am slightly jealous right now. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I've been carrying mine to work the last couple of days and enjoy the knife, overall. I have the custom version it's based on (at least, I think it is...it's a model # that escapes me as I type this). The custom has CF scales and is a front flipper.

What I do like:

Fit, Finish, and feel of the scales. I like the handle scales a lot, a nice alternative to carbon fiber.

Smoothness - blade opens very smoothly and the lock is easy to use with a nice lockup

Ergos - it fits in the hand quite well

Design - it's a unique little gent's knife that feels very high quality and classy

What I don't like:

S30V steel, high-ish carbide steel doesn't make much sense to me on this knife. CPM-154 would have been perfect and I think some of Des' customs use an equivalent steel RWL-34 (mine is Nitrobe 77), probably the one knife I would prefer to have in VG-10

Sharpness of the spine (custom has rounded edges)

Sharpness of the lockbar

Overall, I'm glad I picked it up. I don't know if I would recommend it at $100+, but I think with an appropriate blade steel and some knocked off edges on a few things, it would be worth far more than that. After all, the custom was many times what this one sold for
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Nice score on that deal!

I have yet to try one of these out.
Going back to Caly.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

An art deco knife, if ever there was one.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

They only just shipped mine today :(

I must've really squeaked in at the end of that deal. It was above 90% claimed when I clicked the order button, and then I refreshed it and it was gone. Because with Prime I would have expected it in my hands on Wednesday.

Congrats on yours, spyder girl!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I paid for the one day shipping and it still took three days when it usually is quicker than that but amazon is getting slammed with orders this time of year. Sorry you have to wait
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Thanks. It'll probably be a safe queen, though, unless it really clicks with me. But I at least wanted to play with it and take photos!

It'll get here Monday with my HAP40 Delica and a couple other random knives I think. It's been 20 years since I've held a butterfly style knife. I've been wanting to do a one-handed deployment video for Youtube on different styles of knives.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Congratulations on the new job and the Des Horn. This knife is one that looks so much better in person than in photographs and that slim point is pretty handy for some task like splinter removal.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Mine's a good specimen.