The Stainless Dilemma

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What do you prefer Stainless or non stainless?

I prefer Stainless
47%
I prefer non Stainless
10%
Either is fine with me.
43%

Total votes: 79

Cobalt

The Stainless Dilemma

Post by Cobalt »

As a long time Spyderco fan, and I mean very long time, lol, I have always wondered what that majority of people prefer in a folder. I have always been on the fence on this. So the question is in a folding knife which do you prefer a stainless steel or non stainless(your pick). My general preference has always been stainless because it maintains easier in the hard to reach areas, but I generally prefer non stainless blades in all other situations. When the Tuff came out, I jumped on it. One of the tougher non stainless steels available for sure. So what is your preference? I will add a poll here.
gbelleh

Re: The Stainless Dilemma

Post by gbelleh »

I pretty much always prefer stainless. There's never been anything I need to do with a knife that a good stainless steel can't do, without any extra maintenance or concern.
:bug-red-white
palonej

Post by palonej »

Another stainless vote here.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think most of my favorite steels fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. Stainlessness isn't black and white. D2 and Cruwear are almost stainless and while M4 will rust quickly it isn't 1095 either. ZDP is kind of sort of stainless too and it rocks. That said, corrosion resistance is pretty far down on my list and it is only a factor if the application requires it. I use 1095 in my kitchen and also while camping without issue. I also appreciate that the Ladybug Hawkbill Salt that lives in my watch pocket everyday is totally maintenance free in that sometimes warm sweaty area. I like a lot of steels. Today I am carrying S110V, Super Blue and H1. Variety is what I like.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I think most of my favorite steels fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. Stainlessness isn't black and white. D2 and Cruwear are almost stainless and while M4 will rust quickly it isn't 1095 either. ZDP is kind of sort of stainless too and it rocks. That said, corrosion resistance is pretty far down on my list and it is only a factor if the application requires it. I use 1095 in my kitchen and also while camping without issue. I also appreciate that the Ladybug Hawkbill Salt that lives in my watch pocket everyday is totally maintenance free in that sometimes warm sweaty area. I like a lot of steels. Today I am carrying S110V, Super Blue and H1. Variety is what I like.
Pretty much what Darby said. Stainless vs. non stainless is pretty low on my list too except in certain applications (Like my kayak fishing) where it gets bumped up to the very top of the list. Outside of that harsh environment though, I am able to maintain my knives easily whether they be stainless or non so decisions get based on other properties.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Like others have said, I could go either way. I like stainless for ease of maintenance but I also really like a good patina. Couple of my favs are cruwear and super blue. I especially like how SB patinas.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Cruwear like steels so how should I vote ? :confused: :p
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Cruwear is not stainless so not stainless ;)

I guess I do go either way as well, but after having been in some severely corrosive environments that have corroded a few barely stainless blades, I get hesitant. And it is more of the areas that I cannot easily maintain. Unlike a fixed blade. But I am always a sucker for a nice folder with a quality non stainless steel. Mainly because it is rare to see that.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I strongly prefer stainless. I hate patina. A knife with patina looks a dirty to me.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

It depends on the knife and intended purpose of that knife.

For kitchen knives - stainless, don't want flavor ruined nor do I want to have to worry about wiping down the knife constantly while cooking/prepping

For others, it varies. I like the different options we have with different steels. Sometimes you want something tough with good edge retention, other times it's light duty. Sometimes, the knife is more for show than use.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It's 2015 - stainless, though I don't mind the odd carbon steel blade. You just have to take care of them if you use them.
- best wishes, Jazz.
LC Kid

Either One

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Another 'Either One' vote here. :D

That said, I'm sure if I have to choose a nonsense hardcore use knife I'll go stainless for sure. :cool:
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like both. I think the qualities of a carbon steel suit some knife styles and the qualities of a good stainless suit other knife styles.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My favorite steels are stainless, but I don't fully prefer one over the other.

Another way to say it is, I do prefer stainless, because my favorite steels happen to be stainless, but I don't dislike carbon steels.

Patinas are fun. As long as you keep your pivot protected, even outright rust won't ruin your knife. I have this box knife that I've carried for 15 years, and it has rusted from moisture in my pocket, but the constant wear and use has rubbed the metal to a dull shine. I think this finish is beautiful and if I could deliberately reproduce it on a carbon blade I would in a heartbeat.

awa54

Post by awa54 »

My *favorite* steels are high carbon, but mostly because that's what my favorite *knives* are made of... Believe it or not Spydercos are a close second to hand forged Japanese kitchen cutlery in my opinion. For EDC/pocket/utility I'll gladly go for a good stainless blade.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
BTG

Post by BTG »

Like others, I'll take blade steel into consideration for what I'll be doing that day, but not for which I'll buy, I like and use both, today Elmax, s110v, and as always the LBHB H1 also...but keychained.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

I voted stainless because I always default to a stainless steel when possible. Sometimes it doesn't matter to me though and I like options and to experience all the steels out there so I will not strictly buy stainless knives.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I like both...they tend to have different properties, and I enjoy being able to use both depending on what I'm looking to do. Side note, I consider there to be 3 categories, Stainless, Semi-Stainless, and Non-Stainless, because some "Non-Stainless" steels are quite corrosion resistant unless you really neglect them while exposing them to not optimal conditions. Surface rust spots that rub off on your thumb are a lot different than proper rust.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me it's stainless all the way and I do wish that, since we can no longer be confident that any new steel Spyderco uses will be at least reasonably stainless, that they would provide Q fog data comparisons for the steels they use and have used.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Steel choice on a Spyderco is never a deal breaker.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/