Mantra or Mantra 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Mantra or Mantra 2?

Mantra
56%
Mantra 2
44%

Total votes: 163

spydieh0le

Re: Mantra or Mantra 2?

Post by spydieh0le »

Mantra 2 over @ knifeworks
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
swigert

Post by swigert »

Couldn't make up my mind so I just grabbed both.

I know I will love both, I'm planning on cutting down the collection because I know these will take up so much pocket time.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

http://youtu.be/F_bZELYZq3s

Pretty interesting review. The guys accent is hilarious to me, I could listen to him all day.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Mantra 2 arrived today, its smaller than I imagined but very light and the 2 disappears in pocket. The one I received has perfect F&F, dead centered, flips good and is sharp with even bevels. I like it.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
timlara

Post by timlara »

farnorthdan wrote:Mantra 2 arrived today, its smaller than I imagined but very light and the 2 disappears in pocket. The one I received has perfect F&F, dead centered, flips good and is sharp with even bevels. I like it.
Congrats! I can't wait to get mine in a few days! The lack of a hump/Spydiehole and similarity to the Positron is why I chose the Mantra 2, since I alredy have (and love) the Domino.

The two reasons the Positron wasn't an insta-buy for me are the steel (nothing wrong with S30v, but I already have so much of it) and I found the handle to be just a wee bit too short for my pinky to fit on the end comfortably. The Mantra 2 fixes both of those issues for me, though I do still really like the craftsmanship on the carbon fiber of the Positron.
Liquid Cobra wrote:http://youtu.be/F_bZELYZq3s

Pretty interesting review. The guys accent is hilarious to me, I could listen to him all day.
Totally agree! Very entertaining. :D

I do disagree a bit about the competitive options he suggested for "better" flippers, though. The knives he mentioned are way different in a lot of ways besides just the flipping action.
swigert

Post by swigert »

farnorthdan wrote:Mantra 2 arrived today, its smaller than I imagined but very light and the 2 disappears in pocket. The one I received has perfect F&F, dead centered, flips good and is sharp with even bevels. I like it.

I keep having to remind myself they are delica sized not endura sized.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Definitely more delica sized swigert, even slimmer, really doesn't take up any pocket space.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
swigert

Post by swigert »

farnorthdan wrote:Definitely more delica sized swigert, even slimmer, really doesn't take up any pocket space.
I get the 2 really just melts away. I can't wait to get mine.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I love comparison pics so I thought I would put some up. Sorry the quality isn't better!

The Mantra has the Spyderco look and feel in spades, but the Mantra2 is the knife their lineup was missing IMO. The Positron was a very attractive knife to me because of the reduced lateral width in pocket, but the sharp, portly handle and funky ergos were not to my liking. The Mantra2 ergos are spot on, and despite its arguably awkward looks compared to the Mantra, it all makes perfect sense in my hand. I do wish the blade had a slightly wider profile like the Positron, but that would be purely for aesthetics.

The detent is light on both, requiring a little more attention than some flippers to avoid a failed deployment. The bearings in both my samples are not (yet) very smooth on their races, though the action is free and easy. Lock up is confident, though the interface on the blade of the Mantra2 is slightly cupped and "catches" when disengaging (the Mantra is perfect).

I love that they made both knives and can see why, but there's only one keeper for me!

EDIT: Forgot to include a key for all the kids out there.
940-1, Paramilitary2, Mantra, Sage2, 0450, Mantra2, Positron, Skyline
Last edited by abbazaba on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

abbazaba, I too love comparison pics. Thanks for those. A great choice of comparisons too. I'm on a short trip and also brought the BM 940, ZT 0450, and Positron, plus a Delica, Techno and Slysz to compare with my new Mantra 2. I plan on taking pics if I get a free moment and some good lighting.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Would love to see some domino comparison pics
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Lol. I love this review! On a side note, is it just me or does this guy sound exactly like Miracle Max (Billy Crystal) from Princess Bride? :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Personally, comparison pictures are great specially flippers against other flippers.

It would probably be good to compare Mantra against Domino. I think Mantra is thinner and narrower.

It would also be good to compare Mantra 2 against Positron. Mantra 2 is definitely thinner.

I should be getting my Mantra 2 tomorrow.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
swigert

Post by swigert »

All the comparison pics we can get will be great. I can do some this week Against southard, domini and positron.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thanks for the link lol :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

abbazaba wrote:I love comparison pics so I thought I would put some up. Sorry the quality isn't better!

The Mantra has the Spyderco look and feel in spades, but the Mantra2 is the knife their lineup was missing IMO. The Positron was a very attractive knife to me because of the reduced lateral width in pocket, but the sharp, portly handle and funky ergos were not to my liking. The Mantra2 ergos are spot on, and despite its arguably awkward looks compared to the Mantra, its all makes perfect sense in my hand. I do wish the blade had a slightly wider profile like the Positron, but that would be purely for aesthetics.

The detent is light on both, requiring a little more attention than some flippers to avoid a failed deployment. The bearings in both my samples are not (yet) very smooth on their races, though the action is free and easy. Lock up is confident, though the interface on the blade of the Mantra2 is slightly cupped and "catches" when disengaging (the Mantra is perfect).

I love that they made both knives and can see why, but there's only one keeper for me!

Great shots! Immensely helpful... at emptying my wallet. :p
Going back to Caly.
remnar

Post by remnar »

SpyderNut wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Lol. I love this review! On a side note, is it just me or does this guy sound exactly like Miracle Max (Billy Crystal) from Princess Bride? :p
I was thinking he sounded like Jay Leno doing a "good fellas" accent but I can also hear the Miracle Max similarity. :D
quangnguyen

Post by quangnguyen »

I have both mantra and mantra 2. Love them all :D
My knife blog TheKnivester
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum quangnguyen, which one do you like better, I have the 2 and really like how slim in pocket it is.

jalcon

Post by jalcon »

I'd be all over the Mantra 2 if you could open it any other way other than flipping it, I'm sure i'd flip it 90% of the time, just like to have another option..Oh well.