Mantra or Mantra 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Mantra or Mantra 2?

Mantra
56%
Mantra 2
44%

Total votes: 163

swigert

Re: Mantra or Mantra 2?

Post by swigert »

I'm also hoping washers just wear well.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The January 2016 issue of Spyderco Byte has this to say about the Mantra and Mantra 2:
Since Spyderco introduced its first flipper-style folding knife, the Southard Folder™, several years ago, our customers have clearly demonstrated that they’re hungry for more. In response to that demand, we’re proud to introduce two brand-new flipper designs that are quintessentially Spyderco: the Mantra™ and Mantra 2. These highly evolved flipper-style folders showcase state-of-the-art materials, advanced design features, high-performance blade steel, and classic Spyderco styling.

As siblings, the Mantra and Mantra 2 share identical handle construction. Built on a framework of two precision-machined solid titanium scales, the handle design features an open-backed construction that reduces weight and simplifies cleaning and maintenance. The reverse-side scale houses a sturdy Reeve Integral Lock (R.I.L.) mechanism that includes a hardened stainless steel interface. This premium feature ensures steel-on-steel contact of the lock face and blade tang and guarantees solid, reliable lock engagement and a long service life. It also serves double duty as an overtravel stop, restricting the movement of the lock bar when the knife is closed to maintain optimal spring tension. The stonewashed titanium scales are also home to a reversible deep-pocket wire clip. Easily switched for left or right-side tip-up carry in the pocket, this unique clip carries the knife very discreetly while still ensuring immediate access.

The blades of the Mantra and Mantra 2 are also unique in that they are ground from high-performance CPM® M4 tool steel—a powder metallurgy steel specially formulated to offer outstanding wear resistance, toughness, and edge retention. The Blade of the Mantra has a classic Spyderco leaf-shaped profile and is full-flat ground for optimal edge geometry. It includes both an index-finger flipper and a full-sized Trademark Round Hole™ that allow it to be opened with a full spectrum of one-handed methods. In contrast, the Mantra 2’s narrow, utilitarian, drop-point blade profile is somewhat reminiscent of a filet knife, but is ideally suited to a broad range of cutting tasks. Although it includes a small Trademark Round Hole™ that proudly identifies it as a Spyderco product, the Mantra 2’s blade is designed only for flipper-style opening. Both blades pivot on special ball-bearing washers that greatly reduce friction and provide an incredibly smooth opening action.

The Mantra and Mantra 2 represent a powerful fusion of time-tested Spyderco design principles, high-performance materials, and the Kit Carson-inspired flipper opener. They also benefit a worthy cause, as Spyderco proudly donates a portion of the sales of both of these knives to The National Parkinson Foundation.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
rennet

Post by rennet »

Does anyone know if Spyderco's HT target for M4 is still 62-64HRC?
The factory edge on my Mantra 2 microchipped slightly (barely visible under a 10x loupe, but easily felt) while cutting cardboard boxes so I went to put a fresh edge on the knife starting with a 240 grit Shapton ceramic. The steel felt much harder and more resistant to grinding than Spyderco's previous M4 knives and even their S90V/S110V (Manix 2XL/Mule).
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

That lock bar looks awful thin. Any issues so far?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Pockets wrote:That lock bar looks awful thin. Any issues so far?
Lock bar seems plenty strong, and has no flex unlike some liner locks. I've thought about removing the jimping on the lock from my Mantra2... There is none on the top of the knife and it just seems unnecessary and slightly uncomfortable in use. Sage2 is much more comfortable to disengage, for example.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've noticed over the last few days that my Mantra doesn't feel very smooth when I'm closing it. Specifically like there is some resistance once the detent ball comes into contact with the blade. I thought about taking it apart and then I remembered the advice Michael Janich gave the forum about how to smooth out the Yojimbo 2. He recommended a bit of grease on the detent ball. Well it worked on my Yojimbo 2 and it worked on my Mantra. Opening and closing is buttery smooth now. I'm not sure how long it will last before I have to reapply some more but I remember it lasted a long time on my Yojimbo 2. Hope this helps anyone that is having issues.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

My Mantra keeps getting smoother! One thing I always do with frame/liner lock knives is I stuff the detent hole with heavy grease. This way everytime it closes, a touch of grease gets on the ball. I repeat as necessary, depending on use but I rarely have had to go back and add any. I really end up doing it only if I take a knife apart to clean it. The mantra was tricky to get a bit of grease in the hole as there's not a lot of space to sneak it in and I don't pull a knife apart until I feel I have to, But I managed and it took the "chalkiness" I was experiencing away almost immediately.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Yup, similar experience. My mantra came a few days ago, feelin smooth except when the blade came into contact w/ the detent ball, and the chalkiness would kick in. A lil nano oil on the detent ball, plus some good ole ocd flicky flicky, and she's smooth as silk now.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

DigDug72 wrote:Yup, similar experience. My mantra came a few days ago, feelin smooth except when the blade came into contact w/ the detent ball, and the chalkiness would kick in. A lil nano oil on the detent ball, plus some good ole ocd flicky flicky, and she's smooth as silk now.
Adding good ole ocd flicky flicky is an important step. I forgot to mention that part. Hahaha
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Definitely can't neglect the ocd flicky flicky! Although my wife would beg to differ.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Mine are really great slicers. The M4 is holding a great edge.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I finally got to try one out in a B&M. Being a lefty who likes one-hand closing as well as opening, I wanted to see if the lock bar could be operated with left index finger tip like RIL and liner lock millies, etc, and found that it was too stiff for me to do it. Other than that and the fact that it's not a bigger knife, I liked it and found that my fingers were not crowded by the flipper tab. Since I'm also trying to economize for an upcoming sprint & an exclusive, I didn''t buy the Mantra.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Art_vandeley

Post by Art_vandeley »

I got my Mantra 2 today, and I`m loving it. It really feels like a premium Delica which is a great thing. Mine is very smooth and the detent is just right. I`ll enjoy this for a long time.
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Both the mantra and Mantra2 are FFG. So wouldn't it mean since the blade widths are different (and same thickness) that one (Mantra) will be thinner behind the edge and Mantra2 a little beefier behind the edge?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

pdptrow wrote:Both the mantra and Mantra2 are FFG. So wouldn't it mean since the blade widths are different (and same thickness) that one (Mantra) will be thinner behind the edge and Mantra2 a little beefier behind the edge?
You're assuming that the primary grind angles are the same. I doubt that. The narrower Mantra 2 is probably ground at a steeper angle. However, you're probably right that the Mantra 2 is thicker behind the edge.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

None of both, love the combination Ti & M4 but the esthetics are not ok with me.