52100 Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: 52100 Military

Post by DougC-3 »

Personally, I was talking mainly about secure left handed closing with the comp lock. I agree it's faster if you do it in one step, but left handed the grip is not quite as secure for one step closing. I probably wouldn't do it over the water if I was in a boat ;-) so I often close comp locks in two steps, much like the millie. It's all fun. I'm glad this is our most serious problem to worry about :) and thanks for the videos.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Stop hacking this thread please.Everytime I see a new post my heart starts pumping and I expect some news about 52100 Millie which is one of my grails not linear lock vs comp lock.With all respect.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

"Hacking" this thread?? Ummmm.....OK. No more hacking.
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

elena86 wrote:Stop hacking this thread please.Everytime I see a new post my heart starts pumping and I expect some news about 52100 Millie which is one of my grails not linear lock vs comp lock.With all respect.
*Liner lock.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:SpyderNut you need to brush up on your compression lock skills! :p
Touché, Lol. And well said. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:Stop hacking this thread please.Everytime I see a new post my heart starts pumping and I expect some news about 52100 Millie which is one of my grails not linear lock vs comp lock.With all respect.
Yeah, I have email notifications set, so I've been getting blown up with emails lol. Partly my fault I know.

Back on topic, I wonder if these are production pics or just well put together photoshops? Wouldn't be hard to do.

And I know peel ply isn't everyone's favorite, but I gotta say I have grown to like it quite a lot since carrying my Yojimbo 2. They're gonna make a nice pair.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Could be Photoshop, I could do it in all of 3 minutes given I had the pattern they wanted to use on the scales.
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:
Yeah, I have email notifications set, so I've been getting blown up with emails lol. Partly my fault I know.

Back on topic, I wonder if these are production pics or just well put together photoshops? Wouldn't be hard to do.

And I know peel ply isn't everyone's favorite, but I gotta say I have grown to like it quite a lot since carrying my Yojimbo 2. They're gonna make a nice pair.
I would prefer a satin clip to match the rest of the hardware and blade.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Nah....black clip for me. I will switch it out for a low riding one either way, I will even send off the screws to be cerekoted in black. All I wear are black jeans and black pants, so for concealment purposes....black has to be the way to go. I'm actually sending a clip for one of my Sebenzas out to be cerekoted in black to help conceal it.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

You can very easily get a satin clip and put one on there. Problem with the aftermarket low riding clips is that they can put pressure up top and interfere with the way the blade opens and closes...that's when I will use a tiny tiny drop of RED loctite so I don't have to apply much pressure to the clip screws.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's anyone's guess what clip it'll come with. But, that could also be a sign that this pic is the real thing. Can anyone confirm which clip the other peel ply Military's came with? If the previous peel ply versions came with black clips then that could be just a photoshop, but if they came with satin clips I don't think they would go through the trouble of editing a black clip on for nothing.
~David
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I, for one, hope we get a black clip. They've been shiny on the last few.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:It's anyone's guess what clip it'll come with. But, that could also be a sign that this pic is the real thing. Can anyone confirm which clip the other peel ply Military's came with? If the previous peel ply versions came with black clips then that could be just a photoshop, but if they came with satin clips I don't think they would go through the trouble of editing a black clip on for nothing.
My only Golden peel-ply CF knife is the S90V Manix 2 XL, and it came with a shiny stainless steel clip. If I were a betting man I'd give 60-40 odds that that's what the 52100 will come with.

I recently ordered a black millie clip from SFO and they sent a flat-black one, which is OK with me, but the only black clips I'd previously seen for millies and PMs were glossy paint.

I may well just leave whatever clip they send on there.

Elena, Knife Center says "Expected April/May 2016" for whatever that's worth (you probably have already seen this). Sorry about over exercising your adrenal glands with all the small talk :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:
Evil D wrote:It's anyone's guess what clip it'll come with. But, that could also be a sign that this pic is the real thing. Can anyone confirm which clip the other peel ply Military's came with? If the previous peel ply versions came with black clips then that could be just a photoshop, but if they came with satin clips I don't think they would go through the trouble of editing a black clip on for nothing.
My only Golden peel-ply CF knife is the S90V Manix 2 XL, and it came with a shiny stainless steel clip. If I were a betting man I'd give 60-40 odds that that's what the 52100 will come with.

I recently ordered a black millie clip from SFO and they sent a flat-black one, which is OK with me, but the only black clips I'd previously seen for millies and PMs were glossy paint.

Elena, Knife Center says "Expected April/May 2016" for whatever that's worth (you probably have already seen this). Sorry about over exercising your adrenal glands with all the small talk :)

Flat black huh? Can you post a pic of that? I don't recall ever seeing a flat black clip from Spyderco? They all have some gloss to them.

Whichever it comes with, I'll eventually swap it out with an acid etched clip anyway. I just like how this one has aged.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I agree David.
Personally I absolutely love the peel ply on my Gayle Bradley. And a Satin clip would be perfection imo.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Evil D wrote: Whichever it comes with, I'll eventually swap it out with an acid etched clip anyway. I just like how this one has aged.

Ew, so dirty and raw looking. I dig it. :D :cool:

MacLaren wrote:I agree David.
Personally I absolutely love the peel ply on my Gayle Bradley. And a Satin clip would be perfection imo.

Gayle Bradley carbon will be quite different than what will be on these Golden models. If you have, or have handled, the Yojimbo 2 S90V for example, this Military Sprint should resemble that. The weave is not quite as apparent and much more low key, and with a G10 like peel ply grip texture.
Going back to Caly.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:
DougC-3 wrote: I recently ordered a black millie clip from SFO and they sent a flat-black one, which is OK with me, but the only black clips I'd previously seen for millies and PMs were glossy paint.

Flat black huh? Can you post a pic of that? I don't recall ever seeing a flat black clip from Spyderco? They all have some gloss to them.
I'd never seen a flat black one either. They only charged me $6.95 for this. I was expecting more like $15.00.

For comparison:

Maybe it got through quality control without its final coat? Either way I like it OK. By the way, that acid etching looks interesting. I'd like to try it sometime.
mattman

Post by mattman »

That looks like a DLC clip...?

Edit: ... Especially with the black hardware included.
Last edited by mattman on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

I was thinking dlc too. Looks awesome
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Ew, so dirty and raw looking. I dig it. :D :cool:
Now that I look at that pic, that might be a little rust started up around the screws. I'll have to look into that. But, the rest just looks like a much more random and natural version of stonewash.

DougC-3 wrote: Image

Daaaaaang, I like that clip finish. I REALLY hope that's a sign of things to come. I like some knives with the shiny black (Vallotton) but for most of my EDC's I'd take a DLC clip all day everyday (well, second maybe to my acid etched clip).
~David