52100 Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Re: 52100 Military

Post by tvenuto »

Donut wrote:
tvenuto wrote:Smart phone + bathroom break. I've bought more than one knife this way when a computer wasn't available.
Yeah, but were you with a client? :)
I plead the 5th!
Donut

Post by Donut »

tvenuto wrote:
Donut wrote:
tvenuto wrote:Smart phone + bathroom break. I've bought more than one knife this way when a computer wasn't available.
I plead the 5th!
LOL :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I got two 52100s on order, if I don't like them as much as I THINK I'm going to....than I will sell one for a Cruwear. I'm hearing lots of nice things about this steel.
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Donut wrote:
tvenuto wrote:
Donut wrote:
I plead the 5th!
LOL :)
The 5th client? :eek:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Pre-order_zpsbd402f08.jpg
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I want some 52100 but I never carry the Military I have. Love the knife but just never carry it. Barefoot and board shorts is more suited to IWB carry and I just don't like carrying that big ole tip down knife down the front of my britches. :eek: If I were up in the US wearing jeans every day it would be a totally different story. Anyway, I digress. I hope it is a smashing success and we get to see the steel used in other models!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Wow D, you need to eat something, your going to need your strength for all that flicking goodness ;)

I'm hoping we have another month or two before they drop (ducks for cover), should give me enough time to get my wallet off life support.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sort of on subject, I have recently been questioning my stance on the whole tip up/down thing in regard to large folders like the Military. I realized that my Ulize shipped with the clip in tip up orientation, and I have never changed it and it has never once bothered me. With the Military in particular, I really hate how the thumb ramp jimping scratches my hand when going into that pocket. I may look into some tip up clip mods in the future. I have a really good idea on how to mount one, but I'm going to need to sacrifice another Spydie liner to do so, so I need to shop around for some broken knives or maybe a used beater Tenacious or something.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:Wow D, you need to eat something, your going to need your strength for all that flicking goodness ;)

I'm hoping we have another month or two before they drop (ducks for cover), should give me enough time to get my wallet off life support.

I'd almost be willing to buy one for you or loan you the cash before I wait another 2 months :eek:
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Wow D, you need to eat something, your going to need your strength for all that flicking goodness ;)

I'd almost be willing to buy one for you or loan you the cash before I wait another 2 months :eek:
I'll keep that in mind :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I am sick of waiting...why can't they give us a better ETA? I cancelled my S110V order for another 52100. I travel a lot, and want one with me always. I'm curios if I will be more impressed with the S110V though...
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I really like tip-up carry too, and the length of the knife wouldn't be a problem for me at all with tip-up carry. I've thought of a few ways to mount a clip too... but since I'm left handed, the knife is extremely comfortable in hand with the clip mounted the way it is, the blade faces the back of my pocket, which is safer (than tip down right handed), and I really like the aesthetics of the knife the way it is and would hate to mess it up. Also, one of the main reasons I would have for mounting another clip would be for deep carry, and I've found that most bent metal deep-carry clips are a lot less comfortable in my palm than the stock clips (except wire clips). I really don't have any trouble with one hand deployment and closing the way it is, so I've sort of lost my motivation for moving the clip.

The money thing is a different story. I don't know whether to hope for it to come later in case I have more money then or come now before what I have is gone :confused: :p
Last edited by DougC-3 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

dupe post
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DrtyHarry wrote:I am sick of waiting...why can't they give us a better ETA? I cancelled my S110V order for another 52100. I travel a lot, and want one with me always. I'm curios if I will be more impressed with the S110V though...

The two steels probably couldn't be more different. I think you're basically looking at one steel (S110V) that can hold a working edge for an extreme amount of time vs a steel (52100) that will hold a very thin very sharp edge for longer than the other steel. You won't see the same edge retention out of 52100, but if you like very fine edges and like a steel that will hold that very fine edge for longer, then 52100 is it and it will also be much easier to sharpen than S110V. It will also most likely be a tougher steel, though I can't really say as I don't have experience with it in that regard and I have found S110V to be far tougher than people make it out to be.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree, they are really at different ends of the spectrum. S110V will hold a working edge for a long time and is a bear to sharpen. The 52100 should be easy to sharpen and should take a very sharp edge very easily but it's edge retention should be nothing compared to S110V. The 52100 should also be stable enough to handle very thin edges depending on how hard it is run. I have a 52100 mule but I think I read that this is gonna be run a little harder than that. At least I hope so. It may perform similar to Super Blue but we won't know till we see it. It will be a sweet field knife for me and if I can afford to make it happen it will be a good backpacking companion.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
2011BLDR

Post by 2011BLDR »

I think we are within 30 days of this being released, BBS started taking prepayment in full last week on their web sight (at MSRP) this is an indication that they expect stock within 30 days.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:I want some 52100 but I never carry the Military I have. Love the knife but just never carry it. Barefoot and board shorts is more suited to IWB carry and I just don't like carrying that big ole tip down knife down the front of my britches. :eek: If I were up in the US wearing jeans every day it would be a totally different story. Anyway, I digress. I hope it is a smashing success and we get to see the steel used in other models!
Same here.I am very interested in 52100 steel but the Military platform is quite big for my daily carry.I allready own a Millie in Cruwear and one in S90V and it's more than I need for now.But I would be very happy if they release a 52100 Para2-3
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Evil D wrote:Image

Next time I see a kardashian in the paper talking about her great new 52100 diet, then I know who to blame :p :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

Brock O Lee wrote:
ImageX wrote:This is all bad. I never cared for or collected knives my entire life(42) and didn't know what a "Millie" was until a couple weeks ago. Now, I bought a black S30v PM2, Camo PM2, have preorders in for this 52100, a 110v PM2, and have intentions to acquire a M4 PM2 and M390 PM2. The people here are sick and infecting others.
It gets easier to say no after you have a range of sizes, steels, locks, handle materials, blade shapes, sprint runs etc covered. Until then you are pretty much tumbling down the rabbit hole while screaming like a girl.

I hear that. It's an addictive and expensive hobby. Fun though and lots of facets of it to admire and collect. Since posting that above, I've purchased a Tenacious, Resilience, and Gayle Bradley 2. Also a Buck 110, Opinel #9, Rat 1, Victorinox Classic, and a Higo no Kami. Then a Sharpmaker, Knives Plus strop, and a Spyderpac. I'm definitely still tumbling!

Just a FYI to all but Spyderco told me June/July ETA on the 52100. Hope everyone who ordered gets one!