52100 Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akaAK

Re: 52100 Military

Post by akaAK »

Correct me if I'm wrong (most likely) but my understanding was that the factory making the Caly ZDP blades wasn't able to flat grind ZDP in production but was able to handle a cladded blade. I thought I had read that here somewhere but can't find it.
I was never a fan of non-stainless blades but have come to appreciate them more and more. Cladding has never been an issue to me and I actually find it beneficial.

Agree that it was a surprise on the millie but happy to see the official confirmation.

Aside from patina (looks) can someone let me in on the hate for cladding?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

akaAK wrote: Aside from patina (looks) can someone let me in on the hate for cladding?

Can of worms status: opened. :p
Going back to Caly.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Sorry, honest question. Waited for the official confirmation before I derailed the thread at least. Lol.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

akaAK wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (most likely) but my understanding was that the factory making the Caly ZDP blades wasn't able to flat grind ZDP in production but was able to handle a cladded blade. I thought I had read that here somewhere but can't find it.
I was never a fan of non-stainless blades but have come to appreciate them more and more. Cladding has never been an issue to me and I actually find it beneficial.

Agree that it was a surprise on the millie but happy to see the official confirmation.

Aside from patina (looks) can someone let me in on the hate for cladding?
Ya know, on my Caly 3 it's not so bad. It does have a sort of high tech feel to it that fits the carbon fiber handle. I'd still prefer a solid blade though.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Whew! Had me worried, there. Not a fan of cladding.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think the issue is mostly aesthetic. Some people like to develop the patina, some don't like uneven lamination lines and some don't like how easily the usually softer cladding scratches. Functionally there is little difference. I don't care much either way, it's the edge that does most the work. If anything the cladding may add a little corrosion resistance and possibly some differential hardening depending on what steels are used. I would love to know more about this differential hardening and if it is a real benefit in a pocket knife. There has to be some benefit on the manufacturing side. When grinding a blade from clad steel you are grinding away mostly the easier to grind cladding. It seems like there are more benefits than drawbacks to me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

akaAK wrote:Sorry, honest question. Waited for the official confirmation before I derailed the thread at least. Lol.
It is an honest question indeed. No worries.
I feel it is a topic very much open to personal opinion, like so many things, and there are no "right" answers IMHO. Personally I am happy that the upcoming 52100 Military is NOT a cladded blade, as I would not buy one if it were, but my "reasons" for that don't make a heck of a lot of sense......even to me!! It is only personal preference. I have owned a few forged 52100 blades and love them. I also like a nice patina that gives my carbon steel blades some "character", again just a personal thing.
And sure enough, it can be a "can of worms" for sure. Kind of like what goes better with a beer, chips or pretzels? :D
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Double post.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

What the issue? If you look at the bottom of page 91 of the catalog it says Steel: 52100. Nothing about clad or composite or whatever.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Philo Beddoe wrote:What the issue? If you look at the bottom of page 91 of the catalog it says Steel: 52100. Nothing about clad or composite or whatever.

No issue.
Some confusion over what appeared to be a lamination line on the catalog photo.
Going back to Caly.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Philo Beddoe wrote:What the issue? If you look at the bottom of page 91 of the catalog it says Steel: 52100. Nothing about clad or composite or whatever.
The picture was evidently wrong so why couldn't it have been the print that was actually wrong? Nice play monday morning quarterback. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

whew. No cladding on the 52100 Millie.

sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

sal wrote:whew. No cladding on the 52100 Millie.

sal
;) :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal
I'm sure the suspense was killing you right? :D
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Hoping i can get one of these especially since it's not clad.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Sweet!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

sal
LOL Yeah, me too.
Things got pretty intense for awhile. Thankfully my pre-order is safely intact. :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Hahaha. :D
Going back to Caly.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

;) I am glad Sal is relieved. I know he was worried about it.

I am glad the 52100 is not clad. That does not mean I do not like cladded blades, because I do. I love the tech behind it. I bought the Caly 3 specifically because it was a laminate blade. I love that blade. But, the 52100, call me old fashioned, but I prefer it not be laminated. This is, of course, all subjective.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
palonej

Post by palonej »

El Gato wrote:
akaAK wrote:Sorry, honest question. Waited for the official confirmation before I derailed the thread at least. Lol.
It is an honest question indeed. No worries.
I feel it is a topic very much open to personal opinion, like so many things, and there are no "right" answers IMHO. Personally I am happy that the upcoming 52100 Military is NOT a cladded blade, as I would not buy one if it were, but my "reasons" for that don't make a heck of a lot of sense......even to me!! It is only personal preference. I have owned a few forged 52100 blades and love them. I also like a nice patina that gives my carbon steel blades some "character", again just a personal thing.
And sure enough, it can be a "can of worms" for sure. Kind of like what goes better with a beer, chips or pretzels? :D
El Gato has his priorities straight!!! OF COURSE PRETZELS!!!!
:D