52100 Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: 52100 Military

Post by Evil D »

awa54 wrote:
Bodog wrote:If done right 52100 will make some eyes pop open. I have no idea what Spyderco will do as far as its heat treatment is concerned. Multiple cycles for grain refinement? Fast quenching? Cryo? Probably not. It'll be a solid performer though, no doubt.
on this topic, does the pic in the 2016 catalog look like the blade is sporting a differential HT to you? there is no mention of the blade being a laminate construction...
I believe it was Kristi who chimed in and confirmed that these will be SOLID 52100 blades, not laminate. In another thread a bunch of us were fearing for the worst and she came in and saved us from losing sleep over it :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:
awa54 wrote:
Bodog wrote:If done right 52100 will make some eyes pop open. I have no idea what Spyderco will do as far as its heat treatment is concerned. Multiple cycles for grain refinement? Fast quenching? Cryo? Probably not. It'll be a solid performer though, no doubt.
on this topic, does the pic in the 2016 catalog look like the blade is sporting a differential HT to you? there is no mention of the blade being a laminate construction...
I believe it was Kristi who chimed in and confirmed that these will be SOLID 52100 blades, not laminate. In another thread a bunch of us were fearing for the worst and she came in and saved us from losing sleep over it :D
I remember that thread David....man this military is going to be so totally awesome, I cant wait :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I seem to recall reading that the catalog picture depicting a lamination line was not accurate.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:
Evil D wrote:
awa54 wrote:
I remember that thread David....man this military is going to be so totally awesome, I cant wait :D
No doubt. I've spent most of the day reprofiling a Svord Peasant and playing with the patina trying to hold myself over. April/May is a long time from now even if it does show up on time. Heck I'm excited just to have a PE Military again lol.
~David
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Spydergirl88 wrote:I seem to recall reading that the catalog picture depicting a lamination line was not accurate.
Thats correct
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

So the 52100 Military will be a nicer blade than the S110V? Would someone mind explaining the pros and cons? I have been waiting for the S110V Millie to come out for a while, I just now read about this 52100. Why would I rather get the 52100 over the S110V? Is the 52100 a sprint run? Pros and cons between the two? I have the S110V PM2 and I totally LOVE it....why will I like the 52100 model better? THANKS!!
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DrtyHarry wrote:So the 52100 Military will be a nicer blade than the S110V? Would someone mind explaining the pros and cons? I have been waiting for the S110V Millie to come out for a while, I just now read about this 52100. Why would I rather get the 52100 over the S110V? Is the 52100 a sprint run? Pros and cons between the two? I have the S110V PM2 and I totally LOVE it....why will I like the 52100 model better? THANKS!!

If you are loving your S110V PM2 as you mention, then just get the S110V Military as well! :)
As you already know, it has incredible edge retention and stainless properties.

If you enjoy the process of sharpening, fine edges, and uniqueness of watching a patina and some rust develop, then go for the 52100.

We cannot really tell you what you would rather have. That's something you have to tell us! And nobody said one will be nicer than the other. They are just options and alternatives. :D

And yes, the 52100 is a Sprint Run, as shown in the 2015 Catalog.

By the way, you aren't supposed to be using your signature line to sell items. Buying and selling is against the forum rules here.
Going back to Caly.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

My bad....I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up...I'll take it down. Besides, sold it anyway.

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DrtyHarry wrote:So the 52100 Military will be a nicer blade than the S110V? Would someone mind explaining the pros and cons? I have been waiting for the S110V Millie to come out for a while, I just now read about this 52100. Why would I rather get the 52100 over the S110V? Is the 52100 a sprint run? Pros and cons between the two? I have the S110V PM2 and I totally LOVE it....why will I like the 52100 model better? THANKS!!
They're kind of on opposite ends of the steel spectrum, so they're going to behave very different from each other. That's not bad, and as Sal has said "all good, just different".

Saying one is better than the other will be completely subjective. However, depending on the intended use and what you what the steel to do really well, you will definitely like one more than the other.

I'm not up to par with some of the steel nuts around here, but my basic understanding is something like this:

S110V = What you want if you want your knife to hold a working edge practically forever. The initial high sharpness will fairly quickly settle into a working edge that seems to last almost indefinitely depending on what you cut. Stainless steel with excellent corrosion resistance.

52100 = Able to achieve a higher initial sharpness due to being able to take a thinner, finer, higher polish edge. That high level of sharpness will last longer than S110V, but won't have the long lasting edge retention of S110V. Very poor corrosion resistance since it isn't a carbon steel. It will definitely rust if given the chance, but if you like the look of a patina, these kinds of steels are a lot of fun to play with.

Personally, I will likely own both in the long run, but I'm buying the 52100 first because it's a sprint run and the S110V will be standard production, and so the window of opportunity won't be open forever for the 52100. S110V is (so far) my favorite steel, but I do also really like simple carbon steels so I'm really excited about 52100.

Now, admittedly, I know very little about 52100 so if any of that is wrong or anyone wants to add to it, be my guest as I'd like to hear more myself. I've read most of the threads I can find on it already.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
They're kind of on opposite ends of the steel spectrum, so they're going to behave very different from each other. That's not bad, and as Sal has said "all good, just different".

Saying one is better than the other will be completely subjective. However, depending on the intended use and what you what the steel to do really well, you will definitely like one more than the other.

I'm not up to par with some of the steel nuts around here, but my basic understanding is something like this:

S110V = What you want if you want your knife to hold a working edge practically forever. The initial high sharpness will fairly quickly settle into a working edge that seems to last almost indefinitely depending on what you cut. Stainless steel with excellent corrosion resistance.

52100 = Able to achieve a higher initial sharpness due to being able to take a thinner, finer, higher polish edge. That high level of sharpness won't last anywhere close to how long S110V will, but in turn it will also be much easier to sharpen by comparison. Very poor corrosion resistance since it isn't a carbon steel. It will definitely rust if given the chance, but if you like the look of a patina, these kinds of steels are a lot of fun to play with.

Personally, I will likely own both in the long run, but I'm buying the 52100 first because it's a sprint run and the S110V will be standard production, and so the window of opportunity won't be open forever for the 52100. S110V is (so far) my favorite steel, but I do also really like simple carbon steels so I'm really excited about 52100.

Now, admittedly, I know very little about 52100 so if any of that is wrong or anyone wants to add to it, be my guest as I'd like to hear more myself. I've read most of the threads I can find on it already.
Hey Dave, I think most of that is a pretty fair assessment. I'm not so sure about that highlighted bit though. I haven't used 52100 either but based on what little I know of the steel I think it will likely hold a high level of sharpness as long as, if not longer than, s110v. Of course that depends on angle and grit and what's being cut. Most importantly it depends on where we draw the line on what is considered "high level sharpness".
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

52100 = Able to achieve a higher initial sharpness due to being able to take a thinner, finer, higher polish edge. That high level of sharpness won't last anywhere close to how long S110V will, but in turn it will also be much easier to sharpen by comparison. Very poor corrosion resistance since it isn't a carbon steel. It will definitely rust if given the chance, but if you like the look of a patina, these kinds of steels are a lot of fun to play with.

Hey Dave, I think most of that is a pretty fair assessment. I'm not so sure about that highlighted bit though. I haven't used 52100 either but based on what little I know of the steel I think it will likely hold a high level of sharpness as long as, if not longer than, s110v. Of course that depends on angle and grit and what's being cut. Most importantly it depends on where we draw the line on what is considered "high level sharpness".
You're completely right, I worded that backwards. I meant to say the working edge wouldn't last as long :o
~David
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Well....got a 52100 on order, I hope I get one and that they have not all been spoken for. I can't pay for both at the same time....so I will have to wait a bit longer to order the S110V. But....hopefully they will be easy to get a hold of once released since they are production and not sprint. I never had a sprint run production. The Millie is the knife that got me hooked on to other Spidercos. Well...to be honest, the only ones I like are the Millie and the PM2 for the most part. There are 2 or 3 other models that I like....but I don't think I will like anything more than the Millie. Fits like a glove and I can operate with that thing. lol
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Not to go too far off track.....but what do y'all think of a Nilakka in 52100 with a Zero Grind?
Been carrying my Nilakka this week and man is she a wicked cutter/slicer!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:Not to go too far off track.....but what do y'all think of a Nilakka in 52100 with a Zero Grind?
If I had to pick, I'd honestly rather have this in a Nilakka. The potential is just ridiculous.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Not to go too far off track.....but what do y'all think of a Nilakka in 52100 with a Zero Grind?
If I had to pick, I'd honestly rather have this in a Nilakka. The potential is just ridiculous.
Cool....
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Funny you should mention the Nilakka Paul, if you remember, you are the one who finally convinced me to pick one up and its still to this day one of my favorite :spyder:'s of them all. I would be all over a 52100 Nilakka like a fat kid on a chocolate bar :D I think 52100 would be the perfect blade steel for this knife.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I mean, don't get me wrong I love the Military and I love this combo, but if you're gonna bring out a steel that's reputed as being able to handle very thin edges and live to tell the tale, why not put it in a model that was designed around a very thin edge? Sure I could go out and have my Military reground thinner, but the blade stock being 4.5mm is part of what makes the zero grind feasible. The Military is still a great slicer, but it's just not on par with a Nilakka when it comes to thin edges and slicing ability.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

farnorthdan wrote:
Funny you should mention the Nilakka Paul, if you remember, you are the one who finally convinced me to pick one up and its still to this day one of my favorite :spyder:'s of them all. I would be all over a 52100 Nilakka like a fat kid on a chocolate bar :D I think 52100 would be the perfect blade steel for this knife.
Awesome Dan :)
I agree 100% with you and David. It would be awesome.
The Nilakka, is certainly one of my faves.....top 3 for sure.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I hear ya David. Can't wait to get the Millie in 52100, but a Nilakka would be insane.....
dcfis

Post by dcfis »

I would love to try this steel in a bit smaller knife but that doesnt seem like its going to happen