New Spyderco: The WolfSpyder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PM1

New Spyderco: The WolfSpyder

Post by PM1 »

Spyderco just announced a new knife: The WolfSpyder!

It is a Scandi-ground, compression lock folder in green G10 with S30V steel. The WolfSpyder is made in Golden. The blade is 2.98" and 3.2mm thick. Carry is right-side tip-up only. The weight is 2.7 oz. The WolfSpyder is on page 71 of the new catalog. :spyder:
PM1

Re: New Spyderco: The WolfSpyder

Post by PM1 »

I just noticed something that is a bit unusual. Apparently, The WolfSpyder is an exclusive for the designer's website. The designer is Ray Mears. The WolfSpyder will be distributed exclusively by raymears.com. That is different.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

This one looks like a must have, digging that compression lock a whole lot, also like the scandi grind and the green g-10.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

One clip position with an hourglass clip?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

That handle is too weird for my taste
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Weird and fascinating, very Spyderco.. ;)
More compression locks are a good start.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can't wait anyone know the price
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Is it a true scandi grind? The double beveled "modified scandi" grind just never really did it for me.

It looks cool though--a bushcraft folder.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Interesting design choices... If I compare this to the very good and popular Spyderco Bushcraft, it does not share too many features other than the "scandi" grind.

The flat slab handle and S30V seem at odds with "bushcraft", where you want super comfortable ergos and easy to sharpen high edge stability steel IMO. The compression lock is strong enough, but I know from experience with the PM2 that the compression lock cut-out quickly becomes a hot-spot during heavy cuts.

I will have to handle one in real life to form a more informed opinion regarding its suitability as a bushcraft knife, but unfortunately on paper this looks like a pass.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I'll get one, if for no other reason than that it is made in Golden.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

If it's fairly priced, I'll get one. Otherwise, I'll pass. I dig the green, though.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Looks like a bushcraft version of the Lil Temp to me. I like it! I'm most likely in for one if it's not crazy expensive.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Huge fan of this one too, i love the scandi grind and the compression lock!
-Nick :bug-red
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I like the idea of this knife but i worry about S30V for Bushcraft. I think I'll wait until some folks put up a review after some hard use.

JD
JT

Post by JT »

The handle does not look comfortable, and it´s RH only, so no go for me. Interesting concept though.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'm no steel snob, but I don't think S30V fits this knife either...

But, other than the steel and the right side occluded Spydiehole (thumb flicking only), I do like what I am seeing with the rest of this. Glad to see a return of that color G10! Hopefully this is a hint toward the Lil' Temp 2! :)

Maybe this will get some Spydie fans out to attend some survival classes! Sounds like a blast to me. :D
Going back to Caly.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I think this is pretty cool, Ray Mears and his team are experts in the bushcraft scene and the fact that they chose Spyderco to make their knife shows that they trust Spyderco to make it. Also it shows that Spyderco are once again collaborating with the top people in their field to produce the best tools.

As for s30v, I don't think it will be an issue with this knife. I would probably prefer a non stainless blade in a bushcrafting knife but I think s30v is probably the best choice. It's stainless, relatively easy to sharpen in the field, performs well and keeps the cost of the knife down.

Personally I won't be buying this one but I hope we see more knives with a Scandi grind and further collab's with Ray Mears and his team.

n.b. I'll be watching Ray's shows and hopefully he'll be using one soon :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm sold.

Ray Mears? Copression lock? Ray Mears? Golden? Ray Mears?

Looks like a great EDC and the universal awesomeness of S30v is apparently underrated.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm very interested. I look forward to more details on this knife. Does this knife have liners on both scales or just one? The cutout for the opening hole makes it look linerless. Also, if the catalog is correct this knife will only be sold through Ray Mears. That will mean many people in Canada struggling to get a hold of this one as getting knives shipped over the border can be a pain.
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Smaller sized, looks like it has partial liners, and very light weight (2.7 oz!) make the WolfSpyder seem like an excellent EDC. I have no interest or concerns about bushcrafting, but the WolfSpyder is growing on me.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe