Chaparral - Back Lock Mechanism

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Chaparral - Back Lock Mechanism

Post by this_is_nascar »

I thought that I've read where the back lock system in the Chaparral(s) is more robust that other back lock systems. If this is the case, can someone explain the details please? Also, if it's true, is it for all versions/models of the Chaparral?
El Gato

Re: Chaparral - Back Lock Mechanism

Post by El Gato »

I can comment on my two Chaparrals, one CF and one Titanium. The locking lug is made a bit longer than other lock backs I have owned, thereby making it stronger IMO and also helps to prevent any vertical blade play. The lock on both of my Chappies is perfectly fitted and solid, with absolutely NO blade play of any kind. It is just a very well designed lock that I feel increases the security of the lock up and is indeed a bit more robust than others I have seen. This is just one more reason why the Chaparral has become my favorite of all Spyderco models. The entire knife is well designed and put together like a fine custom. There is a lot to like in the Chap. I encourage you to try one for yourself. :)
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

El Gato wrote:I can comment on my two Chaparrals, one CF and one Titanium. The locking lug is made a bit longer than other lock backs I have owned, thereby making it stronger IMO and also helps to prevent any vertical blade play. The lock on both of my Chappies is perfectly fitted and solid, with absolutely NO blade play of any kind. It is just a very well designed lock that I feel increases the security of the lock up and is indeed a bit more robust than others I have seen. This is just one more reason why the Chaparral has become my favorite of all Spyderco models. The entire knife is well designed and put together like a fine custom. There is a lot to like in the Chap. I encourage you to try one for yourself. :)

Thanks. I do own one. It's one of my few remaining Spyderco knives or knives of any brand for that matter. By far, it's my favorite Spyderco knife. I love it and I have the CF version.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

The locking notch, and thereby the locking lug as well, measures .255" or just a tad over a quarter of an inch. I have not seen a locking notch/lug this substantial on anything I have previously owned. Depth of the locking notch is .125" or one eight of an inch.

You have the CF version Chap, so you know what a nice little knife they are. I am glad you are enjoying yours as much as I enjoy mine. :)
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Absolutely, I love it. Thanks for the responses.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The significant difference is that the Chaparral, like the Sage4, utilizes an internal stop pin. That is what makes the lockup so solid. I believe that all versions of the Chaparral have it but I only have the CF version so I cannot say for sure. The scales come off the Chaparral very easily and they don't hold the knife together. There are screws under the scales that do that. Pop your scales off if you want to know for sure.

Scroll down this thread for a pic. ;)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ical-play-(other-than-Tri-Ads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The significant difference is that the Chaparral, like the Sage4, utilizes an internal stop pin. That is what makes the lockup so solid. I believe that all versions of the Chaparral have it but I only have the CF version so I cannot say for sure. The scales come off the Chaparral very easily and they don't hold the knife together. There are screws under the scales that do that. Pop your scales off if you want to know for sure.

Scroll down this thread for a pic. ;)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ical-play-(other-than-Tri-Ads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Extremely helpful. Thanks.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

So custom scales for a Chappy shouldn't be to hard to have made.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:So custom scales for a Chappy shouldn't be to hard to have made.
Only "tricky" part is milling the hole in each scale for the lockbar pivot screw. Has to be deep enough to hold the screw head, without going all the way through the scale. A lot easier than milling for nested liners, but not as easy as scales for something like the Stretch 2.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
joe58

Post by joe58 »

Stupid question perhaps - IIRC, I read the Native 5 lockback mechanism as being reworked/improved. Is this design the same as on the Chap, or no? If no, explain the difference to me please just so I know. Curious about it. Tnx!
Holland

Post by Holland »

joe58 wrote:Stupid question perhaps - IIRC, I read the Native 5 lockback mechanism as being reworked/improved. Is this design the same as on the Chap, or no? If no, explain the difference to me please just so I know. Curious about it. Tnx!
The chaparral and sage 4 are normal lock backs with an internal stop pin added to eliminate blade play.

The N5 was was redesigned / re-engineered and doesn't have a stop pin
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

The Deacon wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:So custom scales for a Chappy shouldn't be to hard to have made.
Only "tricky" part is milling the hole in each scale for the lockbar pivot screw. Has to be deep enough to hold the screw head, without going all the way through the scale. A lot easier than milling for nested liners, but not as easy as scales for something like the Stretch 2.
Excellent, thanks.

Is there a Backspacer on the Chap like say a Delica?

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the back spacer is pinned in, but I may be thinking of another knife. I know it holds the spring for the lock.

On another note, Sal mentioned that he is trying to come out with a cheaper FRN Chaparral. How great that would be. I always fear I will lose my knife, somehow. If if were cheaper I would not worry so much about it. I love this knife for pocket carry.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Excellent, thanks.

Well, there's a backspacer, but it's steel, so more like a G-10 Delica than an FRN one.

It also looks like I missed a second hidden screw that you'd need to mill a recess for in the back of the scale, so a bit tricky, but I'd still rate it as easier than nested liners. The only screws visible are the pivot and clip screws, but when you take them out and remove the scales, the lockbar pivot screw and a second screw retaining the backspacer come into view.

Take a good look at the photos in the BF thread bearfacedkiller linked to and compare them to a photo of an assembled CF Chaparral and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

joe58 wrote:Stupid question perhaps - IIRC, I read the Native 5 lockback mechanism as being reworked/improved. Is this design the same as on the Chap, or no? If no, explain the difference to me please just so I know. Curious about it. Tnx!
They are different. The Native5 does not use a stop pin. The Native5's lock is designed slightly different. If you look at comparison pics you can see the difference pretty easily. The improvement to the Native5 is partly a redesigned lock interface and partly just very, very tight manufacturing tolerances. At least that is the impression I have got from other threads. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

The Deacon wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Excellent, thanks.

Well, there's a backspacer, but it's steel, so more like a G-10 Delica than an FRN one.

It also looks like I missed a second hidden screw that you'd need to mill a recess for in the back of the scale, so a bit tricky, but I'd still rate it as easier than nested liners. The only screws visible are the pivot and clip screws, but when you take them out and remove the scales, the lockbar pivot screw and a second screw retaining the backspacer come into view.

Take a good look at the photos in the BF thread bearfacedkiller linked to and compare them to a photo of an assembled CF Chaparral and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Thanks for the clarification.