Buying seconds from the SFO? Only in person?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
joe58

Buying seconds from the SFO? Only in person?

Post by joe58 »

Ok, sorry for the dumb question but I've weak search powers.

To purchase seconds from the SFO is that only in person?

I'd really like to get another forum Native 5 in a second as a spare and not pay the auction guys prices, but I'm guessing that ship has long sailed.

I know they've a FB site, but I'm not on there, or plan to be.

Thanks!
SpyderNut

Re: Buying seconds from the SFO? Only in person?

Post by SpyderNut »

No worries, Joe. The Spyderco seconds sale is for in-person only, unfortunately. (There was a thread topic on that very issue not too far back). At any rate, some kind-hearted folks located near the Golden area will purchase knives for you if you can't be present.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Yes, seconds can only be purchased in person at the SFO and only during their Factory Seconds Sale, which is only one day every year or every other year. Since the sale just happened a few days ago, there likely won't be another sale for a year or two.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As a general rule Spyderco only sells seconds "in person" at the factory seconds sale. The exception is when there's a quantity of a specific knife that have issues, as was the case with the Bushcraft and several of the Mules, then they are put up on the website, announced here and other places where Spyderco has an internet presence, and sold via SFO online.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Everything is sold as is and some can be a little rough so they want you to be there to inspect in person. They will be all over Ebay and BF pretty soon if you really want a second.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
joe58

Post by joe58 »

That's what I was thinking how it worked. Thanks for the replies!!
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Oops wrong thread :o
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Everything is sold as is and some can be a little rough so they want you to be there to inspect in person. They will be all over Ebay and BF pretty soon if you really want a second.
I won't link to it but several already are on BF and the 'bay. Based on the items for sale, I actually met this seller in person and handed them a Schempp Bowie I didn't want. I don't have any issue with folks reselling seconds knives. The complainers will be the ones to wreck it for all of us. Time is money, these folks had to spend time there. Drive up to Golden, stand in line for hours, and then sort through knives for hours more. If someone makes a couple bucks this way I'm good with it**.

**As long as they are clearly marked as seconds.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
joe58

Post by joe58 »

I have no issues with seconds as long as it's clearly stated. The current forum Native I use is a second and I cannot see a thing wrong with it. Have no idea. Spyderco must have some stringent standards or something. I've seen other posts as well indicating that the second they purchased looked to be fine. Dunno.