Manix 2 - Handle Traction ???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Willamette

Manix 2 - Handle Traction ???

Post by Willamette »

In the interest of learning something new if something new can be learned.... Does Spyderco have a different term for its raised traction notches on the handles of a Manix or does it fully fall into the definition of jimping? It's seemingly unique to that knife (protrusions rather than cuts or notches) and where there is an industry specific term for every aspect of a knife's anatomy it seemed like it could (or should?) have a unique term for it. Or, is it just referenced as handle jimping?

Thanks

p.s., tried search but it kept error messaging with delays
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Taken directly from the Spyderco online catalog page for the Manix 2
The Jimping doesn't stop there. With full steel liners the scales have jimping that extends beyond the G-10 handle scales scalloping areas of the handle's perimeter. This one is not slipping out of your hand and works well with gloves on!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Re: Manix 2 - Handle Traction ???

Post by SpyderNut »

Paul summed it up pretty well. I suppose there are many different styles/variations of jimping out there so the term "jimping" may be more of a generic term to describe stippling, bumps, ridges, etc.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's just jimping. Just curious but what led you to believe that jimping is only on the thumb ramp and/or choil?
Willamette

Re:

Post by Willamette »

The Deacon wrote:Taken directly from the Spyderco online catalog page for the Manix 2
The Jimping doesn't stop there. With full steel liners the scales have jimping that extends beyond the G-10 handle scales scalloping areas of the handle's perimeter. This one is not slipping out of your hand and works well with gloves on!
Thank you. I see they use scalloping as sort of a modifier, but clearly still define it as jimping.
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

SpyderNut wrote:Paul summed it up pretty well. I suppose there are many different styles/variations of jimping out there so the term "jimping" may be more of a generic term to describe stippling, bumps, ridges, etc.
I believe that's where this is headed. Perhaps I am seeking a narrower definition than exists in this case. Jimping it is! Lol
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Willamette wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Paul summed it up pretty well. I suppose there are many different styles/variations of jimping out there so the term "jimping" may be more of a generic term to describe stippling, bumps, ridges, etc.
I believe that's where this is headed. Perhaps I am seeking a narrower definition than exists in this case. Jimping it is! Lol
;) No worries. My auto-correct always tries to correct "jimping" to "jumping." :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

Evil D wrote:It's just jimping. Just curious but what led you to believe that jimping is only on the thumb ramp and/or choil?
Thanks EvilD

Primarily, the definitions I could find for jimping were mostly based on what appears to be traditional embellishments to the spine and bolster areas of a knife as a series of notches (cuts) to provide additional traction for fingers when gripping the knife. Some distinctive modifications of traditional practice may result in a refined definition of a broader term. It was my interpretation the Manix handle might be wholly unique as to the amount of "jimping" used and its placement and thus may be defined differently to reflect this change. It's quite possible I am just blind to other knife makers using this style of jimping on a handle prior to Eric's use of it.