2015 Second Sale Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

2015 Second Sale Report

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Well, I'm back.

It was a cold night, with a decent amount of snowfall in the first few hours of the night. Gail ordered us free pizza! Thanks Gail et al! :)

They let us into the atrium around 6:45 (IIRC), where we got water, coffee, and pastries. A Spyderco employee also went around giving out USB flash drives as trivia prizes. Thanks!

Like last year, I was in the first group in. I scored some nice pieces for myself and others on the Forum. Here's a quick look at some of my best finds/trades:

S110V, XHP, and composite PM2s (I only managed to come away with one of each)
fluted ti Native 5s
Hap 40 Endura
Firefly
Slysz Bowie ($60 !!)

I got a few of the knives that people wanted. Sadly, I failed to get everything on everybody's want list because a lot of them got snatched up right at the beginning.

Pics and more info coming later. :)
paladin

Re: 2015 Second Sale Report

Post by paladin »

Eli...I'm so excited right now!!!! :D :D :D

It's like Christmas stuffed into Thanksgiving baked inside my Birthday Cake...It's a Spyderco Turducken :eek: :confused: ;) :o :D :spyder:
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

It was a blast. Just got home with mine. I ended up getting most of what I wanted. The one notable part to me were there were no dragonflys or ladybugs to be had as far as I could see. Only saw two dragonflys, both zdp. one serrated, one without the tip. I grabbed the one without the tip.

I ended up getting:
-A CF caly 3
-A grey superblue caly 3
-A zdp Dragonfly with broken tip
-A CF Chaparral with broken tip
-An ATS 55 delica with broken tip
-A CF sage with broken tip
-3 dual-sided pocket stones
-1 UF bench stone

I opted for as many broken tip knives as I could find since they were so cheap and I have a bit of metalworking experience to redo the spine profile (Carbon fiber s30v sage for $5? yes please). I the ones I really wanted were the Caly 3, and am glad I got them. Had to pass over the forum native, a kiwi, and a bunch of other great knives to stay in budget. I cant find what is wrong with the caly 3s. The ones with chipped tips are pretty obvious.

I showed up at about 6:45, got to wait the whole time inside. Ended up winning a couple trivia items (flash drives), and generally had a blast. A lot of very nice people. I can't remember his name, but one guy I met was looking for some of the collectibles. I would point them out for him, and he ended up finding me the only CF caly 3 I saw all day. There were tons of 3.5s though. Overall lots of fun.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Nice, hoping to make it next year if there is a sale and flights are cheap.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

I showed up around the same time as last year (0530-0600), but was quite a bit closer in line. The weather was colder than last year and our hosts were nice enough to open the doors to the atrium around 0700. I wasn't in the first wave of 60, but wasn't far behind them and made it through the doors by 0815. Last year I was definitely in the second wave and don't think I made it in until well after opening.

The inventory was quite a bit different than last year. There were the ubiquitous made-in-house Militaries, Para-Militaries, Manixes, and Natives like last year. However, this year the S110V Manix was notable with about as many as the other FRN Manixes. Gone were the S110V Forum Natives and Cruwear Militaries from last year. It was difficult, but I stuck to my shopping list and took the following home.

$50 - Para-Miliary
$60 - UKPK Titanium
$55 - Manix S110V
$45 - Perrin Street Bowie (no sheath)
$1 - Spyderco belt sheath
$40 - Stretch
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

paladin

Post by paladin »

Check yer inbox Eli :)
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Nice score on that sb caly! Wish I could get my hands on one. Prices seem to of been amazing so far. Hope yall had fun and stayed warm. Like I said in the other thread, if anyone picked up some knives they didn't really want or need, keep me in mind lol.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

i am travvy wrote:Nice score on that sb caly! Wish I could get my hands on one. Prices seem to of been amazing so far. Hope yall had fun and stayed warm. Like I said in the other thread, if anyone picked up some knives they didn't really want or need, keep me in mind lol.
I'll let you know pending some responses from other people that had proxy requests.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Wow! Anyone take photos of the action? Just wondering what it all looks like in person.
Going back to Caly.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
i am travvy wrote:Nice score on that sb caly! Wish I could get my hands on one. Prices seem to of been amazing so far. Hope yall had fun and stayed warm. Like I said in the other thread, if anyone picked up some knives they didn't really want or need, keep me in mind lol.
I'll let you know pending some responses from other people that had proxy requests.
Thanks golden! I'll be keeping an ear out.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Thank you Eli
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Reporting in. It was great to meet some of you.

There were stupid amounts of standard PM2's, Yojimbos and Manix 2s. I was surprised to see a fair amount of the older HG 154CM Manixes mixed in. I didn't see a single manix sprint but saw one Cruwear in someone's hand and saw a few brown PM2s and one CS Orange/DLC PM2 in someone's hand.

A few CF yo2s, CF S90V Natives, CF ZDP Caly 3s and CF Dodos.

Saw only one or two Hungarias, Schempp Bowies, Rubicons, Foundrys, Ti Chaps, Mike Drapers and 1 Firefly

There were several Byrdrenches of all things. Tons of kitchen knives, tenacious-line, byrds, etc.

My personal haul included a HAP40 Endura, a beautiful Sage 4, Kahr Arms Delica, and a dog tag.

Thanks for the wonderful day Sal and Co and thanks to everyone I met for the fellowship.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Oh and I won't say who because it's not my place but it made my day getting to see a very special and real live dark blue FRN Native 5 S110V in a very lucky person's hands.
;) ;) ;)
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Any Cruwear Militaries there?

Any old ethnic series?

Stretch 2's?

Any HAP40 other than Endura?

Just wondering what may have been there that I can drool over in my imagination, lol :p
Going back to Caly.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

It was fun. I got to meet several people for the second time, and some for the first.

Sal, Eric, and Gail were there, of course. I got to chat with Sal for a while about all manner of things. I also got to handle the <<amazing>> Shaman prototype, straight out of Sal's pocket. It has absolutely fantastic ergos and I think it will be a big hit. I also got to see a vial of powdered CTS-XHP before it is fused to form blade steel.

I'll put in a full list and pictures of what I got tomorrow, but here's a few more of my favorites, in addition to the ones in the first post.

Roc
Native 5 lightweight black/ce
Caly 3.5 G10 (the discontinued VG10 one)
Superleaf
Junior
Kiwi 4

I found a Sage 4 for $5. It has a broken scale, but for $5, I'm willing to make a set of scales. I'm super stoked about the Hap 40 Endura and the fluted titanium Natives. Pics to follow, I promise. :D
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

SpeedHoles wrote:Any Cruwear Militaries there?

Yes, I tried to grab some for proxies, but I only saw them in other peoples' baskets.

Any old ethnic series?

I saw a Navaja.

Stretch 2's?

There were a couple. I had one for $100 in my basket, but I gave it to somebody that wanted it more.

No.

Just wondering what may have been there that I can drool over in my imagination, lol :p
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Any Cruwear Militaries there?

Yes, I tried to grab some for proxies, but I only saw them in other peoples' baskets.

Any old ethnic series?

I saw a Navaja.

Stretch 2's?

There were a couple. I had one for $100 in my basket, but I gave it to somebody that wanted it more.

No.

Ah gotcha.

The Roc sounds like a nice grab! As well as the G10 Caly and SuperLeaf!
Going back to Caly.
nathanours

Post by nathanours »

Here's what I left with:

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Well, I just got home. I had to work after the sale so I am pooped. I lost my mind a little and bought a few knives. I'll get a list and some pics later when I can think. I gotta work tomorrow too. :( The sale was a blast and I got most of what I was looking for and more. I also came up short on a lot of the knives I was looking to pick up for friends and forumites. It seemed like people really swooped up the hard to find knives fast. I got to talk to Sal for a while which is always great. GS is telling the truth about that Shaman. It is gonna be a hit for sure. It is a Native stretched out with a compression lock and the scales were contoured. Saweet! The powdered metal was cool too. Every time I meet Sal he has something cool in his pocket. I'll post more about the sale later when I get a chance.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks for all the updates! Glad to see everyone got some good deals....you guys definitely deserved them waiting in the cold! Enjoy your new Spydies :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb