Please more s90v so little options

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RangeRover

Re: Please more s90v so little options

Post by RangeRover »

I agree with you.

Looks like there are a lot of people not happy with the RIL TI LOCK-OUT !!

Apparently, many people knew at least 6 years ago that TITANIUM RIL LOCKS are a major "Lock-out sticking problem".

Titanium is softer and sticks on steel !!

So, on past knives (Spyderco Titanium Military RIL) they added a "steel insert on the RIL" to allow the knife to function smoothly.

Moderators are just trying to play down the problem.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... 8R-I-L-%29

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=67929
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

So you revived an 8 month old thread to post the exact same thing that you did in another thread? Seems like you just have an ax to grind...
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like the idea of more S90v, but we have a lot of S110v and S110v is close enough for me.

I really wouldn't mind a maroon Manix 2 with S90v, because the carbon fiber Manix 2 has always felt out of my price range.

Manix 2 Maroon FRN
Manix 2 Maroon G-10
Native 5 Maroon G-10

That would be pretty nice IMO.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:I like the idea of more S90v, but we have a lot of S110v and S110v is close enough for me.

Native 5 Maroon G-10

Maroon N5 will be nice, but I would like something different than S90V or S110V. I have already too many N5 with S110v/S90V. I really want N5 with XHP, CTS-B75P and AEB-L
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Donut

Post by Donut »

bh49 wrote:
Donut wrote:I like the idea of more S90v, but we have a lot of S110v and S110v is close enough for me.

Native 5 Maroon G-10

Maroon N5 will be nice, but I would like something different than S90V or S110V. I have already too many N5 with S110v/S90V. I really want N5 with XHP, CTS-B75P and AEB-L
How dare you! :p

XHP would be nice, but maybe a cutlery shoppe exclusive with orange G-10.

I have yet to try the other two, but am willing to try them with the Native platform.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

tvenuto wrote:So you revived an 8 month old thread to post the exact same thing that you did in another thread? Seems like you just have an ax to grind...
^This. He already has his very own thread about the subject. Does he really need to hijack another one? Trolls will be trolls. :rolleyes:
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

bh49 wrote:

Native 5 Maroon G-10

Cruwear Native 5 LW with Gray FRN please
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Ya know, S90V is pretty super, but with all the S110V floating around, 90 just seems a bit :p to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my forum Native 5 and my grey PM2 (20CP, but whatever, same thing!), but I think as far as ultra wear resistant stainless steels go, 110 kinda rules.

Though I do dig the burgundy color, and if that is to be paired with S90V in some sprints I'd be all for that!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

RangeRover wrote:I agree with you.

Apparently, many people knew at least 6 years ago that TITANIUM RIL LOCKS are a major "Lock-out sticking problem".

So, on past knives (Spyderco Titanium Military RIL) they added a "steel insert on the RIL" to allow the knife to function smoothly.

You're just trolling now, if you have an issue with a knife, contact the seller or the company for warranty work, that's why there's a warranty. It's fine to be upset, but you've had options to get this taken care of all along. I had a Sebenza 25 with issues, I got it fixed. Problem solved.

Also, you're completely wrong. The steel insert was added to prevent wear on flippers and knives with smaller lockbars. Flippers because of the excessive flipping creating more wear (and it's done harder than manually opening a knife). Smaller lockbars because there's less material. The Spyderco Southard does not have an insert and hasn't been known to have issues. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Cujobob wrote:
RangeRover wrote:I agree with you.

You're just trolling now, if you have an issue with a knife, contact the seller or the company for warranty work, that's why there's a warranty. It's fine to be upset, but you've had options to get this taken care of all along. I had a Sebenza 25 with issues, I got it fixed. Problem solved.

Also, you're completely wrong. The steel insert was added to prevent wear on flippers and knives with smaller lockbars. Flippers because of the excessive flipping creating more wear (and it's done harder than manually opening a knife). Smaller lockbars because there's less material. The Spyderco Southard does not have an insert and hasn't been known to have issues. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
To add to what Cujo is saying:
Spyderco Ti framelocks with no insert(from a quick BladeHQ search and visual observation of the pics): Southard, Myrtle, Tighe Stick, Chubby, K2, Techno, Slysz Bowie, SpydieChef, Tusk, Sage 2, Perrin PPT(I think), Leafstorm, Tuff, Volpe, Nirvana, Chokwe. Total number: 16
Spyderco Ti framelocks with insert: Domino, Dice, Mantra 1, Mantra 2, LionSpy, Lil' LionSpy, Advocate, Military Ti. Total number: 8, but really more like 5 since you could group the Mantras, Lionspys, and the Domino/Dice together(and say design-wise you have 5 pro-insert choices that resulted in 8 knives).
Someone please correct my lists if I have made an error.
So Spyderco, one of the most highly-regarded production knife companies puts the insert on 2 to 3 times as many knives as not, depending on how you count it. Why? Because they're not always necessary. Flippers need them, so the Mantras, Domino/Dice, and Advocate all have them; Brad Southard probably preferred his collaboration didn't, and it was also Spyderco's first flipper from which they may have learned valuable data about this. Lionsteel use inserts on a lot of knives, especially since they make framelocks with aluminum handles that pretty much need an insert every time.
I don't have a problem with lock inserts, and I absolutely think they're a good idea. I really like the insert on my Mantra, especially as it's hidden behind the lockbar. But an insert isn't necessary on every knife, and insisting on every Ti framelock receiving one is just silly. My Techno is just fine without it, with zero lock stick whatsoever. And while totally subjective, I think some knives look better without them, such as the Nirvana and the Sage 2, as well as the Slysz designs. Form should follow function, but if the function isn't compromised, then some allowance for form is ok.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Donut

Post by Donut »

What does a titanium lock interface have to do with S90v?

Talking about something off topic is a good way for people, like me, to skip your posts completely.

1. S90v thread, open.
2. Skim - Locks, locks, bs, bs, Sprints!
3. Read.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

endgame wrote:I love vg10 but insanely love s90v.my user mule is so tough and sharp.I have the pm2s both of the.the manix 2 and the yojimbo 2 .but they are rare and I cant abuse them.I would like more knives made in this perfect steal.make it a option on all knives you can do that.the factory edge on my mule I threw everything at this edge no roll or chip and it stayed razor sharp forever then I pit a mirror polished wicked edge at 18 ° and its even better.please make more of this gem.I would lpve a dfly,delica,endura ,mire pm2 and manix.can you not get anymore sal? You put that steel on a knife it sells.
S90V is very good but S110V is even better and I don't think one costs that much more than the other so the only reason to use S90V these days are to deplete old stock.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

So in response to the actual purpose of this thread:
I asked Eric at Blade about the Nirvana, and why it was in S90V instead of S110V. He told me that one, S110V is being used for the production blurple knives out of Golden, and two, they want to use S90V for special or higher-end knives, like the Nirvana or the forum knife. So unfortunately that probably means fewer knives with S90V, but it also means that any knife with S90V will be a special one in some way.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I would like very much to see another sprint or exclusive Manix 2 in S90V. My first choice would have been peel ply black CF to match my KW exclusive Manix 2 XL, but I doubt that that would be possible since there was a sprint run of a model like that in 2009. But there were only 400 made, and they're selling for around $300 on the bay, around once or twice a year, maybe when the owner passes away :(

Also I can't afford the upcoming CPM154/S90V model, and though I much appreciate the production of it and the orange CS S90V exclusive, I'd really rather have peel ply CF or G-10 (pref. black or green or earth tone--would take maroon or brown). Would also take smooth CF like the KC Cruwear exclusive, but was surprised to learn that I like the peel ply better, especially for Manix knives.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

S90V is very good but S110V is even better and I don't think one costs that much more than the other so the only reason to use S90V these days are to deplete old stock.[/quote]

Why is S110V better than S90V? I am interested in the Para 3 in S90V with CF scales but I have no experience with S110V or S90V.

Is S110V tougher than S90V? More corrosion resistant? Easier to sharpen? Better edge retention?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
danroyale

Post by danroyale »

I wish they did a Sage 2 spring with S90V.

Maybe anodize the Ti to distinguish it!
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

palonej wrote:
I felt the same way........before I got a black Southard. I feel NO stick on unlocking whatsoever. It's been flipped a gabillion times and just gets better!
No reservations at all with Spydie locks of this type at all.
Joe
Isn't this such a great knife? Every time I read that somebody has written about Spyderco not knowing how to do flippers, I pull this one out, flick it open and shut, and laugh. It proves bearings work just fine.

It also is a great demo of how at least some competitors - and I'm thinking of stuff from the WE factory - use a heavy blade to leverage inertia in their favor for smooth flipping. What a way to design a knife: let's take a slicer, and compromise the design by making the blade much too thick, as though we never learned our lessons about blade geometry, sharpness, thickness, and edge design, just so that we can say "It's a better flipper."

Spyderco, again, keeps the whole knife in the picture for functionality. The blade on the Southard is thin, so it's a great slicer; it has enough belly to work with; it's not a Tanto, so you can sharpen it and the blade works...and then they engineered the pivot assembly so that this light, properly crafted blade flips just as well as the heavy crap.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are zero reasons I would ever choose S90V over S110V if I had the choice between the two.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Evil D wrote:There are zero reasons I would ever choose S90V over S110V if I had the choice between the two.
What if it were half the price? :p
Patrick LaFollette
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dplafoll wrote:
Evil D wrote:There are zero reasons I would ever choose S90V over S110V if I had the choice between the two.
What if it were half the price? :p
Yeah, then I would jump on it. For me they're close enough in performance that money could sway my decision, but all of all other things were equal, or we're asking for more of a type of steel, there's no reason to choose 90 over 110.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David