Please more s90v so little options

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

Please more s90v so little options

Post by endgame »

I love vg10 but insanely love s90v.my user mule is so tough and sharp.I have the pm2s both of the.the manix 2 and the yojimbo 2 .but they are rare and I cant abuse them.I would like more knives made in this perfect steal.make it a option on all knives you can do that.the factory edge on my mule I threw everything at this edge no roll or chip and it stayed razor sharp forever then I pit a mirror polished wicked edge at 18 ° and its even better.please make more of this gem.I would lpve a dfly,delica,endura ,mire pm2 and manix.can you not get anymore sal? You put that steel on a knife it sells.
farnorthdan

Re: Please more s90v so little options

Post by farnorthdan »

I'm with you, love me some s90v, most recent catch for me is the BBS Millie, seems to hold a razor edge forever.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Nirvana will be a standard production knife with S90V. It will be expensive but not rare so you should be able to abuse it without any guilt.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

endgame wrote:I love vg10 but insanely love s90v.my user mule is so tough and sharp.I have the pm2s both of the.the manix 2 and the yojimbo 2 .but they are rare and I cant abuse them.I would like more knives made in this perfect steal.make it a option on all knives you can do that.the factory edge on my mule I threw everything at this edge no roll or chip and it stayed razor sharp forever then I pit a mirror polished wicked edge at 18 ° and its even better.please make more of this gem.I would lpve a dfly,delica,endura ,mire pm2 and manix.can you not get anymore sal? You put that steel on a knife it sells.
Maybe you should snag one of the 2015 forum Native 5's. They're still in stock and cost only $95.97 if you use the code, FORUM2015. I was about to say you could get a 4V mule for $69.95 to go with it to get above the $150 free shipping amount, but I remembered you're in Canada. It would be $25 S&H for the Native or $45 for the pair. You could probably get someone south of the border to buy you one and ship it to you for their cost if you're interested....
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

farnorthdan wrote:I'm with you, love me some s90v, most recent catch for me is the BBS Millie, seems to hold a razor edge forever.

Love my BBS S90V Millie as well. Smooth pivot, excellent blade steel. Glad I got it. :)
endgame

Post by endgame »

Liquid Cobra wrote:The Nirvana will be a standard production knife with S90V. It will be expensive but not rare so you should be able to abuse it without any guilt.
I was very excited about the nirvana but the dont carbadize the lockface.thats a no no for me .its so cheap to do and on a 400$ knife .it will develop lockrock and some will be very sticky.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

endgame wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:The Nirvana will be a standard production knife with S90V. It will be expensive but not rare so you should be able to abuse it without any guilt.
I was very excited about the nirvana but the dont carbadize the lockface.thats a no no for me .its so cheap to do and on a 400$ knife .it will develop lockrock and some will be very sticky.
Spyderco has stated that they don't do any treatment to any of their locks. There must be a reason for this. I'm sure they've done their homework and determined that it is not needed. If it was, they would do it. That has been my experience with the company so far. None of my titanium frame locks from Spyderco have any movement or are sticky. So I think the Nirvana will be just fine.

As a reference, the only other non frame lock I've ever owned was a Hinderer. I don't know if they treat their lock faces or not, but that was the stickiest lock I've ever encountered. Some days it took two hands to unlock.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Since they are still trying to move the 2015 Forum Native I would say that putting S90V in a knife doesn't make it a guaranteed hit. I don't have enough experience with it myself.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Spyderco has stated that they don't do any treatment to any of their locks. There must be a reason for this. I'm sure they've done their homework and determined that it is not needed. If it was, they would do it. That has been my experience with the company so far. None of my titanium frame locks from Spyderco have any movement or are sticky. So I think the Nirvana will be just fine.
I appreciate this post because I have been wondering if the lock bar face of my Sage 2 with RIL was carbitized. I couldn't see that it was but couldn't tell for sure. Now I know. I have never had a problem with "sticky lock" so no issues there. Works smooth and always has.
Thanks Liquid Cobra. :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Since they are still trying to move the 2015 Forum Native I would say that putting S90V in a knife doesn't make it a guaranteed hit. I don't have enough experience with it myself.
I think S90V helps sell a knife significantly. I wonder how many of the 2015 forum knives would have sold if it was S30V. The S90V blade pushed many to buy it and overlook the color, a color that wasn't very popular.

@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Have you had better experiences with s90v than s110v?

I have a Manix 2 in s90v and another in s110v. I carry them both and honestly can't tell much difference.

South fork (also s90v) has been a great knife for me. But I don't have an s110v counterpart to compare it to.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Clearly you're worried about value down the road as opposed to use now. I buy sprints just to use them. My S90V millie was used quite a lot and it still gets thrown into rotation. S90V yojimbo as well also the para and both manix 2 and XL. Spyderco has offered more S90V in more sizes than any company i can think of. My mule gets used too. I like to use my "pocket jewelry" sure it looks good on display too but if you have all those others you could surely use one. I'm fairly certain spyderco isn't done with S90V either. Japanese models won't see it though.
palonej

Post by palonej »

El Gato wrote:
I appreciate this post because I have been wondering if the lock bar face of my Sage 2 with RIL was carbitized. I couldn't see that it was but couldn't tell for sure. Now I know. I have never had a problem with "sticky lock" so no issues there. Works smooth and always has.
Thanks Liquid Cobra. :)
I felt the same way........before I got a black Southard. I feel NO stick on unlocking whatsoever. It's been flipped a gabillion times and just gets better!
No reservations at all with Spydie locks of this type at all.
Joe
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I believe Spyderco carburizes the locks on RIL, not carbidizes... This is the best way to treat the lock from what I have read (CRK Has been very successful with it)

I like S90V as well as S110V and it's been in many Spyderco knives recently. It's expensive to work with and more pricey to purchase plus it's not always a great option for people who aren't excellent sharpening their knives. On the forum, most will be fairly experienced with sharpening, but I think far too many consumers do not know how to sharpen very well and don't have great stones to take care of high carbide steels.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There is quite a bit of CPM-S90v and even CPM-S110v. It's not all over the fleet but certainly more than most makers.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Cujobob wrote:I believe Spyderco carburizes the locks on RIL, not carbidizes... This is the best way to treat the lock from what I have read (CRK Has been very successful with it)

I like S90V as well as S110V and it's been in many Spyderco knives recently. It's expensive to work with and more pricey to purchase plus it's not always a great option for people who aren't excellent sharpening their knives. On the forum, most will be fairly experienced with sharpening, but I think far too many consumers do not know how to sharpen very well and don't have great stones to take care of high carbide steels.
Kristi has stated that they do neither carburized or carbidized.

@liquid_cobra
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Cujobob wrote:I believe Spyderco carburizes the locks on RIL, not carbidizes... This is the best way to treat the lock from what I have read (CRK Has been very successful with it)
Kristi has stated that they do neither carburized or carbidized.
This is "comforting" to me because I keep getting the two mixed up, and apparently cannot correctly spell either one of them. :D
Now I can just forget the whole shebang!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Found the quote.
TazKristi wrote:We have no plans at this time for a steel interface. We also do not carburize or carbidize.

What we do have though is lots of experience, data from extensive testing and several thousand knives (some with a steel interface and some without). We also have our practice of CQI (Constant Quality Improvement). Just as we do with every model (new and old), we'll be watching and listening to all of you.

I hope this helps.

Kristi

@liquid_cobra
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Found the quote.
TazKristi wrote:We have no plans at this time for a steel interface. We also do not carburize or carbidize.

What we do have though is lots of experience, data from extensive testing and several thousand knives (some with a steel interface and some without). We also have our practice of CQI (Constant Quality Improvement). Just as we do with every model (new and old), we'll be watching and listening to all of you.

I hope this helps.

Kristi
So there it is. Thanks again. ;)
swigert

Post by swigert »

endgame wrote:
BUT.... Kristi mentioned the other day none of their knives are carbadized.

I haven't had issues on any other knives. You?