Got my 1st Spyderco, unhappy with the finishing?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Boredfish

Got my 1st Spyderco, unhappy with the finishing?

Post by Boredfish »

I am new to the forum and in fact to Spyderco itself (not to EDC knives). Anyway I thought to 'get started' with (possibly) one of their best i.e. the Caly3.5. Here in Europe they cost a small fortune (double the American price), so I was really looking forward to it.

I wasn't disappointed; the knife is scary sharp, and the look is ultra cool - as expected. Will see how it performs.

However, ALL the pictures I'd seen show a gently chamfered CF handle. Mine, the handle edges were the same as the blade... sharp! 90 degrees cut carbon fibre (sorry I did not take a picture). Very uncomfortable to handle and apt to get nicked, so I went ahead and rounded it up (a lot). This took two+ hours and I am happy with the finish but as said in the subject, it makes me wonder about Spyderco quality control.

Other minor issues are that the blade wiggles when closed (all the ways until it's locked open actually). I know it's probably because of the design and not an issue because nobody is gonna use a knife when folded, but my other knives blades don't wiggle when closed.

The CF handle was okay but the surface was uneven, with some rough patches. I managed to make it smooth with some very fine sandpaper and buffing/polishing.

Staying on the handling side, I passed my finger on the liners, sure enough I got a sort of paper cut and a little blood. Again 90 degrees cut steel. This is also true with the top of the blade, and both choils (very sharp edges). These issues make the knife really uncomfortable to handle, so I used my Sharpmaster to smooth them.

I still have to chamfer the thumb hole, which is also very sharp and uncomfortable. I've read they stopped to chamfer the hole due to 'safety issues' (?) but to me it contributes to make me think that in general Spyderco finishing lacks quality.

Again - I am happy with the knife, all this post-purchase work made me bond with it - but was expecting a $300 tool to be a bit more comfortable and surely, better finished.
endgame

Re: Got my 1st Spyderco, unhappy with the finishing?

Post by endgame »

This why they are beeing discontinued.no offence but run if you get one you like you will go broke this might be a omen.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

First of all: welcome to the forums!
Boredfish wrote:it makes me wonder about Spyderco quality control.
It is a common misconception that this is due to lack of quality control especially for the Moki-made Spydercos.
Sal sees sharp edges of the handle material and crisp liners as a sign of good craftmanship.
It is much more difficult to make than hiding factory imperfections with chamfered or rounded edges.

My Caly 3.5s are exactly as yours, don't know where you have seen a gently chamfered CF handle.
Spyderco has put a lot off effort in the past to find the "right" sharpness of the opening hole, you most probably have to get used to it.

endgame wrote:This why they are beeing discontinued.no offence but run if you get one you like you will go broke this might be a omen.
Did I miss something?
I thought only the CF Caly 3 is discontinued.
Boredfish

Post by Boredfish »

I see Caly's smoothed out edges in every pic I look at. For example here viewtopic.php?t=30011

There was no way I could get used to it, I've chamfered all the edges and this morning the thumb hole too. Now it's a pleasure to handle it, compared to a sharp cut-out from a carbon fibre slate.

> Sal sees sharp edges of the handle material and crisp liners as a sign of good craftmanship.
Whatever he says but certainly beveling the edges for both CF and steel would add several steps to the manufacturing process involving routers etc. - which means higher costs.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Moki does seem to take the "crisp edges" concept to extremes at times. Still, removing material is pretty easy, adding it can be impossible. So, while it's fairly easy to soften a crisp edge, it's extremely difficult to make a soft one crisp.

Below is a very early CF Caly 3, where you can see that the perimeter of the handle has not been chamfered since day one...
These characteristics may not appeal to you, they may make you unhappy with the knife, but this is the way this particular knife is finished, and the way it always has been finished.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Boredfish

Post by Boredfish »

The image at the top (with the red arrows) looks quite different from yours, and still, your edges look smoother than mine (when I got the knife), which was the same as holding a piece of raw-cut glass. This is how my edges look now after chamfering (I removed a lot of material even though it does not seem so, the picture sucks).
I am happy with the knife now -- this post is not to complain, just wondering why some knives don't come finished.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Boredfish wrote:I am happy with the knife now -- this post is not to complain, just wondering why some knives don't come finished.
Sorry that you were not happy with the Caly 3.5 at first glance.
It probably did not become clear on my first post but these crisp edges are completely intentionally and are not an indication of a lack of fit and finish.
It's an old tradition of the Japanese knife makers to judge these crisp edges as a sign of quality craftmanship.
You will experience the same with older Spyderco pieces like the Viele, the Shabaria, the Zowada or the Micarta Persians as well as with the knives Moki made in the past for other brands like Al Mar, Kershaw or Beretta, just to name a few.

Sal explained the reasons for the crisp edges in many more details in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=55738
Boredfish

Post by Boredfish »

thanks I understand that, having watched many pics and youtube videos - such as this https://youtu.be/ORDa-elHFCQ where the edges are clearly rounded - I was just wondering why mine were 90 degrees straight.

Which actually brings me to my secondary question i.e. why my blade lamination line is 2mm from the cutting edge on one side and 4mm from the cutting edge on the other?
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Boredfish wrote:Which actually brings me to my secondary question i.e. why my blade lamination line is 2mm from the cutting edge on one side and 4mm from the cutting edge on the other?
This is also pretty normal, during the grinding of the blade in the factory the smallest inevitable deviation can lead to an offset of the laminate lines.
You have to be quite lucky to find a sample with even laminate lines on both sides, this applies not only for Spyderco but for all other brands.
That is the reason why I tend to by a knife with a laminated blade locally at a brick-and-mortar store so that I can pick up the finest sample.

The chamfered edges of the CF shown in the video you mentioned are most probably the result of some aftermarket work.
Last edited by MarcusH on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Mine was "sharp" around the edges as well. As stated earlier I've also read that Sal sees it as a sign of good machining. The way I look at it is, In a gloved hand I much prefer sharp edges and in bare hand smooth, rounded, or chamfered edges. So I like that many come this way, it allows me to adjust them for how I'm going to carry them. Not everyone is willing or wanting to mess around with their brand new knife. Perhaps Spyderco might consider offering "gloved hand" and "bare hand" models with a slight upcharge for the more "finished" model?
As far as the other finishing issues, I've found Japan Spydies to be a step down from Golden, (I think the current Chinese models are on par with Japan) and Taiwan Spydies to be near perfect. I don't own any from Italy.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Boredfish

Post by Boredfish »

This other is an 'unboxing' video so there can't be any post work https://youtu.be/x3EoOwkO1tg
At ~3:40 it shows the edges well and they are much smoother than mine (which is a March 2015 built so quite recent).
Now I have over-chamfered my edges a bit I'm afraid, but I like how it feels and luckily I never wear gloves :)
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Boredfish wrote:This other is an 'unboxing' video so there can't be any post work https://youtu.be/x3EoOwkO1tg
At ~3:40 it shows the edges well and they are much smoother than mine (which is a March 2015 built so quite recent).
Though the guy states that he bought the knife as new I honestly doubt that this is really the case.
Might be a misinformation of the dealer or the previous owner.
The chamfering of the Carbonfiber was obviously made aftermarket, looks absolutely horrible. You can see this in detail @minute #3.53.
I can hardly believe that the knife in this condition was able to pass Spyderco's QC.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

I thought it was the G10 version which was discontinued?
You can't beat looking at knives in a shop.
My first Spyderco was also a CF Caly 3.5!
I'll post a picture of it later on
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

As Boredfish I would love to see Spyderco making chamfered handles !!!! Inside and outside....

"I've also read that Sal sees it as a sign of good machining" Mouhaha ! I'm laughing ! Strange answer from the company...

For me, good machining would be nicely chamfered ...
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Some people have softer hands than others.

I personally do not want to see chamferred holes.

Sorry to hear this one did not live up to your expectations.
Going back to Caly.
Boredfish

Post by Boredfish »

All knives I see are smooth to handle (obviously). In fact, I have never seen any sort of tool where the handle has 90 degrees, factory cut, unprocessed hard material handles. It's like buying a table and cutting your arms just sitting at it. Even though - for reasons unknown to me - some people seem to prefer uncomfortable handles, it's obvious that this way it will chip and dent.

With this Caly, I am convinced Spyderco simply forgot or didn't care to finish the knife. As said above, I also cut my finger by just passing it on the liners (!), this is unacceptable and I wouldn't be surprised - like some others said - that they are discontinuing this knife (and I would recommend, carbon fibre in general).

I know I am no one and there are big Spyderco fans here, well sorry, but even though their design is as good as it gets, their QC sucks (not just because of the knife edges, the entire CF handle is unpolished, uneven, rough and unfinished).
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Boredfish wrote:All knives I see are smooth to handle (obviously). In fact, I have never seen any sort of tool where the handle has 90 degrees, factory cut, unprocessed hard material handles. It's like buying a table and cutting your arms just sitting at it. Even though - for reasons unknown to me - some people seem to prefer uncomfortable handles, it's obvious that this way it will chip and dent.

With this Caly, I am convinced Spyderco simply forgot or didn't care to finish the knife. As said above, I also cut my finger by just passing it on the liners (!), this is unacceptable and I wouldn't be surprised - like some others said - that they are discontinuing this knife (and I would recommend, carbon fibre in general).

I know I am no one and there are big Spyderco fans here, well sorry, but even though their design is as good as it gets, their QC sucks (not just because of the knife edges, the entire CF handle is unpolished, uneven, rough and unfinished).

Nobody has stated they like uncomfortable handles. Also, you don't have to feel like a "no one" here. It's actually quite an open and relaxed forum here, so don't feel like anyone is going to attack you. As far as "big Spyderco fans here", yeah there definitely are, but compared to many other forums I've been on, most people here seem to be much less biased and blinded in their views.

You've stated your issues, and it seems apparent that you do not mesh with this particular knife and are unhappy with its characteristics. If you hadn't modified it, I'd recommend just returning it and maybe try out a Rubicon or something with a much more contoured handle.

I have quite a few Calys, and my CF one has quite square edges to the CF. I don't find this particularly displeasing nor uncomfortable. I don't believe it to be unfinished, either. I actually enjoy these particular characteristics on the Caly. I am not the biggest fan of carbon fiber for knife handles, but I find nothing wrong with mine.
Going back to Caly.