Lets talk locks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your favorite lock ?

Back
27%
Frame
8%
Liner
10%
Compression
42%
Ball bearing
12%
Bolt Action
No votes
Power
1%

Total votes: 83

spyderwolf

Lets talk locks

Post by spyderwolf »

I would realy want to know what your favorite locks are.For me,the compression lock is nr.1 and i dont know why Spyderco dont put it on more knives.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
El Gato

Re: Lets talk locks

Post by El Gato »

I really don't feel qualified to place a vote because I only own knives with the first three lock choices and no experience with the remaining four. :o
Holland

Post by Holland »

Compression lock for me without question
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

I have a weird and unfounded bias against lock-backs. I am slowly getting over it, but I still have it stuck in my head from growing up that lockbacks are only on those old beat up buck knives, while all the "nice" knives have frame and liner locks.
Looking forward to picking up a few great spyderco lockbacks and giving them a fair chance this weekend. Overall though, I really like frame/liner locks if they are flippers, and the ball bearing style otherwise. I think the compression lock could be awesome too, but I haven't had any experience with it besides quickly handling a PM2 at the factory outlet. Not gonna vote since I havent really given many of the locks a fair chance.
Last edited by EDC Honeybee on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Compression lock here, just something wicked cool about it, frame lock a close second.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

(Nested) liner lock hands down.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

spydutch wrote:(Nested) liner lock hands down.
+1000 Yes. ;)

Just a quick side note: I knew the Compression Lock would be popular, but wow, it's already hitting 80% in popularity. I hope Spyderco continues with this lock as it reminds me of a reverse-liner lock of sorts.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

EDC Honeybee wrote:I have a weird and unfounded bias against lock-backs. I am slowly getting over it, but I still have it stuck in my head from growing up that lockbacks are only on those old beat up buck knives, while all the "nice" knives have frame and liner locks.
Yeah, I think this is a common misperception. I kind of felt that way myself until I got into Spyderco knives. Many of my favorite models had backlocks though so I was forced to get over that unwarranted prejudice. I have come to really respect the backlock as a strong and functional design and have even come to prefer it to most other lock designs. I heartily support your efforts in getting over that bias, otherwise you will miss out on some great designs with great locks. :)

FWIW, I voted backlock but it was very close between that and the compression lock. I would also note that I like ALL of the locks on the list. They all work great for me when well executed.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I voted for the Power Lock, because it's an evolution of the back lock. All things being equal, I'd choose a fully ambidextrous lock over a dedicated right or left every time. If you can improve on a time tested design, all the better!
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Surfingringo wrote: I would also note that I like ALL of the locks on the list. They all work great for me when well executed.
Amen :cool:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

CBBL for me. I have all of them, and have carried all of them, and I always go back to the CBBL.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Compression first and liner and frame share the second place
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Of the locks Spyderco uses the backlock, or more specifically the midlock, is my hands down favorite. Bolt action would be second, but a very distant second.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Compression for me by a whisker, but the only Spyderco lock I've tried and didn't like was the cbbl.

My thumb falls to the Military liner lock so easily when I want it to, and then I see this enormous guillotine swinging towards it ...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the compression lock the best myself but I think that the back lock is the most well rounded lock of the bunch. It does everything well and it is ambidextrous with a great detent that pulls the blade shut. A knife with a ball bearing detent isn't as secure as a knife with a progressive detent like the back lock. I like the comfort afforded by the close back design of a backlock as well. It just feels better in my hand than open backed pillar construction.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

All have a place in my heart (and my collection)- but there's something about the elegant simplicity of the frame lock that appeals to the engineer in me.

That said, the majority of my collection are backlocks despite that.....Guess that tells me that lock type doesn't put me off a knife. :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
elena86

Post by elena86 »

A short note first.Comp lock IS NOT a reverse liner lock.I looove comp lock but I voted liner lock cause I feel that I have more control over it with one hand.In fact, for me it's a toss between comp lock and liner lock.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

For my workhorse blades Compression Lock, Hands Down. :spyder:

For my EDC blades Frame Lock, No Matter What. :cool:

And yes, I'm right handed. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spydutch wrote:(Nested) liner lock hands down.
Spydutch I'm glad you put in a good plug for the liner lock. It's not my favorite but I've always thought that the liner locks always seem to get a bad reputation on most of these forums and I've owned and currently use two liner lock models and I've had nothing but good performance out of all of the ones I"ve used made by Spyderco and Benchmade both.

Now I voted for the compression lock as my favorite for a lot of reasons. I've always been mesmorized by the compression lock on the older Gunting model in particular. Now my sentimental favorite and coming in at a close second is the ball bearing lock>> the one on my Dodo models is one I've had great luck with over the years>> however if your going to carry a model with a ball bearing lock I've found that using a dry lubricant really helps the performance in the long haul. I've always used graphite of PTFE dry lube and I've never had a failure on either one of my Dodo models.

This reminds me of one of the very first threads I ever responded to when I joined the Spyderco forum back in 2004. It was a thread that Sal himself put up and I believe it was entitled "Let's Talk About Locks">> I even made hard copies of it and kept it. I may try to pull it up whenever this one runs out of steam. It was a very informative thread and one that had a lot of good responses.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

First choice by far is the Compression Lock, after that it's the backlock/mid-lock. I don't trust the other locks....probably why I carry few folders and mostly fixed blades...that said I agree that Spyderco should offer more knives with the compression lock.....Doc:)