Lets talk locks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your favorite lock ?

Back
27%
Frame
8%
Liner
10%
Compression
42%
Ball bearing
12%
Bolt Action
No votes
Power
1%

Total votes: 83

MattM68

Re: Lets talk locks

Post by MattM68 »

Compression lock for me too! I'm actually pretty surprised backlocks are doing so well in the poll. Nothing wrong with a backlock/mid-lock though! I think about 1/3 of my knives are backlocks, even though I don't care too much for the lock itself. I don't let the lock decide what knife I buy!

Matt
endgame

Post by endgame »

Frame lock if it titanium and carbadized no inserts.the lock on the hinderer xm is my fav just solid perfection.next compresion lock ,ghost lock ,backlock ,ball lock ,linerlock,buton lock
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Wow!I must say i'm glad to find out i'm not the only one who loves the comp.lock (by the way,like Elena said it has nothing to do with a liner lock),and dislikes the back lock-ironically most of my knives are back locks because its a lock so used by Spyderco.To bad that except for the PM and Yojimbo the compression locks are hard to find...and expensive too :(
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Waco

Post by Waco »

Tough choice. I currently own 1 lock back, 2 ball-bearing locks, and one liner lock. I like them all for different reasons. I tried a compression lock, but it was clumsy for a lefty. I picked liner because the lock on my Millie is so simple and yet locks up so well. It's so comfortable to open and close. And I saw the Russian abusive use test. If you beat on it hard enough, the lock will release, but it still worked afterwards.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I consider that the most secure locks from Spyderco are the compression, caged ball bearing and the lock back.

Absent savage abuse, it is difficult to see how any of these would fail. My intuition says that the lock least likely to be accidentally actuated by the user would be the back lock. I like them. They are simple, strong and ambidextrous to operate.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have 5 of the 7 lock types. I don't pay that much attention to the lock type except that I very rarely buy lockback knives. I actually voted for the liner lock because it is simple and versatile and IMO the easiest to use. I don't think it got many votes because it is so mundane. When I am thinking about buying a new knife I make sure it is not a lockback, then I look at all of the other design features without much consideration of the lock type.

I like the idea of the frame lock but the ones that I have seem to be harder to use because of their execution. I find the compression lock interesting but it requires careful attention when using it so you don't guillotine off a few fingertips. The BBL because of the way I have to hold it to activate the spring is actually the safest and most positive for me. The liner lock is quickest for me but does also require attention so you get your thumb out in time. The lockback for me is very slow and/or dangerous.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I hope this does not disqualify my vote. But, I have to say: RING LOCK, which is not on that list. Aside from that, I prefer the Back-Lock and Midlock which is a form of backlock. Why ring lock? It seems to me, at least, to be the most stable. In order for your fingers to get cut, the blade would have to first cut through the metal ring/steel ring. I may be wrong on this, though.

I do have liner-lock knives, but the thought always lingers in the back of my mind: If enough stress is put on that liner, its gonna cave, and there goes the finger, God-forbid! Hehe.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

I voted for backlock, since I'm left-handed; however, if Sal decides to make a lefty version of the compression lock on one of their models, I will definitely be a buyer.

A guy can dream right? :D
Waco

Post by Waco »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote: I do have liner-lock knives, but the thought always lingers in the back of my mind: If enough stress is put on that liner, its gonna cave, and there goes the finger, God-forbid! Hehe.
I try to follow the old rule of using a locking knife as if it didn't have a lock. If I need to stab or pry on something with significant force, I'm going to use a fixed blade.
GaryC

Post by GaryC »

Lockback.GC
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I dont know if there are ring locks on Spydercos,but i dont think its a particular strong lock,and its realy slow.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Personally I like Frame and Liner locks. :)
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

gotta love those compression locks.. :)

(do also happily use alot of other locks but compression locks have been my favorite since I bought a PM in '09)
Last edited by Joris Mo on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I've always liked back locks the best. I don't mind a liner lock but the comp lock would be my 2nd fav. I would also say the bolt action isn't getting any love but its a great system.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Almost all of my EDCs have back lock. I found them easy to operate and very reliable. I frequently carry Memory, which has liner lock. It is OK. I like how operate compression lock and ball (caged or not) lock. I owned several frame locks (Volpe, 2 LeafStorms, Chokwe, ZT561) and didn't like the lock. I tried a knife with bolt lock on a show and like it.
So as of today my choice is back lock, which can be changed after Shaman will be released. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
palonej

Post by palonej »

Love the comp lock......also really like liner, Millie, BBL and frame locks done by Spydie.
Not crazy bout back locks.....not too flickable......IMO.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ If desired, I can flick any of my back/mid-locks, it's not much more difficult.

I voted Compression lock.
But, I enjoy most all of them, and so glad there is variety! :D
Going back to Caly.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Voted Compression, mostly because I want to see more knives with it. I like the ball bearing a lot, but wish it was as easy to disengage as the axis lock.