spyderco throwing knife/knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JAfromMN

Re: spyderco throwing knife/knives

Post by JAfromMN »

Well I guess we're going to have to wait a bit to see these.

I'm excited to know there in the works.

Summers here. I wish the would bump them up into production. It's time.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Page 130 of the new catalog

I'm so getting a set of these.

I love the blade shape. Reminds me of a smashet blade

Im going to try get the small set when I can afford it.

There going to have till after Christmas but they are going to be worth the wait ..

Im excited .. :)
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I think these look very interesting
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I have a throwing board waiting for these.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I wonder when they will hit the stores and what there going to cost.

Its going to take me awhile to save up ...
BTG

Post by BTG »

JAfromMN wrote:I wonder when they will hit the stores and what there going to cost.

Shouldn't be too bad, same steel as they use in there economy knives, tenacious, persistence, etc....a very good choice I believe....ya don't want to be throwing the super steels around.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

BTG wrote:
JAfromMN wrote:I wonder when they will hit the stores and what there going to cost.

Shouldn't be too bad, same steel as they use in there economy knives, tenacious, persistence, etc....a very good choice I believe....ya don't want to be throwing the super steels around.

Its not my time of year to make cash

I'm going to figure something out.

I could really enjoy those with my nephew..
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I still need to get my hands on a set of these.

I think I'd prefer the smaller ones
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'm kinda bummed there made in China
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I've been throwing knives since I was a kid. I started off with the cheap three packs of short, lightweight throwers that I bought from the cutlery store in the mall (back when such things existed). I got those and Harry McEvoy's "little green book" (which I bought from the bookstore in the mall, when those existed) and spent countless hours chucking them at a wooden target.

Years later, after drooling over the "real" throwing knives I saw in McEvoy's book, I saved up for one and bought one of his Tru-Balance Bowie-Axe throwers from a high-end cutlery shop in downtown Chicago. The experience of throwing that knife compared to the cheapos was literally night and day and allowed me to understand McEvoy's teachings so much better. Since then, I've added several more Tru-Balance knives to my collection, as well as a set of Pearce Arrow throwers and a few others. Once I appreciated the difference that real throwers make, I never went back.

When Sal told me that Spyderco was going to make throwing knives, I was a little skeptical. He told me the story of meeting Harald Moeller and working across the aisle from him for years at the Oregon Knife Show. Sal, who is also an accomplished thrower, had high praise for Harald's knives, so I was excited about the project. He gave me a copy of Harald's book on the evolution of the design, and though I enjoyed it, some of his claims (specifically, that all three sizes of his knives threw and stuck at the same distance) didn't ring true with my experience. Sal asked me to rework Harald's book to bring it up to date and knew that the best way to get me appreciate the Viper design was to let me throw them. After all the 2017 catalog photos were shot, he handed me the prototype knives and gave me his blessing to throw them. To put it bluntly, I was blown away.

These knives throw as well as my custom handmade throwers. Amazingly, all three sizes actually do throw the same at the same distances. Although Harald primarily advocates the handle-throw method, they also throw great in half-spin multiples when thrown "professional style" by the blade.

As for being made in China, I have absolutely no issue with that. The quality of execution is outstanding and will allow us to offer them at a more reasonable price than if they were made elsewhere.

I'm first in line to buy a set...

Stay safe,

Mike
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

These throwing knives are gonna be awesome!!
Definitely gonna get a set. Have a great place to throw and have fun.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sounds great and I'm in for a set. Can someone (Maybe Michael) give some information on the advantages and disadvantages of larger and smaller throwers? I would assume that the larger ones are easier to work with? Thanks.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am in for a set. I will get the bigger ones as I think they will be easier to throw for me. I have limited experience with throwing knives but I have done it a little bit.

As far as being made in china goes I am for once in support of it. My property is rocky and throwing knives is hard on them. I got pretty good at throwing my Schempp Rock this fall but after sharpening more than a few chips out of it I stopped. It might be a factory second and it might have a slight bend in the blade but I still don't want to kill it. I have no desire to spend a bunch of money on a knife that is gonna be bouncing off of trees.

Are these heat treated the same as the other 8cr13mov coming out of china or are they run softer or run in a way that maximizes toughness? I am under the impression that some throwing knives are either run soft or not heat treated at all and that others are run in the mid 50s? Is this true?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Michael Janich wrote:I've been throwing knives since I was a kid. I started off with the cheap three packs of short, lightweight throwers that I bought from the cutlery store in the mall (back when such things existed). I got those and Harry McKevoy's "little green book" (which I bought from the bookstore in the mall, when those existed) and spent countless hours chucking them at a wooden target.

Years later, after drooling over the "real" throwing knives I saw in McKevoy's book, I saved up for one and bought one of his Tru-Balance Bowie-Axe throwers from a high-end cutlery shop in downtown Chicago. The experience of throwing that knife compared to the cheapos was literally night and day and allowed me to understand McKevoy's teachings so much better. Since then, I've added several more Tru-Balance knives to my collection, as well as a set of Pearce Arrow throwers and a few others. Once I appreciated the difference that real throwers make, I never went back.

When Sal told me that Spyderco was going to make throwing knives, I was a little skeptical. He told me the story of meeting Harald Moeller and working across the aisle from him for years at the Oregon Knife Show. Sal, who is also an accomplished thrower, had high praise for Harald's knives, so I was excited about the project. He gave me a copy of Harald's book on the evolution of the design, and though I enjoyed it, some of his claims (specifically, that all three sizes of his knives threw and stuck at the same distance) didn't ring true with my experience. Sal asked me to rework Harald's book to bring it up to date and knew that the best way to get me appreciate the Viper design was to let me throw them. After all the 2017 catalog photos were shot, he handed me the prototype knives and gave me his blessing to throw them. To put it bluntly, I was blown away.

These knives throw as well as my custom handmade throwers. Amazingly, all three sizes actually do throw the same at the same distances. Although Harald primarily advocates the handle-throw method, they also throw great in half-spin multiples when thrown "professional style" by the blade.

As for being made in China, I have absolutely no issue with that. The quality of execution is outstanding and will allow us to offer them at a more reasonable price than if they were made elsewhere.

I'm first in line to buy a set...

Stay safe,

Mike
Hey Mike, it's interesting to hear how similarly all three sizes perform. I'm curious which of the three sizes did you prefer?

I'm excited to try these out as well. I've been experimenting with throwing the Szabohawk but I have just about no experience throwing knives aside from some cheap chinese made flea market throwers from when I was younger. Love the idea of having some nice genuine spyderco throwing knives though.
-Nick :bug-red
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Throwing knives are typically tempered to a "spring" hardness to make them tough and durable.

So far, my preference is the larger size.

Stay safe,

Mike
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Has anyone seen an MSRP on these yet?
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Anyone get a set yet
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

These knives are still a few months off. We're working on stacked leather sheaths that will hold all three knives and I'm rewriting the book that will accompany each set. Still lots to do here...

Thanks for your excitement... and patience....

Stay safe,

Mike
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow! Even more awesome :D :D
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'm so saving up for a set.

Stupid bills.

I got a few ideas I want to make for travel targets.

There going to be fun this summer.