Prototype Identification Help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
remnar

Prototype Identification Help

Post by remnar »

I know this may be difficult to answer but I have a question for those that have seen the recent Spyderco prototypes at any of the latest shows. I was able to see and handle several at the Oregon show. I was very impressed by one of the smaller models but I have no idea what the name of this model is. I am hoping that someone here might know so that I can start pushing for production ;) .

My impression of the knife when I handled it was that it was a cross between a Navigator and a Leafstorm. It was a smaller knife like both, had a frame lock like the Leafstorm, and finger grooves like the Navigator. I can't remember the blade shape but I don't think it was a true leaf shape. The handle was very comfortable and I liked the smaller size. I know this isn't much to go on but does anybody know which knife I'm talking about. Does anyone know the name of this prototype.

Sal, You need to make this knife. :D
Donut

Re: Prototype Identification Help

Post by Donut »

It sounds like the Meerkat or Salsa (older models), but neither were frame locks.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
remnar

Post by remnar »

Donut wrote:It sounds like the Meerkat or Salsa (older models), but neither were frame locks.
It does, and I could be wrong about the lock but both of those also have a true leaf shaped blade and I'm sure this one did not. :confused:

I completely understand why I couldn't, but if only I were allowed to take pics of the protos...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

remnar wrote:
Donut wrote:It sounds like the Meerkat or Salsa (older models), but neither were frame locks.
It does, and I could be wrong about the lock but both of those also have a true leaf shaped blade and I'm sure this one did not. :confused:

I completely understand why I couldn't, but if only I were allowed to take pics of the protos...
I think I may know of the this prototype you're talking about. Did it feature jade green G-10 handles, a Wharncliffe style blade (about 2"), and feature a Ti Frame-Lock?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
remnar

Post by remnar »

SpyderNut wrote:
remnar wrote:

I think I may know of the this prototype you're talking about. Did it feature jade green G-10 handles, a Wharncliffe style blade (about 2"), and feature a Ti Frame-Lock?
I think that's it. I wasn't sure if the frame was Ti or steel, but that sounds like the one I'm talking about. Of all the protos on the table, that one really impressed me.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I believe the prototype model you are thinking of may be the Joule, by Michael Reinhold. Here is a brief overview of the Joule from Ted's post from the 2013 BLADE Show:
phillipsted wrote:OK - I spent about an hour hanging out at the Spyderco case today. I was in Spydie Heaven. The Spydie Crew were fantastic, as ususal - and freely passed around the concepts, prototypes, and pre-production models - telling stories about the knives, their development and collaborators. Great great great stuff.

Although, pictures of the prototype case were prohibited, Joyce said that it was OK for me to take notes. (Yay!) As Evil already pointed out - I am not always the best judge of measurements - so feel free to correct me if I miss something obvious. :) Also keep in mind that concepts and prototypes usually don't have the final steels and scale materials, so I won't include some of those details. In fact, a lot of the blades weren't even stamped with steel type...

OK, here we go:

- JOULE: A cool little knife by Michael Reinhold. It reminds me of the Leaf Storm a little, and it is about the same size. This one is a modified warncliffe blade in jade G10. The entire knife is very angular and the blade looks almost like a miniature Yojimbo blade. Worth a look.

Cheers!
TedP

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
remnar

Post by remnar »

Thanks for the info Spydernut. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

remnar wrote:Thanks for the info Spydernut. :)
No problem at all. :) Was that the one you were thinking of by chance?

remnar

Post by remnar »

SpyderNut wrote:
I think it is. I remember thinking that it looked a lot like the Leafstorm with its jade g10 scale and frame lock, and the modified warncliffe blade sounds right. I usually don't care for pronounced finger grooves but this one felt so good and the size was perfect for a small EDC. The shape of the blade also allowed it to tuck into the handle better than some of the leaf shaped blades which makes it slimmer in-pocket.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

remnar wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
I think it is. I remember thinking that it looked a lot like the Leafstorm with its jade g10 scale and frame lock, and the modified warncliffe blade sounds right. I usually don't care for pronounced finger grooves but this one felt so good and the size was perfect for a small EDC. The shape of the blade also allowed it to tuck into the handle better than some of the leaf shaped blades which makes it slimmer in-pocket.
I know what you mean. It almost reminds me of the shape of a hand-grenade when it's in the closed position, for some reason. ;) By the way, when was the Oregon knife show? I must have missed mention of that one...

remnar

Post by remnar »

If I remember correctly the show was in April. It was located in Eugene. Next years show is April 9th and 10th in the same location. Lane Event Center, Eugene, Oregon. If you're an OKCA member you can access the show a day early on the Friday before.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for the head's up on the show dates. I'll have to pay better attention to that this coming year. I seem to remember something about that show after you mentioned the OKCA. :)

spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Lil temp?
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
remnar

Post by remnar »

spydieh0le wrote:Lil temp?
The Lil Temp has a compression lock so I know it wasn't a Lil Temp. I think SpyderNut nailed it with the "Joule".
endgame

Post by endgame »

Pics?
remnar

Post by remnar »

endgame wrote:Pics?
Because It's a prototype I wasn't allowed to take pics of it and so far I haven't found any floating around on the net. This probably means that it is still far from being produced because they do allow you to take pictures of protos that are close to being released.