Why doesn't Spyderco sell replacement parts?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
average-Joe

Re: Why doesn't Spyderco sell replacement parts?

Post by average-Joe »

I'd give away free parts all day if I was #2 best
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea, guns need to be cleaned and serviced or they explode on the user. Knives only rust and occasionally the lock fails if severely lodged with grime. There is a case for knives you can and cannot take apart. There are plenty of pinned slipjoints and lockbacks that have been kicking it for 30+ years.

I've personally never needed to take a knife apart. Warm/hot water, soap, mineral oil, compressed air (duster), etc. If I needed something a bit more care-free a Salt would probably be my pick. That or a fixed blade. I believe you can still get the Delica4 and Endura4 repair kit straight from Spyderco; maybe that would be a good path for the self-repairers.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Blerv wrote:Yea, guns need to be cleaned and serviced or they explode on the user. Knives only rust and occasionally the lock fails if severely lodged with grime. There is a case for knives you can and cannot take apart. There are plenty of pinned slipjoints and lockbacks that have been kicking it for 30+ years.

I've personally never needed to take a knife apart. Warm/hot water, soap, mineral oil, compressed air (duster), etc. If I needed something a bit more care-free a Salt would probably be my pick. That or a fixed blade. I believe you can still get the Delica4 and Endura4 repair kit straight from Spyderco; maybe that would be a good path for the self-repairers.
There are plenty of guns that have been kicking it for 30 plus years with no maintenance or cleaning out there too lol.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Spydergirl88 wrote:There are plenty of guns that have been kicking it for 30 plus years with no maintenance or cleaning out there too lol.
A very fair point =)!

It's like everything in life, following recommended use and maintenance by the manufacturer is paramount. Once you do something that is considered outside the design philosophy there is a greater chance of failure and potentially warranty problems.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Blerv wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:There are plenty of guns that have been kicking it for 30 plus years with no maintenance or cleaning out there too lol.
A very fair point =)!

It's like everything in life, following recommended use and maintenance by the manufacturer is paramount. Once you do something that is considered outside the design philosophy there is a greater chance of failure and potentially warranty problems.
Take care of your stuff and it should take care of you. That's what I like to say :p
Spydergirl88
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Blerv wrote:
A very fair point =)!

Take care of your stuff and it should take care of you. That's what I like to say :p
Which is precisely why my father taught me to always change the oil in my vehicles every 3,000 miles and rotate the tires every 10,000. ;) Keeps the engine running smoothly and tires from balding prematurely.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I may be an exception, but I have ordered knives just for the parts. Parted them out and fixed my primary blade and then sold the parts on Ebay. I am sure manufacturers hate this, but I have done it. I have also profited by doing this, not on purpose...Hmmmm.

I personally hate sending a knife back. That's just me.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

dubya3 wrote:I too would like to be able to buy a part if I needed one. I like to fix my own toys if it's a knife, gun, dirtbike or whatever. It's kind of odd their policy is taking a knife apart will void the warranty and they advise against it, won't sell small parts but for awhile actually sold Endura and Delica parts kits. Weird.
I never did understand the parts kit for a knife your not supposed to take apart.

Using the kit would void the warranty.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

average-Joe wrote:What new items in life can you take apart then expect a warranty?
Chris Reeve Knives. They even send you a tube of Loctite, pivot grease and the tools needed to take apart and reassemble the knives yourself. They will also warranty a knife that's been taken apart (as long as it's not modded with a dermel or something) no questions asked usually.

ETA: CRK actually suggests the owner gets familiar with their knives and services the knife themselves, like many gun companies do. I can see why Spyderco wouldn't want to warranty a knife that Joe Schmo bought at a yard sale for $5 and funked it up. Knives are a bit different from guns as pretty much anyone can afford and legally buy one which means more idiots that own a Spyderco than people who spend $500-$1000 on a pistol. Normally, the more money you spend on an item the less likely you'll be to try and "fix er yourself", at least that's my train of thought.
Last edited by dubya3 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

It was a Rhetorical question. However if you need parts you need parts they charge you. Hence the price list on their website.
Last edited by average-Joe on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Spydergirl88 wrote: There are plenty of guns that have been kicking it for 30 plus years with no maintenance or cleaning out there too lol.
Just because it's true doesn't make it right!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

awa54 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote: There are plenty of guns that have been kicking it for 30 plus years with no maintenance or cleaning out there too lol.
Just because it's true doesn't make it right!
I hear ya! Just saying lots of people are ignorant or just don't care about maintenance in all forms. But at the end of the day it's theirs to abuse and all we can do is sigh to ourselves lol
Spydergirl88
hom76

Post by hom76 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:This is way more of an issue for our friends overseas really. Flat rate shipping in the states is pretty cheap. For the folks that have to pay international shipping this is a bummer for sure. I live right next to the SFO so I just have to stop by on my lunch break so I am spoiled. ;)
You are so lucky man!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
awa54 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote: I hear ya! Just saying lots of people are ignorant or just don't care about maintenance in all forms. But at the end of the day it's theirs to abuse and all we can do is sigh to ourselves lol
Yup, once saw the inside of a Ford Crown Vic cylinder head that looked like the grating on a well seasoned (but not well cleaned) charcoal grill... owner bought the car and drove it for 90,000+ miles, no oil changes the whole time.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
toyman9600

Post by toyman9600 »

I'm not blaming Spyderco for anything. I was stupid enough to try and clean my gummed up knife by disassembling it in the field and losing the stop pin. $25 my seem like a lot to fix a $50 knife, but I have only myself to blame for not being careful in the first place. On the other hand, $25 is not an outrageous sum to pay to have the knife professionally repaired and put back into working order.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

dubya3 wrote:
Chris Reeve Knives. They even send you a tube of Loctite, pivot grease and the tools needed to take apart and reassemble the knives yourself. They will also warranty a knife that's been taken apart (as long as it's not modded with a dermel or something) no questions asked usually.

ETA: CRK actually suggests the owner gets familiar with their knives and services the knife themselves, like many gun companies do. I can see why Spyderco wouldn't want to warranty a knife that Joe Schmo bought at a yard sale for $5 and funked it up. Knives are a bit different from guns as pretty much anyone can afford and legally buy one which means more idiots that own a Spyderco than people who spend $500-$1000 on a pistol. Normally, the more money you spend on an item the less likely you'll be to try and "fix er yourself", at least that's my train of thought.
It's deeper than that but I totally agree with your view and statement. Spyderco knives are made with tight tolerances but not nearly as tight as a Sebenza. When everything is trued on a level that makes NASA look sloppy they fit back together like legos the first time. Items that are a bit less precise need to be tuned by an experienced hand. Similar to torquing on a wheel via lugnuts you are aligning it on a micro-level as you go.

I adore CRK's. That said, when you are selling knives for $375+ and only have a few SKU's you can dial-in on precision all day long and deal with an occasional needy customer. Spyderco cuts 5-15 models every year; some are different edge types of the same model but still that's a bunch of change with the fleet. If they had to keep up with that same level of expectation the costs would be many times higher and/or the company would go out of business. That and I expect they sell 10/1 or 100/1 of every Sebenza (probably more) so the W&R department would have to look like Santa's Workshop.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

toyman9600 wrote:I understand what you are saying. It's just that it doesn't really make sense to go to the expense of sending the knife in and paying the fee to have you replace a part that I freely admit was lost due to my carelessness and then paying for you to return it to me. This will probably bring the bill close to the price I can buy a new knife for. I'm not sure how frequently you change the size of a stop pin for a Resilience knife, but I'm sure even if I bought several different size pins, the cost would be less than shipping the knife back to the factory.
In a world where a hot cup of coffee is worth $640,000 plus probably that amount again in lawyers fees, Spyderco's position is just good common sense. As a society, we've decided that manufacturers and other vendors are responsible for customer stupidity. If a cup of coffee can cost a company ~$1.5 million, think what an improperly reassembled knife that causes an injury is worth. You and I and most of the rest of the people here may be exceptions to the rule (or maybe not? ;) ) but companies have to take account (literally) of the lowest common denominator.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:Yea, guns need to be cleaned and serviced or they explode on the user. Knives only rust and occasionally the lock fails if severely lodged with grime. There is a case for knives you can and cannot take apart. There are plenty of pinned slipjoints and lockbacks that have been kicking it for 30+ years.

This is true (about firearms), but more guns wind up damaged from poorly performed maintenance than from neglect, I'd bet. ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JNewell wrote:

This is true (about firearms), but more guns wind up damaged from poorly performed maintenance than from neglect, I'd bet. ;)
Oh good point.. :eek:
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

toyman9600 wrote:I'm not blaming Spyderco for anything. I was stupid enough to try and clean my gummed up knife by disassembling it in the field and losing the stop pin. $25 my seem like a lot to fix a $50 knife, but I have only myself to blame for not being careful in the first place. On the other hand, $25 is not an outrageous sum to pay to have the knife professionally repaired and put back into working order.
Toyman - I had the same thing happen with my Persistence last night. Was cleaning it and lost the stop pin. I called the repair center and they said since it is a China made Spydie (like Ambit, ten, and res) they do not even carry the right size stop pin to fix it. So, you may want to call before you send in your check.

I can not find any replacement stop pins online, ebay, etc. So, I think we have 2 dead knives. My fault as well, the lanyard connection was a real pain to separate and when I finally pryed it apart my stop pin went flying into the vastness of my garage...