Prices Friends and Free Stuff

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
El Gato

Prices Friends and Free Stuff

Post by El Gato »

I hope this doesn't turn into a personal ramble, but if it gets too long I guess you're free not to read it. :D

Lot of very good and interesting discussions going on recently regarding prices, value, affordability, and MAP. A lot of good folks making a lot of good points.

Like all of us, I love my Spyderco knives, and one way or another I will try to continue obtaining the ones I really want even if I have to get a bit creative to do it. Price increases and inflation seems to effect everything in our lives and is just a fact of life. Always has been as I see it, and not much we can do about it. So I know that I can expect to pay a bit more for my knives each year but I also know that I am still getting Spyderco quality, which I personally consider second to none.

Over the years I have had many contacts with Sal and several members of the Spyderco Crew on a variety of subjects. In each and every instance I have been treated with Integrity and Shiny Footprints, as a friend and valued customer. I appreciate that, and I consider these folks as personal friends. Every one of them. And I don't turn my back on my friends over a few dollars. I will continue to buy and enjoy my Spyderco's and support my friends.

When I think about all that the good folks in Golden do for me for free it makes me wonder how they can afford to do it. I get a beautiful full color glossy catalog every year filled with good information in addition to the latest knives, mailed to me absolutely free, and all I have to do is ask for it. When I contact Christy at the SFO store and place my little order for bug decals or some other trivial purchase I always find a couple of stickers or some other little gift enclosed in the package. No charge. I can email Charlynn in Customer Service about some crazy little question and always get a prompt reply with all the information I need. Anytime. Free. I know the catalogs cost a lot to produce and mail, and I know my friends in Golden deserve to get paid for what they do for me, and the only way Sal and the Crew can accomplish that is through the price of the knives I buy. I not only get a quality product that I can enjoy for a lifetime, but all this other free stuff besides. All included in the price of my knife.

I can't do a thing about price increases or MAP or any of life's other little displeasures, but I can still manage to buy a new knife once in awhile, if I am a bit creative with my available funds, and be supportive of my friends in the process. I especially appreciate the good folks on this Forum who make it the friendly and helpful place that it is. Thanks to Sal and Spyderco, I get that for free too.
My sincere thanks to all of you.

Ramble over.......... :D
sal

Re: Prices Friends and Free Stuff

Post by sal »

Hi El Gato,

Thanx much for the kind words, interest and continued support.

sal
average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

I agree any company that cares for its customers so much and interacts much on a personal basis deserves loyalty.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey El Gato, nice post, and one that very accurately reflects my experience with the entire Spyderco crew and my thoughts on the pricing matter.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very well said, El Gato. :) I heartily agree. There are a lot of little (and not-so-little) such items that are easily overlooked, but are still very much appreciated. Kudos, my friend!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spyderco is the most professional, thoughtful company I have come across. Wonderful products made possible by wonderful people.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
remnar

Post by remnar »

Great post El Gato.

Another great thing that Spyderco provides for us is this forum. I know that there are those that probably see some of the discussions that you mention as inappropriate or just plain whining but I don't see it that way. As long as the discussions are conducted in a respectful manner I think that Sal can glean some helpful insights about his biggest fans. We often get passionate in our discussions because we care about Spyderco and we care about Spyderco for the very reasons that you mention, they go out of their way to show that they care about their customers.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

I agree El Gato.

I have always liked knives and have owned many by different makers. Sypderco, however, is a company that is in a different class. The very fact that we are all here on this forum and constantly anticipating what Spyderco will come up with next is a testament to this truth.

Regardless of differences of opinion, or questions about MAP or pricing, Spyderco remains the most interesting and innovative knife maker and its management should proud of what they have accomplished. And yes, their catalogs are also awesome -- I can hardly wait to see the 2016 edition! :D
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Well said.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Like!
Editor Emeritus

Post by Editor Emeritus »

HUZZAH, a great post for a great team. I was involved in the printing and media world long enough to know photographing, editing and the layouts in producing those catalogues on that stock and then mailing them is a serious undertaking. Brilliant.
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Well said, El Gato!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

+1,El Gato.For us in Europe the prices are even stepper then for you guys on the other side of the pond,and i still manage to buy 2-3 a year-all Spyderco-i dont have any interest in another company.Its not much,i know,but i dont NEED any new knives;i WANT them,even if it means to cut down on my Lindt dark chocolate.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

+1 from me.

The whole MAP thing passes me by in the UK.... Buy from someone like Heinnie Hayes or Mind Your Fingers (my reputable dealers of choice) and I pay not far off MSRP but with the dollar sign changed to a pound sign.
(Important note: and that's the same for ALL US Imports.... Hershey's alleged chocolate is 2-3x the price, weight for weight, as a UK or EU made bar)

Sal, Eric and myself had a good long chat about ' positive business culture' and treating staff well at the Amsterdam meet over a beer....It was unbelievably pleasing for me to hear the same type of thought processes achieving the same kind of results that we are looking for. I know when I buy whichever Spydie it is, wherever it is in the price range, has had care and attention to detail from concerned folks involved in it's build.

Also- My father, a time-served toolmaker and aerospace machinist of 45 years, still marvels at every single Spydie I hand him....He's still trying to work out how they don't leave a scratch on the screws or put the all-stainless handles together without a mark
(Though I will admit a certain amount of muttered swearing every time I hand him anything with titanium in the build....He spent 10 years hating every minute of cutting threads into it ;))
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

This is a good post. Share a lot of the same sentiments.
endgame

Post by endgame »

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000"0"00"0
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yeah... As much the recent MAP and pricing discussions remind me how much I dislike not being able to justify buying absolutely everything I want, I would be much more upset if Spyderco started to surreptitiously manufacture "down to a price" or, heaven forbid, stopped being viable, like so many old great names have done over the years.

Anyhow, let's talk about my new(ish) Yojimbo 2 (I'm a late adopter) ..... What a knife! ... It has a mean streak a mile wide, but edc' s like a Delica (nearly)! I was going to stick with only Sal's designs and was waiting for a Matriarch, but wavered, and I'm glad I did.

Nice one, Mr Janich.