Are Spyderco prices getting out of your reach?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Re: It looks like I am in minority

Post by SpeedHoles »

bh49 wrote:I didn't read all posts. Just read first and last pages. So I do not expect everybody to read mine.
When I saw this thread my first thought was:"not again". We have these types of threads every year. May be, if somebody really interested on this topic, not a bad idea to search.
I am into seriously Spydercos for last 10 years. This is my biggest hobby as of today and probably the biggest, which I ever had.
Since very first day there were Spydercos, which I couldn't afford. Just to name a few: Titanium ATR, Titanium Herbst, Jess Horn, Annuversary Delica, WTC.
Now there are many knives out of my reach, but they are even more luxury than the group, which I named.
This is the luxury brothers.
During last 10 years prices for some main stream knives went up slightly and for some like Manix and para actually went down. In addition Spyderco started to produce affordable line in China.
I will have a hard time to name one Spyderco knife with street price over $150, which somebody needs. If you want $300 knife, this is a luxury. Buy it, if you can afford. And if not and still want, take time to save money or sell your kidney :D (you have a spare :D )

I agree.

Why complain and try and hold back Spyderco from developing and producing a higher end more advanced knife like the integral Nirvana, for example? Just because I, or you, or many others cannot afford or justify that purchase price, I'm not going to expect every model they make is the same price and expect they hold back the flagship models to my Delica price range.

I wasn't into Spydercos then, but I wonder if people complained long ago when they were buying a Worker, or Hunter, then Spyderco announced the Terzuola Collaboration and it was more expensive? But now look where it has brought them.
Going back to Caly.
CanadaDude

Re: Are Spyderco prices getting out of your reach?

Post by CanadaDude »

I will just say that it would be nice if some suitable future models were to be offered in FRN, so as to keep the price affordable for those Spydielovers who don't have a lot of disposable income, that might be a good thing.
Spyderco buyers on a budget are a good market for Spyderco - there are more Enduras, Delicas, and Grasshoppers sold than there are Jess Horn sprint runs in pure 235V Unobtainium.
All my Spydercos are FRN, (a Delica, a Stretch) except for my steel Cricket and my titanium Sage. The Sage cost me $130, and I treasure it. For me, somehow, having only one Grail Knife makes that one knife seem even better; it's my Premium non-FRN Spydie - I actually have one!
I really appreciate my Sage 2. I don't really need anything more, I'm pretty much set, but I just admire Spydercos so much that it's nice to look at the new catalog and fantasize about future purchases.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

bh49 wrote:I didn't read all posts. Just read first and last pages. So I do not expect everybody to read mine.
When I saw this thread my first thought was:"not again". We have these types of threads every year. May be, if somebody really interested on this topic, not a bad idea to search.
I am into seriously Spydercos for last 10 years. This is my biggest hobby as of today and probably the biggest, which I ever had.
Since very first day there were Spydercos, which I couldn't afford. Just to name a few: Titanium ATR, Titanium Herbst, Jess Horn, Annuversary Delica, WTC.
Now there are many knives out of my reach, but they are even more luxury than the group, which I named.
This is the luxury brothers.
During last 10 years prices for some main stream knives went up slightly and for some like Manix and para actually went down. In addition Spyderco started to produce affordable line in China.
I will have a hard time to name one Spyderco knife with street price over $150, which somebody needs. If you want $300 knife, this is a luxury. Buy it, if you can afford. And if not and still want, take time to save money or sell your kidney :D (you have a spare :D )
The only knives that interest me in the lineup are priced at levels that I am unwilling to pay. Yes, I can save up but I still don't want to pay those prices and that's why I will have to do without.

And yes, this is a forum and some topics can be discussed thoroughly and those discussions will remain relevant with few things of value that can be added. There are some things that change and sometimes newer situations will make new discussions possible.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote: The only knives that interest me in the lineup are priced at levels that I am unwilling to pay. Yes, I can save up but I still don't want to pay those prices and that's why I will have to do without.
Chuck,
I totally understand you. Knives are my the only hobby. I do not spend money for guns, rounds, watches, pens. Still there are few Spydies, which I love, but cannot bring myself up to pay the price.
chuck_roxas45 wrote: And yes, this is a forum and some topics can be discussed thoroughly and those discussions will remain relevant with few things of value that can be added. There are some things that change and sometimes newer situations will make new discussions possible.
New discussions are great, but when the the same discussion coming up every year, it is just annoying. Probably it would be wiser for me just ignore such topics. Unfortunately for me after spending every day for ten years on this forum, I see more and more of these threads. :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

MarcusH wrote: That's true, but I have the feeling that the European collectors, who are willing to buy the higher-end models, are quite disappointed with Spdercos price policy.
The European prices are absolutely ridiculous, I know a lot of old Spyderco afis across the pond who started boycotting Spyderco because of that.
I doubt that any knife with a MSRP over 350$ has reasonable sales here in Europe.

Example:
The two big Spyderco retailers in Germany are trying to sell the Stretch 2 for almost the street price of a small Sebenza, converted according to the current exch! nge rate they are trying to charge 400$.
I guess they haven't sold a single one of them.
Well said, MarcusH!

Bought my last spydie approx. three years ago, still like to look at my spydies. Being interested in the more expensive high-end Spydies, I'll just pass. However, I'll always be a fan!

Cheers,
skatenut
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

bh49 wrote:
And yes, this is a forum and some topics can be discussed thoroughly and those discussions will remain relevant with few things of value that can be added. There are some things that change and sometimes newer situations will make new discussions possible.

New discussions are great, but when the the same discussion coming up every year, it is just annoying. Probably it would be wiser for me just ignore such topics. Unfortunately for me after spending every day for ten years on this forum, I see more and more of these threads. :(
Probably because the topic gets more and more relevant to more and more people as time goes by....
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I'm going to next year's seconds sale. ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
bh49 wrote:

Probably because the topic gets more and more relevant to more and more people as time goes by....
Chuck,
I was talking not about only this particular topic, but about several like: flipping knives, using sharpmaker, grittiness of Caly and several others.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

FCM415 wrote:I'm going to next year's seconds sale. ;)
I wish I would be within driving distance. For cost of airfare alone I can buy few knives.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

bh49 wrote: Chuck,
I was talking not about only this particular topic, but about several like: flipping knives, using sharpmaker, grittiness of Caly and several others.
I guess you're a "forum vet" now. :D
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bh49 wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:
bh49 wrote:

Chuck,
More flexible/powerful forum search functions might change the thread count, but new forumites are always going to want to dig up those topics and have their own say or question about them.

Personally "what's in your pocket today" is the one I find most tedious (even though it produces lots of great photos).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...