taichung

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
average-Joe

taichung

Post by average-Joe »

I just wanted to give praise to my Taiwan made knives. My first was a Vallotton sub hilt and it lived up to the hype. I was in the electronic repair business my entire adult life. I'm used to nitpicking the smallest design flaw and finding things in the tiniest details. I loved my Vallotton so much I bought two. Dumb I guess cause I then bought a Hungarian folder. I like it way better as a EDC knife. The quality is flawless.
Americans are often closed minded that there is a world outside our shores. A German business man once told me Americans market to America the world markets to the world. I get that and think it's true for the majority of business.
I personally don't care where my products are made. I do care who makes them however big difference. I'd pay more ensuring a child didn't make my product so I can get it cheap. I can't analyze everything I buy nor do I desire too. I won't preach but think the problems of the world can't be solved by man and history has proven that. But getting back on track these Taiwan made knives are beyond good. Their price point is high but rarely do I think I get what I'm paying for. I think these knives are worth more then I paid. I bust my butt to make a honest buck and I'm glad I didn't have to pay more. But the price point on these make them world class.
I wanted to publicly say that. Not because I'm a expert. But if it helps anyone in anyway decide to purchase one all I can say is wow.
Liquid Cobra

Re: taichung

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I echo your sentiments.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
palonej

Post by palonej »

Coming from another avg Joe.....I couldn't agree more Joe!
2 of my favorite Spydies are my Domino blue twill and my all black super sexy Southard!! I am in HVAC for more years than I care to think about and am also OCD in my work.....I can spot shoddy work from 100 paces! These 2 knives are as close to perfectly built....IMHO......as you can get! Flawless operation And super stupid sharp out of the box with beautiful even edges!
When buying Spydies, unless a PM2, Millie or Manix........I choose to buy Taiwan made. Just seems they're on another level......AGAIN.....IMHO!!
Joe
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I am very impressed by the quality of the two Taichung folders that I have. I have a Sage 2 that I edc regularly, and I recently received a CF Chaparral. I am so favorably impressed with the Chap that I just placed the order for the Blue Stepped Titanium version.
The Spyderco Taichung made knives have changed my opinion of "Made In Taiwan". I can find no faults with the ones I have.
average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

Southard keeps coming up I have to check them out. When I bought my Vallotton I honestly didn't think I'd like another as equal. So I bought 2. Wish I would of made the 2nd a Hungarian. Then I ended up saving and buying the Hungarian. Don't get me wrong I love my para 2. But my Hungarian I don't know as a EDC I feel more sophisticated then I really am lol my para 2 is a no brainer. I literally live off the electric grid and use knives not just admire them. If out in the Forrest I think my para 2 is a better choice. But for everyday tasks this Hungarian is awesome and I'd use it in the woods if I had to. While the para 2 is super well made the refinement on the Taichung is second to none. I'm not rich but I have nice tastes. I don't mind busting butt to buy what I want. $500 knives aren't going to happen for me. But theses Taichung knives make me feel like I bought one even if it's just in my head.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Thanks a LOT Joe........lusting over the Hungarian now!!! Had my mind made up with a Ti Millie......ugh.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Taichung Spydies are pretty amazing indeed. :D Be sure to check out the Slysz Bowie and Techno. Those two will blow your mind! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
palonej

Post by palonej »

SSSSTTTOOOPPP!!!!! please
average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

Oh no I have to recover from my Hungarian before I go Hungry!!! Lol
I hate having ADHD it gets me into all sorts of cool things lol
I think I'll be happy with my Hungarian for awhile. I can say one thing about Internet information.
I've made a lot of buying choices based on popular opinion. And all in all yea the info has been correct. But there's a difference between correct information and the feeling you get with something in your hand. Of all the knives I've gotten this one fits my hands best.
I look at knives like tools and one brand may get my attention but they usually don't make all the tools I need. Today I was using my kabar heavy duty warthog. It's like a mini axe in your hand and I had to remove some branches a truck hit going down my drive way. I also like bushcraft type knives like moraknif and Ontario. Great for batoning wood. But for EDC folders I have found Spyderco second to none. I thought when I bought a Kershaw Leek I was doing good. As soon as I got my Endura it went bye bye.
But again these Taichungs wow. All the you tube reviews and forums don't do them justice.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Are there people in Taichung who carry Taichung made Spyderco knives?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Are there people in Taichung who carry Taichung made Spyderco knives?
I would certainly think so. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

SpyderNut wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Are there people in Taichung who carry Taichung made Spyderco knives?
I would certainly think so. :)

I imagine they get tired of looking at them. They probably drool over the Golden models. :D LOL
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

average-Joe, I have to agree with you about the Hungarian. It doesn't seem to get a lot of love on here but in my experience it's been classy as well as very functional. I field dressed and skinned two whitetails with mine last year and then had it all cleaned up and back in my pocket at work the next week. Good stuff. :)
average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

In some odd way it's like my para 2, just a classy version lol
endgame

Post by endgame »

Simply the best with the best all around steel vg10.I do like golden but I have gotten lemons and flaws from golden.I never ever had one problem with thaiching models.perfect fit and finish.the thai will never let a bad knife ship.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wait. Does Taichung make VG10 bladed knives?
average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

I have never gotten any flaws from golden. I haven't enough knives either that I should of. I've read other threads about these. I find it funny we live in a world people think where your mother happen to born you makes one place better or worse. Like we have anything at all to do with our nationality. A small group of people in each land run each land. The vast majority of us have nothing to do with that either. As long as ignorance thrives with small minds hatred will be a reality.
endgame

Post by endgame »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Wait. Does Taichung make VG10 bladed knives?
Yes they do
endgame

Post by endgame »

average-Joe wrote:I have never gotten any flaws from golden. I haven't enough knives either that I should of. I've read other threads about these. I find it funny we live in a world people think where your mother happen to born you makes one place better or worse. Like we have anything at all to do with our nationality. A small group of people in each land run each land. The vast majority of us have nothing to do with that either. As long as ignorance thrives with small minds hatred will be a reality.
?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

endgame wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Wait. Does Taichung make VG10 bladed knives?
Yes they do
What would these be? I'm not aware of any Taiwan knives with Japanese steels...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King