Hawkbill vs. sheepsfoot for rescue and personal safety on a sailboat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
noeps

Hawkbill vs. sheepsfoot for rescue and personal safety on a sailboat

Post by noeps »

I am trying to figure out which of the shapes, the hawkbill or the narrow, straight sheepsfoot is best for freeing oneself and others (in that order) from various potential hazards of sailing. I personally am particularly interested in the smaller Saver Salt and Tasman knives, rather than the Pacific, Atlantic, and Assist of the salt series.

Advantages of sheepsfoot:
-Thicker and tougher at the end
-can cut against a flat surface, such as the length of a leg if multiple lines were wrapped around it tight.
-less likely to accidentally stab a person or a deck, or a line, etc.

Advantages of hawkbill:
-Can pierce more effectively, so if one were tangled in a downed sail, or similar obstruction, it seems this would be better. The highly pronounced sheepsfoot on the Saver seems an especially poor piercer.
-has perhaps more utility on a boat, such as cleaning a fish, has perhaps more general utility because of the fine control and piercing/tearing ability afforded by the sharp PE tip

In some ways, the Salt I is a compromise, but what it lacks is the narrow blade design that can fit in tight spaces, which I think is an important aspect of a rescue knife. If you are willing to overlook this problem with thick blades, the Dragonfly Salt SE is another possible contender.

What do you think?
PM1

Re: Hawkbill vs. sheepsfoot for rescue and personal safety on a sailboat

Post by PM1 »

I have a Tasman Salt SpyderEdge and an Enuff Salt SpyderEdge (which was designed as a sheepsfoot).

I love the Tasman and think it is an excellent design. Since the material being cut is gathered into the curved portion of the blade, I feel that much more cutting pressure is applied while pull-cutting with such a design. I also much prefer having a tip that can aggressively pierce, which is exactly what the Tasman has. It is super easy to open as well. The weight and ergonomics are both great.

As far as the sheepsfoot Enuff Salt goes, I disliked the sheepfoot so much that I reground the whole thing into a Wharncliffe. I know some people like the sheepsfoot design, but not me. My modified/pointy Enuff Salt does suit me better than before; however, I still much prefer the Tasman.

I haven't handled the Saver Salt, so I won't comment on that knife.

That's my $0.02 worth.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I just ordered three Pacific Salts for Marine Duty Police....they are thrilled with the knife for EDC on the Boat....Doc:)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm somewhat surprised that Spyderco has never offered a "Rescue Hawkbill" folder, by which I mean a hawkbill blade with an intentionally blunt and rounded "butter knife" style tip, like the Whale Rescue blade's.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

Love my harpy designed for marine use.
noeps

Post by noeps »

PM1 wrote: As far as the sheepsfoot Enuff Salt goes, I disliked the sheepfoot so much that I reground the whole thing into a Wharncliffe. I know some people like the sheepsfoot design, but not me.
Might I inquire as to what it what about the sheepsfoot that bothered you?
PM1

Post by PM1 »

noeps wrote:
PM1 wrote: As far as the sheepsfoot Enuff Salt goes, I disliked the sheepfoot so much that I reground the whole thing into a Wharncliffe. I know some people like the sheepsfoot design, but not me.
Might I inquire as to what it what about the sheepsfoot that bothered you?
I didn't mind the looks of the sheepsfoot. Because of that, I bought 3 of them: Enuff Salt, Salt 1 and Pingo. As time went by I found they were getting less and less pocket time. Eventually, they were all abandoned. I just much prefer a knife to be stabby for the activities that I use them for. In the beginning I didn't think the sheepsfoot would be a problem, but in the end, it turned into a deal breaker.

Therefore, all 3 of these knives have since been reground to make them pointy and all are a more useful shape as a result.

When knives can both pierce and slice, why pick a knife that can only slice?
Attachments
DSC01690.jpeg
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

The Deacon wrote:I'm somewhat surprised that Spyderco has never offered a "Rescue Hawkbill" folder, by which I mean a hawkbill blade with an intentionally blunt and rounded "butter knife" style tip, like the Whale Rescue blade's.
That would be great for Swift water rescue! Personally I think the Atlantic salt is the perfect knife for the job. The first tooth on the serrations punctures just fine in cloth and other materials.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I was about to post a similar question, except I was thinking more about rigging and other onboard maintenance, rather that emergency use. Is H1 really needed? I don't get corrosion problems with a normal stainless folder at the moment and in fact I have a carbon steel Mora onboard.
---------
Tony S
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:I'm somewhat surprised that Spyderco has never offered a "Rescue Hawkbill" folder, by which I mean a hawkbill blade with an intentionally blunt and rounded "butter knife" style tip, like the Whale Rescue blade's.
I've thought about that before myself a few times over the years. I do believe that there would be a big potential market for a marine use, specialized Hawkbill blade. The safety tip you describe wouldn't be high on my list but I could see how it could be helpful in certain situations.

In the past I've lobbied for a fixed blade Hawkbill and I'm becoming more convinced that a marine use fixed blade Hawkbill blade along with a fixed blade Sheepsfoot would make a great kit/pair for sailor's and first responders both IMO.

Once more people learn of the valuable potential and huge range of usefullness of Hawkbill blades I have no doubt that they will sell much better as time goes on.

One other idea that appeals to me would be to have a Dyad type model with a full SE Hawkbill and a full SE Sheepsfoot. That would make an ideal sailor's and first responder's knife as well.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would add this JD. A Spyderco with three blades for the above stated purpose: A serrated Hawkbill, a serrated Sheepsfoot, and, a serrated drop point or pointed saber ground blade like the Pacific Salt, all in the same knife.

And make sure it has shackle key on it and marlinspike. So you have five blades.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Flatiron salt anyone?
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:And make sure it has shackle key on it and marlinspike. So you have five blades.
Do you guys actually use a Marlinspike? I have one in the rigging box, but I'm not sure I've ever used it. I mostly use hollow fids, or a Swedish fid for larger ropes. Maybe for wire?
---------
Tony S
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

I think NOEPS needs to toughen up and carry a Warrior in H1 :D
Admittedly I don't CARRY it, but it lives in my Bailout Bag and hope it never gets used for intended purpose. It does however shave leg hair with the serrations very well. Who'd have thought? :)

I do carry a Pacific Salt P.E. clipped to my Harness and 1x in my Kayaking Bouyancy aid. Both TIED on.

Thought hard about pros/cons of plain versus serrated edge and decided that versatility of plain edge would get more use. My Buoyancy Aid
Knife gets used for Fishing as well. Gilling and gutting mostly.

I my experience, when a line is under tension, just putting a sharp knife near it, is likely to sever it.
The Spyder Edge shines when line not under tension AND awkward to access. Would be brilliant for cutting through line or netting entangled in propeller for example.
Therefore, for me, the Sheepsfoot gets my vote for use as a emergency knife on person as I don't want to carry two (or four)

When COMMONLY cutting line (not Emergency) I first tape the line (polyester or nylon) Then cut it on wood with Sheepsfoot, and seal ends with Ronson blow torch.
Beats mucking around with Cig. lighter in wind ! Pre taping stops it unravelling..
Spyderedge would cut quicker, BUT leave a more messy edge.
This is the method used by Old Salts to cut even heavy line, however they battoned the blade with a Marlin spike (large).

For versatility, I EDC a other brand knife in pocket as it simply has more dohickeys to play with.
The low profile Marlin spike/shackle key is simply the bees knees for opening coconuts to drink from.
I live aboard full time.
K
jib

Post by jib »

kiwisailor wrote: For versatility, I EDC a other brand knife in pocket as it simply has more dohickeys to play with.
The low profile Marlin spike/shackle key is simply the bees knees for opening coconuts to drink from.
I live aboard full time.
K
What is the other brand you EDC on your vessel, if you don't mind my asking?
Because you said low profile marlin spike/shackle key, I was going to guess a Cobalt Boye, but then you mentioned opening coconuts so I figured it had to have a locking mechanism - maybe a Myerchin?
I like your cut
sal wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:20 pm
I work here and everyone knows who I am.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I think sheepsfoot makes more sense. Serrated straight blades are great for cutting rope (the material doesn’t slip off), just as good as a hawkbill. The insanely poky end of a hawkbill seems awkward in a sailing environment. Honestly it’s a bit of a liability on dry ground as controlling that tip requires choking up quite a ways on the blade (for me). Seems like a no brained to me, get a sheepsfoot.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:19 am
I'm somewhat surprised that Spyderco has never offered a "Rescue Hawkbill" folder, by which I mean a hawkbill blade with an intentionally blunt and rounded "butter knife" style tip, like the Whale Rescue blade's.

I'm with you on this....the idea that I would need a blunted tip to cut you out of a seat belt, but I wouldn't need the same safety while on a wet and rocking boat, possibly during a storm and in poor light, to cut myself or someone else out of some rope or whatever seems contradictory.

Personally I am more comfortable with sheepsfoot/wharncliffes. A hawkbill is no doubt superior at pull cuts but a straight serrated edge is no slouch. If I could only have one I would opt for a sheepsfoot but is there really any reason not to have both? After all, two is one and one is none. If I'm on a boat in the middle of the sea I would like a little redundancy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Salt 2 wharncliffe, if that size is okay, or why not a regular Rescue? The serrations run to the tip, and will catch like a wee hawkbill on sails, etc. for slicing into.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Sheepsfoot is safer and can cut on flat surfaces.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

jib wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:37 am
kiwisailor wrote: For versatility, I EDC a other brand knife in pocket as it simply has more dohickeys to play with.
I live aboard full time.
K
What is the other brand you EDC on your vessel, if you don't mind my asking?
Because you said low profile marlin spike/shackle key, I was going to guess a Cobalt Boye, but then you mentioned opening coconuts so I figured it had to have a locking mechanism - maybe a Myerchin?
You may not get an answer. They made four posts in November 2015 and haven't logged in here since. Interesting topic though.