Hawkbill vs. sheepsfoot for rescue and personal safety on a sailboat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Marulaghost

Re: Hawkbill vs. sheepsfoot for rescue and personal safety on a sailboat

Post by Marulaghost »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:47 pm
jib wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:37 am
kiwisailor wrote: For versatility, I EDC a other brand knife in pocket as it simply has more dohickeys to play with.
The low profile Marlin spike/shackle key is simply the bees knees for opening coconuts to drink from.
I live aboard full time.
K
What is the other brand you EDC on your vessel, if you don't mind my asking?
Because you said low profile marlin spike/shackle key, I was going to guess a Cobalt Boye, but then you mentioned opening coconuts so I figured it had to have a locking mechanism - maybe a Myerchin?
You may not get an answer. They made four posts in November 2015 and haven't logged in here since. Interesting topic though.
Oof!
jib

Post by jib »

Hey, it was worth a try!
I found both a spyderco wharnie and hawksbill to boot.
I'll keep one on me and the other handy until I decide which one to keep where (on the boat or on my person)
I like your cut
sal wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:20 pm
I work here and everyone knows who I am.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We've had a few old threads get bumped by spam lately. I fell for this one lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi, yes I'm here
The Other knife is a Victorinox Skipper, which is used for opening the "eyes" not the body..
The Skipper is a great knife, but NOT up to cracking open coconuts.
cheers, and yes, I definitely been logged in recently... probably to someone's annoyance !
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

In one of my wilder threads about 2 to 3 years ago I raised the possibility of a Hawkbill Dyad. This is now starting to make more and more sense. Especially for a folder that is geared for a person into sailing or even in the fishing industry. With the Hawkbill Dyad you could have a serrated Hawkbill blade along with a blunted end RESCUE type blade as your second blade.

And target market it to people into sailing, The fishing industry and for first responders.. There would be plenty people whose jobs would find such a folder very handy. And by the way have both blades serrated/Spyderedged.

Or you could have a Hawkbill Dyad with two Hawkbill blades>> one with a point like most of Spyderco's Hawkbill blades and the other with a blunt rounded end.

As far as just looking at the two blade types from a personal safety standpoint. As much as I hate to admit it I would have to go with a RESCUE type blade with a rounded/blunt end like one of the ASSIST models. But I still think that a Hawkbill Dyad could have possibilities.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I feel like the grip would be terrible for a hawkbill dyad. Maybe make a very shallow hawkbill blade. It would just kill ergonomics when using the other blade. They could possibly grind finger grooves into the back like the assist.