AEB-L -steel, my new favorite

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

AEB-L -steel, my new favorite

Post by elena86 »

I just used a fixed blade knife in AEB-L steel and I need to make a statement: it's my all time favorite stainless steel.I allready had great experience with 13C26 Sandvick in my Kershaw Leeks and this new experience just clarified things for me.For the time being, AEB-L(13C26) and CPM-Cruwear(looking forward for 52100) are my favorite steels on both sides of the spectrum.I only wish Spyderco release a few folders in this awesome steel.I hope I'm not the only one.
Donut

Re: AEB-L -steel, my new favorite

Post by Donut »

Sal said that they are going to look at using Sandvik on some of the China models.

Right here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=67857&start=20#p1049262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

AEB-L is Bohler-Udderholm, which Spyderco already uses in the Italian product and a few Golden made knives.

AEB-L UKPK anyone?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I have a nice B&T in AEB-L made by Joshua Gallardo *joshrg" on blade forum. He does beautiful work. The knife is razor sharp and he makes beautiful handles. Haven't used it much so I can't really comment on the steel. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... n-Micarta-(EDC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)***?highlight=bird+trout
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have been really happy with my knives in 8cr13mov and aeb-l/13c26. While I have a lot of mid to higher end knives, especially from Spyderco, I am also all for models that provide a lot of bang for the buck and keep costs down.

In general, I've gotten to the point were most steels are "easy" for me to touch up, but if that is the case then I can say steels like aeb-l are "super easy" and I can achieve a higher sharpness with less effort.

This custom by KWB in aeb-l is my favorite small fixed blade, although the steel is just one of many factors in that:

That Gallardo looks pretty sweet as well.
:spyder:
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

elena86 wrote:I hope I'm not the only one.
I'm an obnoxiously vocal fan of stainless, Swedish strip steels.
Donut wrote:Sal said that they are going to look at using Sandvik on some of the China models.

Right here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=67857&start=20#p1049262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. Very great news even though the 8Cr13MoV seems really nice.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I have quite a few blades in AEB-L. I think it's a fantastic steel that if hardened properly gets a good combination of edge retention and toughness plus takes a fantastic edge! The problem is that in production runs they may be underhardened which would limit edge retention.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

elena86 wrote:I just used a fixed blade knife in AEB-L steel and I need to make a statement: it's my all time favorite stainless steel.I allready had great experience with 13C26 Sandvick in my Kershaw Leeks and this new experience just clarified things for me.For the time being, AEB-L(13C26) and CPM-Cruwear(looking forward for 52100) are my favorite steels on both sides of the spectrum.I only wish Spyderco release a few folders in this awesome steel.I hope I'm not the only one.
8cr13mov is actually pretty close to 13c26, trades some edge stability for a slightly higher carbide content. For the price, Spyderco's 8cr13mov is unbeatable, far, far superior to Kershaw's Sandvik, which they severely under-harden.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

can't freehand wrote:
elena86 wrote:I just used a fixed blade knife in AEB-L steel and I need to make a statement: it's my all time favorite stainless steel.I allready had great experience with 13C26 Sandvick in my Kershaw Leeks and this new experience just clarified things for me.For the time being, AEB-L(13C26) and CPM-Cruwear(looking forward for 52100) are my favorite steels on both sides of the spectrum.I only wish Spyderco release a few folders in this awesome steel.I hope I'm not the only one.
8cr13mov is actually pretty close to 13c26, trades some edge stability for a slightly higher carbide content. For the price, Spyderco's 8cr13mov is unbeatable, far, far superior to Kershaw's Sandvik, which they severely under-harden.
No sir.It's not pretty close and has nothing to do with the fact that Kershaw used to run their 13C26 quite low.The thread was about AEB-L in a custom knife anyway.The structure of AEB-L does not contain chromium carbides which is good, cutting edge has a very good stability, easy to maintain, high level of atainable sharpness and decent edge retention.I was refering to Kershaw Leek just because it's the only folder in 13C26 I ever used.In fact AEB-L is developed by Uddeholm and than copied by Sandvick under the name of 13C26.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

elena86 wrote:he thread was about AEB-L in a custom knife anyway.The structure of AEB-L does not contain chromium carbides which is good, cutting edge has a very good stability, easy to maintain, high level of atainable sharpness and decent edge retention.I was refering to Kershaw Leek just because it's the only folder in 13C26 I ever used.In fact AEB-L is developed by Uddeholm and than copied by Sandvick under the name of 13C26.
About carbides, yes, that's what I said, and its a slight difference bc the carbon difference is about .2.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

AEB-L/14C28N at good HRC of 62 and 61 respectfully with cryo treatment is really something else. Shame not more people really experience these steels with such heat treatments.
me2

Post by me2 »

I wonder where the information came from that AEB-L has no chromium carbides? No source I've seen makes that claim, and many sources tout its fine distribution of small chromium carbides.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Maybe it was meaning no extra-huge, chromium carbides like in 440C?
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

me2 wrote:I wonder where the information came from that AEB-L has no chromium carbides?
It would be easily possible to harden it in such a manner, you likely would not like it however because of the difficulties with very high levels of retained austenite and loss of hardness/strength/toughness.

AEB-L is an interesting steel as it is basically a stainless version of steels like 52100.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

[quote="Zenith"]AEB-L/14C28N at good HRC of 62 and 61 respectfully with cryo treatment is really something else. Shame not more people really experience these steels with such heat treatments.[/quote

Exactly