Opening the Positron

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flash900

Opening the Positron

Post by flash900 »

Has anyone tried to trim a bit more out of the cutout to make it easier to open one-handed with your thumb on the blade?

I can do this some of the time (possibly because my thumb is so strong after breaking in an Emerson Sheepdog -- with one of the stickiest, pain-in-the-*** locks I have ever handled!)

While the flipper on the Positron works great, I enjoy opening the Positron manually. It reminds me of the old-style Chris Reeve Mnandi, which you can open one-handed with its nail nic. (CRK changed the nail nic design in 2012 so new Mnandis are two-hand opening only.)

Has anyone tried taking a bit out of the cutout? (And thanks for the hint elsewhere about working with CF.)
APS

Re: Opening the Positron

Post by APS »

hmm hadn't even thought of that. I use the flipper but can also open it the same way as the new Mnandi. Pinch the hole between thumb and middle finger, start the rotation and finish the rotation with the thumb pad.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

APS, that's a good suggestion.....I prefer to use just my thumb -- placed on the blade approximately at the small Spydie hole and then sliding out the blade.

It takes a bit of dexterity and probably the right shaped thumb......I can't do that consistently because not enough of the blade is exposed when closed.....That's why I ask if anyone has trimmed the cutout to expose more of the blade.

Thanks.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Don't know if this has been done on the Positron, but several people including me added more relief to the Gayle Bradley folder allowing easier access to the spydie hole. There is a thread with pics on the forum.