Custom Shop

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dubya3

Re: Custom Shop

Post by dubya3 »

MichaelScott wrote:I don't like the idea. I think Spyderco's design philosophies, R&D and manufacturing quality are exactly right for bringing quality tools for specific tasks or range of requirements, then staying with those elements to test, criticize and eventually change those tools in order to improve the design and reason for being in the first place. The kind of "custom shop" proposed here is more like a knife boutique where you can design whatever you want, without regard to actual functional design in the first place.

I say keep the effort where it has always been: quality cutting tools based on intelligent design.
Agreed. I also think a custom shop would kind of defeat the purpose of sprints, some of them anyway.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Is this where I put in my order? Yup? OK then. I will take a Para2 with M4 and green canvas micarta scales drilled for right hand tip down only. Thank you!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You bring up a good point. Would the custom shop have to ban orders that are previous sprints? I am sure collectors would be mad if I ordered a Para2 with CF and S90V. Same would go for dealer exclusives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

While we appreciate the suggestion, and believe it would be interesting, as Deacon, Yab and others have mentioned, it would be very distracting to our normal product development. Thanx for the thought though.

sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sal, I honestly don't know how you don't have a line around the block of skilled workers applying for jobs? Maybe y'all aren't hiring but you are domiciled in a cool state and make and develop great products. Maybe you guys want to keep it smaller/more manageable? Not complaining just throwing it out there!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi TBD,

We try hard to control both company size and skill of workers. Most people skilled enough to make custom knives are making custom knives.

sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sal, - long story short, a member on a gun forum that I frequent is stating that he has 25 years as a supplier to the knife industry and further states that Spyderco makes some knives in the USA and the balance on China. Of course he left out Japan and Taiwan but on a whole what % of Spydies are produced in China would you say?
Thanx!