I only have a few knives, but I'm happy. Am I crazy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

I only have a few knives, but I'm happy. Am I crazy?

Post by mad german »

Hey all,

I've been thinking about my "collection" lately and it's paltry compared to what a lot of your guys have. But, the thing is, I like carrying the ones that I have an awful lot. The ones that get the most pocket time are my Spyderco PM2, Spyderco Native 5 G-10, and my newly acquired Benchmade 15060-2 (Grizzly Creek). I've got a couple of Delicas, a few Bucks and a really nice Cold Steel American Lawman with some great file work done on it, but those knives just don't "do it for me" like the main three I listed. Unless something really, and I mean really grabs my attention, I'm fine with what I have. Does that make me weird?

I'm wondering how many of you guys really only carry a few different knives, like your favorite 2 or 3. Even if you have many more knives than I do, do you typically only carry your favorite 2 or 3? I've seen some pretty cool knives, but they wouldn't be too practical to carry, and if I'm buying a knife, I like to carry it. I was never much of a collector, only letting them see daylight once in a while.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
SA
My collection is ever changing!
Holzfaeller

Re: I only have a few knives, but I'm happy. Am I crazy?

Post by Holzfaeller »

I thinned my knife herd down to a few old favorites that I carry and use plus two oldies that I keep just to admire. Otherwise, when I rotate my knife-of-the-day, it's like getting reacquainted with an old friend. Like you, I don't see any knives that grab my attention more than what I already have. Really, two pocket knives would be enough, but fortunately, we tend to buy more than we need and the knife business thrives because of it.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Yeah mad, I too only carry a select few. I would be money ahead if I'd followed your example. Ones I'm carrying lately are:

FRN Native PE Saber Grind - Was always in my pocket until the next two.
Kershaw Knockout Stonewash- Retirement gift from a friend.
Kershaw Rainbow Chive for dress - Another present.

I do collect though what I really want a complete set of is nearly impossible/cost prohibitive to compile. I do love sharp edged tools so I have amassed a pile of knives. Spyderco being the main focus, though do enjoy other brands as well.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

No, you're not crazy at all. There's nothing wrong with bei ng content with what you have. ;) I too have really slowed down on my knife purchasing in the past year or so--mainly because I am well past the point of "needing" another knife. :rolleyes: Nowadays, I usually reserve my purchase for something unique or rare. I've got enough EDC options to last me several lifetimes.

By the way, I think I need another Ladybug... :D :o
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I'd say you're the sane one ;)

At least my "collection" is all users, that's how I (try to) justify the excess to myself.
Last edited by awa54 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote: By the way, I think I need another Jester... :D :o
Michael,
I fixed that for you :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I only have one Techno, and I've stuck with it for the past two years after carrying a PM2 for the year before that. It's still way more knife than most people around me carry.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I thinned my collection down last year when I needed cash, but it's starting to grow again.

Realistically, I only carry the chaparral, dragonfly, and delica on a regular basis
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I used to buy many more knives to compare with now. Sometime to have full set, sometimes due to insanity of this Forum, sometimes just because Wouter making great pictures and made me want this blade :D
So about a year ago I decided to sell all knives, which do not do anything for me anymore. Still about 40 left, but I carry only few:
2013 forum Native (most used and abused), Ti fluted N5, N5 with desert Iron wood scales, G10/VG10 Caly3.5, C83 Persian, Memory and grey Jester. Once in a while Kopa Cocobolo, Orange Ladybug or Moki Glory.
Waiting for Shaman.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

Holland wrote:I thinned my collection down last year when I needed cash, but it's starting to grow again.
+1
I have to admit the same. I counted how many knives I bought in 2015 and found out that it is many more than I thought :o

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: By the way, I think I need another Jester... :D :o
Michael,
I fixed that for you :D
Bless you, Roman. You know exactly what I need! :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:I used to buy many more knives to compare with now. Sometime to have full set, sometimes due to insanity of this Forum, sometimes just because Wouter making great pictures and made me want this blade :D
So about a year ago I decided to sell all knives, which do not do anything for me anymore. Still about 40 left, but I carry only few:
2013 forum Native (most used and abused), Ti fluted N5, N5 with desert Iron wood scales, G10/VG10 Caly3.5, C83 Persian, Memory and grey Jester. Once in a while Kopa Cocobolo, Orange Ladybug or Moki Glory.
Waiting for Shaman.
Yes! The Shaman cannot come quickly enough. ;) Maybe Santa will bring us a couple if we're really, really good and on our best behavior?? :D

brick

Post by brick »

Not crazy. I have a handful of knives (OK, a generous handful, but we're talking 10 not 100), each of which serves its purpose, and I'm completely content with them. 95% of the time I'm carrying one of my 4 favorites (FRN and Ti Pingos, FRN Urban, and the truly excellent Chaparral). I completely get the desire for one of everything but I don't think that's necessarily a path to happiness. Having a good blade in my right front pocket 100% of the time has proven to be plenty satisfying.
Last edited by brick on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tim
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have two Delica 4s, one Dragonfly 2, one PM2 (temporarily), an original Buck Ranger since about 1975 and that's it. I always carry a Delica, and sometimes also the Dragonfly. I'm saying 'adios' to the PM2 and if I should "need" a larger folder, I'll get a Tenacious. The old Buck Ranger is part of the family and retired.

If I had plenty of disposable income, I'd likely have a number of different Spyderco knives just because I like them. But having a few excellent knives is all I really need.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
araneae

Post by araneae »

I sometimes wish I could be happy with just a few, then I tell myself variety is the spice of life. Really, my budget is the big limiting factor, if I could buy more I probably would and I'd try to carry them all (not at once).
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

MichaelScott wrote:I have two Delica 4s, one Dragonfly 2, one PM2 (temporarily), an original Buck Ranger since about 1975 and that's it. I always carry a Delica, and sometimes also the Dragonfly. I'm saying 'adios' to the PM2 and if I should "need" a larger folder, I'll get a Tenacious. The old Buck Ranger is part of the family and retired.

If I had plenty of disposable income, I'd likely have a number of different Spyderco knives just because I like them. But having a few excellent knives is all I really need.
Given the knives to which you seem to gravitate Michael, I bet you would be a fan of the Chaparral. Not trying to help you spend your money, just sayin... :cool:
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Surfingringo wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:I have two Delica 4s, one Dragonfly 2, one PM2 (temporarily), an original Buck Ranger since about 1975 and that's it. I always carry a Delica, and sometimes also the Dragonfly. I'm saying 'adios' to the PM2 and if I should "need" a larger folder, I'll get a Tenacious. The old Buck Ranger is part of the family and retired.

Given the knives to which you seem to gravitate Michael, I bet you would be a fan of the Chaparral. Not trying to help you spend your money, just sayin... :cool:
Agreed. I think the Chaparral would be an excellent choice to consider. Good suggestion. ;)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Not crazy yet, but you will be. You'll go crazy thinking about more knives to buy, then you'll buy them and want to buy more. Then you'll start selling some to buy even more. It goes like this for a long time. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not crazy at all, you're blessed. The rest of us (well, more them than me) who buy up every knife they lust after are slaves to our own wants. Like Tyler Durden said "the things you own, own you". I probably have 20-25 Spyderco's including duplicate/backup blades and my Ladybugs, and while all of them have and will get used, not many of them get carried regularly because I've just fine honed my EDC needs to very specific models. But, those other knives either wouldn't sell for much if I tried or are too dear to me to part with, so I guess they're my "collection".
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

El Gato wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

Agreed. I think the Chaparral would be an excellent choice to consider. Good suggestion. ;)
No doubt. I've gazed at, fondled, studied, considered, analyzed and pondered deeply and wearily over the Chaparral. I do love my DF2 as my small blade, and consider it to be functionally, and esthetically the less expensive mate for the Chaparral. Someday, when funds permit, I don't doubt that one will find its way home. Amazing design and execution and it's about my favorite size now for a frequent carry knife.

OK. Stop. Take slow breaths. Walk away from the computer now...
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation