New Spyderco for 2016: The Introvert Flipper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What are your top 2 blade steel picks for the new Spyderco Introvert Flipper

Super Blue -- easy to sharpen carbon steel
19%
HAP40 -- similar to the very popular M4
16%
VG10 -- a Spyderco go-to stainless steel
37%
Hitachi White -- very pure carbon steel
10%
ZDP-189 -- high hardness and edge retention
10%
Super Gold -- high-end powdered tool steel
7%
Other (please specify below)
1%

Total votes: 70

JAfromMN

Re: New Spyderco for 2016: The Introvert Flipper

Post by JAfromMN »

I'm sure it's just me.

Hey I can't like them all

I wish I could nail down what I don't like it's not the finger hole.

Now back to topic.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Surfingringo wrote:Honestly, I think vg10 is probably the right steel for this one. Like you I find the price tag a bit high and wish it were coming out at a more affordable price point. Truth is though a lower price would probably make me a buyer but a fancier steel would not.
Not having seen this before, nor the rationale for its design, I would guess that it is suitable for situations in which one needs to retain the knife in hand for certain tasks, like using two hands momentarily, or in places where dropping the knife would not be good.

Interesting design but I would want to know more and get it in hand before deciding if it would be for me. Certainly a reasonably priced but excellent steel like VG-10 would be more likely to bring it into my price range.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Blade steel is rarely a factor in my purchase decision (unless it's to complete a specific collection, etc.). Design, ergos, lock, and handle material are more important to me in my uses. I do prefer stainless in most cases, and have been more than happy with VG-10 so far.
:bug-red-white
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I voted for VG10 because of its fine balance between carbon content and stain-resistance, as well as the fact that it is a tried and true steel for Spyderco knives, and they are already well-versed in manufacturing with it. I like the design, very secure-grip to it, it looks like.

Just wondering, for those here who are not so interested in this particular knife, what are your primary reasons? It looks to me as if one plus with this one would be, you get the grippability of the Caspian Salt and similar blades, along with the versatility of a folder. The only downside I can see, based on the above picture, is the grind. I personally would prefer a saber grind, but flat is okay.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Just wondering, for those here who are not so interested in this particular knife, what are your primary reasons?
I don't like the looks of the finger hole/flipper in either position, it sticks out and looks to be in the way. I don't like the angle between the blade and the handle. The leaf shape doesn't work for me, I much prefer a Wharncliffe blade on knives like this. I don't like the price/performance point when I can use my Swick instead, the Swick being stronger, lighter, thinner, cheaper, having the same functionality, and looking better to me. Someone with different preferences than I might love the knife. Many probably do. And until you get one in hand, you just don't know. That happened to me with the Des Horn. I sat on the fence until they were disco'ed and then grabbed one. I love it and now wish I'd gotten a spare ... sometimes you just can't tell until you use a knife.

Gordon
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Just wondering, for those here who are not so interested in this particular knife, what are your primary reasons?
1. Not keen on "flippers". Relationship between Spyderhole and pivot makes me think it's more of a "trademark protector" than a comfortable alternative to the flipper. If I want to use something other than a Spyderhole opener to open my knife, I'll carry an OTF auto.

2. Not keen on "ring knives" either. I'd rather have a knife pop out of my hand than break a finger. If I was really afraid of dropping a knife, I'd opt for a wrist lanyard.

3. Too much handle, too little edge.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Looking at the pics it would appear as though it is a compression lock. At first I thought it was a back lock but I don't think that a back lock flipper will work. So that would make this a flipper with a compression lock. That should at least make somebody happy. Has there been one of them yet?

I have two real issues with this knife and it is not it's devilishly good looks. If this knife has a comp lock with a ball detent then how strong is that detent. This looks like it would have to be carried by me in my right front pocket tip up spine against the seam for me to feel comfortable and that isn't how I carry usually. It just looks like the flipper would be easy to engage inadvertently in your pocket. This is actually an issue that I have with flippers in general. They have to use locks which usually use ball detents and once a ball detent is overcome your blade is free. I think this is why so many flipper ride in front pockets tip up against the seam and that isn't my preferred way to carry. My second issue is that the lock bar cutout seems really low on the knife and doesn't look ergonomically accessible. I like my Swick and carrying fixed blades is legal where I live so I am unsure if I need this or not.

Price is an issue but it seems as though I am just being priced out of the Japanese lineup in general. There are a few I would like to pick up but can't justify. The price on this one will just make my decision easier.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Looking at the pics it would appear as though it is a compression lock. At first I thought it was a back lock but I don't think that a back lock flipper will work. So that would make this a flipper with a compression lock. That should at least make somebody happy. Has there been one of them yet?

I have two real issues with this knife and it is not it's devilishly good looks. If this knife has a comp lock with a ball detent then how strong is that detent. This looks like it would have to be carried by me in my right front pocket tip up spine against the seam for me to feel comfortable and that isn't how I carry usually. It just looks like the flipper would be easy to engage inadvertently in your pocket. This is actually an issue that I have with flippers in general. They have to use locks which usually use ball detents and once a ball detent is overcome your blade is free. I think this is why so many flipper ride in front pockets tip up against the seam and that isn't my preferred way to carry. My second issue is that the lock bar cutout seems really low on the knife and doesn't look ergonomically accessible. I like my Swick and carrying fixed blades is legal where I live so I am unsure if I need this or not.
According to what Wouter posted in his A'dam 2014 Meet thread:
Mr Blonde wrote:
gdwtvb wrote:What's the locking mechanism on the introvert? looks like it might be a compression lock, but set way back. Inquiring minds want to know. I don't know if I could buy that one without holding it, but I really want to hold it.

Grizz
It's a backlock-type. the locking action was very positive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

hmmm... Backlock-type? Now I am curious.

This is twice now that I have had no idea what I was talking about. :confused: I am just gonna sit back and watch from here. :o
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bearfacedkiller wrote:hmmm... Backlock-type? Now I am curious.

This is twice now that I have had no idea what I was talking about. :confused: I am just gonna sit back and watch from here. :o
Only twice? :) That's not too bad at all, Darby. I sometimes manage to put my foot in my mouth at least three times before breakfast! ;)
But all joshing aside, I somehow envision a split back-spring on the Introvert's lock, similar to the split-spring lock style on the SOG Twitch II. Then again, I could be way off on that too..
:rolleyes:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

zhyla wrote:Zero interest in this knife. I don't see why Spyderco would bring it to market. They won't sell many at a "user" price point and it's kind of plain compared to the more fancy collector oriented models (Rubicon, etc).
That's what's so great about Spyderco though, they make a knife for just about ANYONE. You and I don't like it but it will fill the need for someone. I usually stick up for and like their odd designs but this one is not appealing to me personally.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

dubya3 wrote:
zhyla wrote:Zero interest in this knife. I don't see why Spyderco would bring it to market. They won't sell many at a "user" price point and it's kind of plain compared to the more fancy collector oriented models (Rubicon, etc).
That's what's so great about Spyderco though, they make a knife for just about ANYONE. You and I don't like it but it will fill the need for someone. I usually stick up for and like their odd designs but this one is not appealing to me personally.

Yeah, if someone is looking for a generic conservative looking, and nondescript using knife, why are they browsing Spyderco and criticizing the rest of their catalog anyway? There are other lines and brands that may fit their desires better.
Going back to Caly.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

The 2016 Spyderco Line-up is out! The Introvert is knife C206GP on page 70 of the catalog. The winning blade steel for the poll was VG10. Spyderco's steel selection for the production model is also VG10, so the forum voters and Spyderco were apparently aligned.

Bring it on! :spyder: :cool: :spyder:
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Working at Shot and showing this piece to people it has not had mass appeal. Everyone who handled the piece reflected the clue bird landing. It had to be held to be appreciated. It is a innovative design that is functional. Please hold the piece and discover the design...Take Care...Ed
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ed Schempp wrote:Working at Shot and showing this piece to people it has not had mass appeal. Everyone who handled the piece reflected the clue bird landing. It had to be held to be appreciated. It is a innovative design that is functional. Please hold the piece and discover the design...Take Care...Ed
Having handled the knife at the Blade show I can attest to this being one you need to hold to understand. It was one of the neater designs I got to handle there. It won't be for everyone but you should definitely withhold judgement til you get your hands on one.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like it more after seeing the new pics in the catalog. I'd really like to handle one.
:bug-red-white
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet and I was hoping he would chime in, the Introvert was designed by one of our own forum members Solid State.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

My first thought when I saw this one was that it might turn out to be a sleeper that would catch on like the Balance, which I rejected at first because I thought it might not have much utility (and now I can't find one, at least in CF). If not for the high price, I would like to try this for general utility. This would make the flipper unnecessary, but but it could come in handy at times. I would like to at least hold one and see how it feels in hand. Hmmm, Spyderco making an unusual looking knife, tsk tsk, who'd 'a' thought it? :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.