What do I do now?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MattM68

What do I do now?

Post by MattM68 »

So a little over a month ago I realized my blue G-10 Domino had a problem with the lock. The lock bar would shift from about 70 perfect to 60 percent with pressure on the spine. So it feels like there's blade play when I wiggle the blade up and down. I sent the knife in, waited about a month, and finally got it back yesterday. The problem has definitely not been fixed, and it's almost worse than I remember it. They sharpened the blade, and oiled the pivot, but I don't believe they replaced the lock at insert, or did anything else.

I post this not to complain, or to make the warranty department look bad, but I honestly don't know what I should do. This was my favorite knife, and the most expensive one I've ever bought. I know the logical solution would be to send it in, but it's just been gone a month at the factory. It cost $10 to ship it out, and $5 for the return shipping. What are my options here? Is the knife just dead? I've barely ever used the knife, so this just doesn't seem right.

Thanks,

Matt
El Gato

Re: What do I do now?

Post by El Gato »

I would recommend contacting Spyderco Customer Service again and explain your feelings about the problem and that it still exists. By all means give them a chance to make things right with you. They are good folks and truly want to correct any problems you have with the knife. It is always best to allow a company's Customer Service Department to be the first to know and respond to a problem, even if the knife was just returned and still not perceived as being "right".
Contact Charlynn at Spyderco Customer Service. She is #1 with me, and a lot of others here as well. :)
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Thanks! I agree with you. Spydercos customer service has been amazing to me in the past. Never had a single problem. I'm just pretty bummed about this, and I hope I can get it fixed. I'm sure it'll all be good in the end. :)

Matt
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I can sure understand the disappointment. Don't blame you for being bummed about it as it would be frustrating to me.
All the more reason to contact Charlynn at SCS and let her work her magic. ;)
endgame

Post by endgame »

Thats the problem with frame locks with inserts they slip easly I prefer the frame lock just to be carbadized this locks tighter
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

El Gato wrote:I would recommend contacting Spyderco Customer Service again and explain your feelings about the problem and that it still exists. By all means give them a chance to make things right with you. They are good folks and truly want to correct any problems you have with the knife. It is always best to allow a company's Customer Service Department to be the first to know and respond to a problem, even if the knife was just returned and still not perceived as being "right".
Contact Charlynn at Spyderco Customer Service. She is #1 with me, and a lot of others here as well. :)
+1 My thoughts exactly. :) Charlynn is the best!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

endgame wrote:Thats the problem with frame locks with inserts they slip easly I prefer the frame lock just to be carbadized this locks tighter
A couple of questions: I thought frame locks utilized one part of the frame as the locking bar and don't have inserts, and, what is "carbonized"?

Thanks.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

While I can't speak for the Domino, never having examined one, my Titanium frame lock Military has a unique stainless steel insert firmly held in place by two screws attaching it to the locking bar and also milled into the titanium lock bar itself. I find it a nice improvement over the CRK Sebenza. The titanium frame is also milled to allow this steel insert to restrict the outward travel of the locking bar so it cannot be over extended, another nice feature.

The carburization is the hardening of the tip of the titanium locking bar to increase it's resistance to wear from use. Somewhat like heat treating a steel blade. I hope this helps. :)
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

The process in question is carbidizing.

Carbidizing puts a thin layer of carbide on to the Ti hence making it more wear resistant when the lock bar engages against the hardened S30V knife blade.

Carburizing, or carburization is a heat treatment process in which iron or steel absorbs carbon liberated when the metal is heated in the presence of a carbon bearing material, such as charcoal or carbon monoxide, with the intent of making the metal harder.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Thank you for the clarification and the good information. I stand corrected and appreciate your post.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Update on the Domino! So I contacted customer service, and they basically said there was nothing they could do for me. Since they could tell I have adjusted my pivot screw, they had assumed I took my knife apart. They said they tested the knife, and it was safe to use. I figured I had nothing to lose after that, so I disassembled the knife, and added some tension to the lockbar. This seems to have resolved the issue. I understand why they wouldn't fix my knife, but I'm still a little disappointed. Oh well! I'll survive! :)

Matt
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Well at least you tried and that's important.
Perhaps more important is the fact that you got it resolved yourself and probably learned a bit in the process. I say, "Good for you."
All's well that ends well. ;)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I was gonna say, the lockbar may have had the tension tweaked.

I've had that happen on some old liner locks as well...
Going back to Caly.
average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

Sounds pretty unsafe, glad you got it resolved.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Thanks guys! It has an over travel stop, but obviously that still isn't enough to to prevent tweaking the lock-bar. I figured it needed more tension because it seemed very easy to disengage. I remember if I played with it for a little while the jimping on the insert would start to make my thumb a little sore. It's all good now! :)

Matt