cutlery shoppe pm2 collectible or user?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knifenut1994

cutlery shoppe pm2 collectible or user?

Post by knifenut1994 »

Hi everyone, I received my CS Paramilitary 2 yesterday. And wow, what an amazing knife, I absolutely love everything about it. My question to all of you is, should this knife be put away as a collectible or is it more of a user? I mainly want to know, do you feel like this knife is going to be selling for insanely high prices in 6 months to a year? I could only afford one, and I really want to carry it but I also know its a sprint run and I know sprints can be very valuable after being out for a few months. I don't want to carry it and then find out in a year they are selling for $500 or something crazy. Any input is very appreciated, thank you
bearfacedkiller

Re: cutlery shoppe pm2 collectible or user?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don't think it will be selling in a year for $500. That is a little high. They still haven't even sold out. I think the Para2 madness is subsiding or something or people are waiting for other exclusives/sprints. It will eventually go up but not to anywhere near $500.

I use all my knives. If you bought it to use it then I say use it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I sold my CF s90v clad for $500 and it was WAY more rare than the CS sprint
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Of cause I can be wrong, but for me it is hard to imagine that in a year you will be able to sell it with $100 profit. $50 may be.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

knifenut1994 wrote:Hi everyone, I received my CS Paramilitary 2 yesterday. And wow, what an amazing knife, I absolutely love everything about it. My question to all of you is, should this knife be put away as a collectible or is it more of a user? I mainly want to know, do you feel like this knife is going to be selling for insanely high prices in 6 months to a year? I could only afford one, and I really want to carry it but I also know its a sprint run and I know sprints can be very valuable after being out for a few months. I don't want to carry it and then find out in a year they are selling for $500 or something crazy. Any input is very appreciated, thank you
$175 for a XHP PM2 is kinda ridiculous when you consider that you can get a S30V PM2 off Amazon for $100 dollars, over 40% cheaper and S30V has better potential edge retention. For that reason it seems destined for the dresser.

I'm sure there will be people trying to screw others on Ebay etc when the CS supply runs out, probably for around $300. You would be a fool to pay that much but again it doesn't make sense to pay the current CS price.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

I'd say 250-300 is more likely.. Actually, it'll probably be gone within the week seeing how someone said there was like 50 or so left a few days ago. So....once those are gone the price will jump. It will never be anywhere near $500 though unless you find some unlucky sucker, haha.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Use it.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Keep in mind that this is just the first batch of 800. They have an option for an additional 400 more, so there may likely be another chance to grab one from CS once this first batch finally runs out. I picked up a second 204P one when KW released their second batch...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

The 600 pound gorilla in the room is whether or not CS opts for the additional 400 more that would be in by the end of 2016/early2017. If they don't order the additional 400 then yes the value will rise. $500? No. A ballpark estimate of probably in the $225 to $300 range.

If CS opts for the additional 400 that will keep a lid on prices of the ones already out there.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

They are already actively going for $225 on ebay right now, haha. Yeah.. I don't understand that one. I guess those people aren't aware it's not sold out yet.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Keep in mind that this is just the first batch of 800. They have an option for an additional 400 more, so there may likely be another chance to grab one from CS once this first batch finally runs out. I picked up a second 204P one when KW released their second batch...
Exactly, and between the relatively high initial price and the second-lot overhang, I don't think prices are going to spike up on this one. So, to answer the original question, it's a user, not a collectible to try to make a profit on.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jalcon wrote:They are already actively going for $225 on ebay right now, haha. Yeah.. I don't understand that one. I guess those people aren't aware it's not sold out yet.
Honestly, the explanation is that there are a lot of people on eBay who are uninformed and uninterested in taking any action to become better informed (in other words, stupid and lazy). Things sell above retail all the time on eBay. I don't think it's a reliable predictor of future prices.
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Use it and if you decide to sell it down the road (I would think) you'll get your money back at least. Ive been using mine and LOVE every time I have a chance to take it out of my pocket and use it!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Both :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

I would say use it. Buying a knife for an investment is... not a wise investment. Use it, love it, make it yours. No matter how many knives I will end up with, I want to say I used the **** out of them all.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

bh49 wrote:Of cause I can be wrong, but for me it is hard to imagine that in a year you will be able to sell it with $100 profit. $50 may be.
True but according to a simple interest calculator if you put $175 in a bank for 1 year at 5% interest compounded monthly you would make $8.95.

To make almost $50 in year on $175 the interest rate would need to be 25% interest compounded monthly.

Personally I like using them but if you want to look at the pure speculation side $50 beats $8.95 :cool:
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

JNewell wrote: Exactly, and between the relatively high initial price and the second-lot overhang, I don't think prices are going to spike up on this one. So, to answer the original question, it's a user, not a collectible to try to make a profit on.
JNewell wrote: Honestly, the explanation is that there are a lot of people on eBay who are uninformed and uninterested in taking any action to become better informed (in other words, stupid and lazy). Things sell above retail all the time on eBay. I don't think it's a reliable predictor of future prices.
Trust me, those same people you talk about that are uninformed, do not know about a second lot, lol. If they are going for $225 on ebay now, they will be going for at least 50 bucks more in a few short months.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jalcon wrote:
JNewell wrote: Exactly, and between the relatively high initial price and the second-lot overhang, I don't think prices are going to spike up on this one. So, to answer the original question, it's a user, not a collectible to try to make a profit on.
JNewell wrote: Honestly, the explanation is that there are a lot of people on eBay who are uninformed and uninterested in taking any action to become better informed (in other words, stupid and lazy). Things sell above retail all the time on eBay. I don't think it's a reliable predictor of future prices.
Trust me, those same people you talk about that are uninformed, do not know about a second lot, lol. If they are going for $225 on ebay now, they will be going for at least 50 bucks more in a few short months.
It will bleed back into market pricing as it did with the KW 204P PM2 if they actually get delivered, though when the overhang will actually start to affect pricing, and how much, are just a guess. It was quite noticeable with the KW 204P, but that started at a lower price.
Last edited by JNewell on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I say use it and enjoy it! You can always get another one later as a back-up. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal