Spyderco Consumer Announcement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Spyderco Consumer Announcement

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I was fortunate enough to get to talk to Sal about a few things at the seconds sale. One of those things was the implementation of MAP pricing. I shared my thoughts and he shared some of his. We discussed a little bit why they are doing it and in the end I think that Spyderco is doing what they think is best for everyone. Sal reiterated his "wait and see" attitude and I am sure that if this plan doesn't work that they will change something. Spyderco seems to understand what Darwin was talking about, ya know, adapt or die. I think they will work this out.

Here are a few more thoughts of mine on this;

Spyderco has earned our loyalty because they do right by their customers, us the end user, so why wouldn't they take equally good care of their distributors. I can tell you that they do right by their employees too. Spyderco tries to benefit everybody involved, read their mission statement.

Instead of letting Amazon and Walmart move all the product this plan is intended to produce a more diverse and healthier distribution network. Some people want to cry free market when this happens and I consider myself a Capatalist as well. However, you have to ask yourself if Amazon really is a free market. A free market relies on healthy competition. They sell Spydercos at less than cost. They can do this because they make money on some things and lose money on others and it doesn't matter as long as the make a profit in the end. Most business don't do enough volume to have that option so they cannot compete. This pricing strategy has been in place within supermarkets for decades but a supermarket deals in one main industry. Amazon is a giant that deals in many, many industries. This gives them the kind of extreme leverage in their pricing that I question if the market is really free or not. What if they decided to sell all/most Spydies at below cost for a year so that they thin out or eliminate the competition and then raise prices to make a huge profit and recoup their losses. Is this a free market? This has happened before in industries much bigger than pocketknives. I am not a conspiracy theorist or trying to demonize Amazon but rather just trying to give/get some perspective.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

double tap...
Last edited by Ankerson on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

As with most things in their purest form Pure Capitalism doesn't work because in the end there wouldn't be a free market at all.

So there are laws in place to prevent that from happening, however some things still do happen until the Government can intercede and shut them down.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Ankerson, not to get this offtopic or violate the no political debates, but my question, can you explain why capitalism in its pure form does not work and actually leads to a non free market? Is this because, in general, if left unto itself, companies that grow big and huge enough will lean towards monopolies if they can get away with it, and that undercuts the smaller businesses and sellers who want to get in on the open and free market?

Is this an example? I knew of a situation where a small mom and pop food cart was selling really good food and then one of the big nation-wide franchises moved into the area, and set up shop. Within weeks the mom and pop food cart was gone. When I asked locals and businesspeople what happened to them, there were two main answers: Some claimed the food cart people could not compete with the franchise which sold the same basic food the cart sold, and was more popular, and the second response I got, was that the franchise business actually used their significant pull to complain to the city that because they were paying more in overhead and the city was benefitting, the city should find some local ordinance or other means to close down the food cart.

I don't know which claim was the real one, or, if both had happened.

Anyhow, I support Spyderco and their marketing and pricing policies that they believe work best for them and we the customers, and I will still continue to purchase Spyderco knives as long as I can. Thank you sal and all for the excellent knives :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bh49 wrote:
Ryno wrote:I've considered the purchase price for every item I've ever purchased I am sure most other do too.
Sadly, but I am think that there are plenty of people who do not. Read forums and you will see a lot of "impulse buy". I personally consider myself a very frugal spender in all areas, except my family and Spydercos. :(
When I buy impulsively, I'm still very frugal -- I always check very carefully for the best deal before I get the impuse to spend the money I shouldn't have spent :D :o
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Spyderco is still the best value for the money, as far as I'm concerned. Besides, this does not raise the price THAT much.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

So there are, say, ten retailers who advertise a Chaparral at the same MAP. Any meaningful money savings is now out of the equation. From whom will I choose to buy my Chaparral? The seller with the best customer service. Some will be better than others. The not so good ones will slowly fold due to slow sales. They can't advertise lower prices. At some point the decent sellers will survive, the others won't. Sounds like a good idea to me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
PM1

Post by PM1 »

I have nothing against Amazon and I do buy some products from them. However, I don't want them to be the only choice, so I understand the move to MAP pricing.

There is a good Spyderco dealer locally and that is very helpful to me personally. It is one thing to see something online, but it is another thing altogether to be able to go to a dealer and inspect a fine knife. You feel the balance and the ergonomics. You see the blade centering and grind. You can test for blade play and look for flaws. Of course, most Spyderco knives pass my scrutiny, but I have had several occasions when I either passed on a model or switched to another example of that same model due to my up close and personal inspection. Obviously, not everyone has a good local Spyderco dealer, but for me the advantage is very big. On an expensive purchase, like my recent PITS folder acquisition, I like to KNOW that I like THE EXACT KNIFE THAT I'M GETTING, not THINK that I will like SOME RANDOM KNIFE in that model.

Local dealers have value beyond just price. :cool:
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

DougC-3 wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Ryno wrote:I've considered the purchase price for every item I've ever purchased I am sure most other do too.
Sadly, but I am think that there are plenty of people who do not. Read forums and you will see a lot of "impulse buy". I personally consider myself a very frugal spender in all areas, except my family and Spydercos. :(
When I buy impulsively, I'm still very frugal -- I always check very carefully for the best deal before I get the impuse to spend the money I shouldn't have spent :D :o
I usually balance my frugality and impulsiveness, but it's easy with Spyderco because they are the best deal on the market.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Ankerson, not to get this offtopic or violate the no political debates, but my question, can you explain why capitalism in its pure form does not work and actually leads to a non free market? Is this because, in general, if left unto itself, companies that grow big and huge enough will lean towards monopolies if they can get away with it, and that undercuts the smaller businesses and sellers who want to get in on the open and free market?

Is this an example? I knew of a situation where a small mom and pop food cart was selling really good food and then one of the big nation-wide franchises moved into the area, and set up shop. Within weeks the mom and pop food cart was gone. When I asked locals and businesspeople what happened to them, there were two main answers: Some claimed the food cart people could not compete with the franchise which sold the same basic food the cart sold, and was more popular, and the second response I got, was that the franchise business actually used their significant pull to complain to the city that because they were paying more in overhead and the city was benefitting, the city should find some local ordinance or other means to close down the food cart.

I don't know which claim was the real one, or, if both had happened.

Anyhow, I support Spyderco and their marketing and pricing policies that they believe work best for them and we the customers, and I will still continue to purchase Spyderco knives as long as I can. Thank you sal and all for the excellent knives :)
All I will say is research the Monopoly laws and why they have been created.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

DougC-3 wrote: When I buy impulsively, I'm still very frugal -- I always check very carefully for the best deal before I get the impuse to spend the money I shouldn't have spent :D :o
+1
Exactly my style :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
DougC-3 wrote: When I buy impulsively, I'm still very frugal -- I always check very carefully for the best deal before I get the impuse to spend the money I shouldn't have spent :D :o
+1
Exactly my style :)
+2 Same here. :o My wife lovingly chided me the other day for my buying habits as of late: New Swiss watch, coat, wallet, shirts, etc., etc. :rolleyes: Ah, well. You only live once... :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal