OFFICIAL 2016 Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: OFFICIAL 2016 Discontinued List

Post by bh49 »

I just couldn't resist the price and pick Caly3 at KC. Their price put to shame Amazon.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

There is even better deal at massdrop. I was thinking about getting Starmate, but now I am considering to buy Caly3 for back-up. Who doesn't have Caly3 yet should think about getting one. IMHO this is one of the best production EDC ever made in this price range. The knife is near perfect. The newest knife out of 8, which I ever owned, is the only one, which has gritty action. But probably all of us know how easy to fix it. Just wash and lube.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Ferris Wheels wrote:The Caly 3 is a shock. One of the best EDC's in the lineup in my opinion. Hopefully there is more to the story and this isn't the end of an amazing knife.
I hope too ! ;)
Caly 4 ! Screw construction and other improvements ! :cool: :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Nasgul wrote:
Ferris Wheels wrote:The Caly 3 is a shock. One of the best EDC's in the lineup in my opinion. Hopefully there is more to the story and this isn't the end of an amazing knife.
I hope too ! ;)

The more I think about it, the more I realize I probably don't need screw together construction.

Maybe just add an internal stop pin like the Chaparral, or make the lock like the Native 5, and with that, keep everything else the same and re-release it!!! With HAP40. :D
Going back to Caly.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Nasgul wrote:
Sal commented on more than one occasion that there is no room for screws. And frankly I only once, when I was thinking about getting custom scales, I felt that I would like to have Caly with screws. Other than that I never felt that I am missing screws on my Calys.

Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

I was going to say they could add the lock of the Native 5, I did prefer write "other improvements" as the Native 5 lock could also be add on other models. :)

Why don't you think it don't need screw construction ? I could be nice to make mods on Caly 4 :D

Caly 4 HAP40 :D

@bh49, I remember I already read that.
But :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I cant believe they aren't going to be doing the HAP40 Caly 3 or 3.5, the SB's were such sweet pieces, and highly sought after.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

farnorthdan wrote:I cant believe they aren't going to be doing the HAP40 Caly 3 or 3.5, the SB's were such sweet pieces, and highly sought after.
Yes burnt orange g10 would be sweet
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

farnorthdan wrote:I cant believe they aren't going to be doing the HAP40 Caly 3 or 3.5, the SB's were such sweet pieces, and highly sought after.

Yep, sad indeed. :(
Seems HAP40 is already selling phenomenally well... so for them to not do a Caly is sad for both us the consumers, and Spyderco to miss out on sales!
Maybe we need to start a petition or poll to get HAP40 into an alternative model also.
Going back to Caly.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

SpeedHoles wrote:Maybe just add an internal stop pin like the Chaparral, or make the lock like the Native 5, and with that, keep everything else the same and re-release it!!! With HAP40. :D
Yes, that's what the Caly3 needs most of all. That blade play is annoying and unnecessary. I'd also like to see a Caly3 made something like the Dialex Jr.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
I love the way you thinking.

Donut

Post by Donut »

Maybe they'll take the Caly 3.5 revisions to the Caly 3 and make the handle a tiny bit smaller, but just big enough to get a full hand's grip on.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Donut wrote:Maybe they'll take the Caly 3.5 revisions to the Caly 3 and make the handle a tiny bit smaller, but just big enough to get a full hand's grip on.

I guess I was never aware of revisions to the 3.5 that the 3 did not get...?
Going back to Caly.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

bh49 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I love the way you thinking.
Me too !

You know what ?
Spyderco surely know that frustating customers is a good things... ;)
I didn't say unhappy customers...

Same for all the sprint run, you can be frustrated to not have one ore more :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Donut wrote:Maybe they'll take the Caly 3.5 revisions to the Caly 3 and make the handle a tiny bit smaller, but just big enough to get a full hand's grip on.

I guess I was never aware of revisions to the 3.5 that the 3 did not get...?
Well, the 3.5 came out and when closed, it was almost identical to the Caly 3. When closed, you almost can't tell them apart. They squeezed an extra half inch of blade into the same package, I think the Caly 3.5 is like 1/8" larger when closed next to the Caly 3.

So, they made more use out of the existing handle/space.

Maybe if we're lucky, they'll discontinue the Carbon Fiber/ZDP Caly 3 and have a production Burnt Orange Solid Blade HAP40 version.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote: Maybe if we're lucky, they'll discontinue the Carbon Fiber/ZDP Caly 3 and have a production Burnt Orange Solid Blade HAP40 version.
and Anso style G10 scales :p