My first PM2; should I be scared?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

My first PM2; should I be scared?!

Post by mad german »

Hi folks. I'm not sure what came over me, but when I was getting ready to order my Dragonfly, I saw the PM2 online and couldn't help myself. So I ordered one instead of the DFly.

My biggest concern with the PM2 is the blade staying in the handle when the knife is closed. On my lockback knives the blade snaps into the handle when it's closed. I know it's not going to come open in my pocket. I'm still a little worried that the blade of the PM2 won't close tight enough for me, but we'll see

I got to thinking, I have my Delica, and if I wanted something smaller, I'll just get one of the "bug" knives.

I've always been an admirer of the PM2 and the compression lock, but have never owned one. So soon I'll be able to count myself as one of the millions of PM2 owners!

If anyone can help me out with my question/concern about the blade retention in the handle, I'd sure appreciate it.
My collection is ever changing!
swigert

Re: My first PM2; should I be scared?!

Post by swigert »

Don't worry in any way. It's not coming loose.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I've had my PM2 since spring 2011 and my knife has never had a problem with self opening (the knife has a detent ball to keep the blade secure).

When you first get the knife you'll probably notice how grippy the g10 is but this will smooth out over time so don't worry about it. If you're into tip up carry then you'll probably need to change the pocket clip position (they normally arrive tip down), you can do this with a T6 torx bit (for extra security you might want to add a tiny drop of Loctite to the screws). If the blade is stiff out of the box you'll need to add a bit of lube to the pivot, I've been using wd-40 lately which seems to work pretty good but any mineral oil will do. If it continues to be stiff then unscrew the pivot a touch until you get it dialed in. Finally enjoy your knife and share some photo's with us :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
BTG

Post by BTG »

Your good, I'd be more worried about wanting another, and another.....and another....etc...
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I carry my PM2 nearly every day at work and it has been 100% reliable both closed and open.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Dude cancel youre order mine hust attacked my family and I ran out if bandaids.lol.you have no problem its not tge most popular folder out there cause it has flaws.it locks into place just fine it only swings freely when you are compressing the lockbar.you are absolutely going to love it.you should be scared about the money you are going to spend now on sprints and exclusives.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Your wallet should be scared. :)

I carry a Para2 more than any other knife model and mine has never come open in my pocket. Carry it with the blade against the seam of your pocket if you are really worried about it. I am a tip down right rear pocket kind of guy myself.

Enjoy your Para2, they are awesome. The Para2 and Delica are my faves.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Why are you scared of knifes, seriously, you should be scared of going bankrupt, buying spydies is like doing crack, you wont stop at 1, 2, 10 20, 50.......
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

So it begins...:).Dont wory,the blade retention is flawless,even if you cary tip down,and the compresion lock is simply awesome.I wish it was on more knives.You will LOVE your PM,but you should buy a DF,too.Its a functional jewelry of a knife.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

As others have said, the detent is fine. I have never had one open unless I opened it. I carry one most days, tip up.

The real fear (again as previously noted) is that you'll become hooked on them ... because you probably will ...

Welcome! :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

You shouldn't have any issues on the PM2 opening, especially if you carry it tip-down. The detent is pretty decent on mine and I've never had an accidental opening on a PM2.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Your wallet should be scared. :)
This.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden